The National Board of Examinations (NBE) administers the NEET PG entrance exam to select candidates for admission to various postgraduate medical programs in India, including the MD (Doctor of Medicine), MS (Master of Surgery), and PG Diploma programs. For medical graduates who want to further their careers and pursue further study in the medical industry, passing the test is crucial.
A vast number of schools and universities throughout the nation examine the NEET PG results for admission to their postgraduate medical programs. The test is held once a year. In this blog post, we shall be providing you with all the relevant details regarding the NEET PG entrance exam.The test is thought to be extremely competitive and necessitates careful planning, solid preparation, and in-depth knowledge of the relevant medical topics.
We will give a thorough overview of the NEET PG entrance exam in this blog, including the prerequisites, the format of the test, preparation advice, and key dates. This blog will provide you with the knowledge you need regarding the NEET PG entrance test, whether you are a medical graduate who is just starting your path or someone who is trying to advance in their field.
What all is covered in this post?
To have a clear understanding of the NEET PG Entrance Exam, we have come up with a blog to help you out.
Overview of the NEET PG Entrance Exam
The National Board of Examinations (NBE) administers the NEET PG test, also known as the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Post Graduate Medical Courses, which is an all-India level entrance examination for admission to different MD/MS and PG Diploma programs in India. There are 300 multiple-choice questions on topics taught in the MBBS in the test, which is typically given in January. The exam lasts for three hours and thirty minutes. Numerous medical colleges and organizations utilize the exam score to determine admission to postgraduate medical programs. It is administered online.
Purpose of NEET PG Exam
The NEET PG exam serves as a standard entrance examination for enrollment in postgraduate medical programs (MD/MS and PG Diploma) in India. The purpose of the test is to
- Evaluate applicants’ knowledge and proficiency in the disciplines covered by the MBBS program. Many medical colleges and institutes around the nation utilize the NEET PG test score to determine who gets admitted to postgraduate medical programs.
- Establishing a minimum requirement for admission to postgraduate medical schools, the test aids in leveling the playing field for medical graduates from various regions of the nation and ensures the quality of medical education.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Eligibility Criteria for NEET PG Exam
The following qualifications must be met in order to take the NEET PG exam:
- The candidate must possess an MBBS degree or a Provisional MBBS Pass Certificate that has been approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- The candidate must have finished a one-year, required rotating internship before the 31st of March of the admissions year.
- Indian nationality is a requirement for the position.
- MCI/State Medical Council Registration: The candidate must be in possession of a current MCI/State Medical Council-issued permanent or provisional registration certificate of MBBS qualification.
- There is no upper age limit for participating in NEET PG.
👉 Know About Top 5 States Which Records Highest Registration- NEET UG Application 2023
Exam format and structure
The exam pattern of NEET PG is as follows:
- Mode of Examination: NEET PG exams are conducted in computer-based mode.
- Time Duration: Candidates have to complete the test within the estimated time i.e., 3 hours 30 min.
- Total Questions and Marks: There will be a total of 200 questions and the candidate can score a maximum of 800 marks in the exam.
- Type of Questions: Objective-type multiple questions.
The Graduate Medical Education Regulations, which were made public by the Medical Council of India, serve as the basis for the NEET-PG exam’s syllabus. The applicants must become ready for the subjects they studied for their MBBS. The table below shows the distribution of questions by subject: It covers issues that are clinical, pre-clinical, and para-clinical.
|Part A – Pre-Clinical||Part B – Para-Clinical||Part C – Clinical|
|Biochemistry||Microbiology||General Medicine Including Dermatology & Psychiatry|
|Physiology||Pathology||General Surgery Including Orthopaedics, Anaesthesia, & Radiodiagnosis|
|Social and Preventive Medicine||Obstetrics and Gynaecology|
Timeline of NEET PG Exam
The usual timeline for NEET PG is as follows;
|Release of information bulletin||First week of Jan|
|NEET PG Registration Date||First week of Jan|
|Re-opening window||Second week of February|
|Edit window||Third week of February|
|Final correction window||Third week of February|
|Admit Card Release Date||Fourth week of February|
|NEET PG Exam Date||First week of March|
|NEET PG Result Date||Last week of March|
Recommended books and study materials
All competitive examination requires effort and study materials to refer from so is NEET PG. Given below are some of the names of the books highly recommended by the teachers:
- DAMS Beat the NEET
- All India PG Medical Entrance Exam with Answers
- Postgraduate Medical Entrance Exam Volume 2 & 3
- DNB CET Review for Primary and Post Diploma
- Self-Assessment and Review of NEET Pattern Question
Expert advice and mistakes to avoid while NEET PG preparation
Making the most of your NEET PG preparation requires expert assistance. Setting attainable goals and having a defined plan is crucial. Prioritize the subjects that will be tested most frequently and spend more time learning them. Utilize study tools and take as many mock exams as you can to hone your time management skills and gain an understanding of the exam format. To prevent burnout, it’s also a good idea to take pauses and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Procrastination, ignoring fundamental ideas, depending only on study resources, and not treating mock exams seriously are some frequent pitfalls to avoid when preparing for the NEET PG exam. Students sometimes disregard the value of taking breaks and leading a balanced lifestyle. To do well on the test and earn the score you want, it’s critical to stay away from these blunders. Furthermore, anytime you have trouble comprehending a certain topic or concept, it is advised to ask for assistance from professionals, peers, or internet forums.
Top Colleges for NEET PG
Here is the list of the top 10 colleges that accept NEET PG scores based on their latest NIRF Rankings 2022.
|Name of the college||NIRF Rankings 2022|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore||03|
|Sanjay Gandhi PG Institute of Medical Sciences||07|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||10|
|King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||11|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai||12|
|St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore||14|
|Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai||15|
|Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital||19|
|Institute of PG Medical Education and Research, Kolkata||21|
|Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi||23|
Cut-off scores and counselling process
Cut-offs are a variable factor and it changes every year. It is very hard to predict the cut-offs but we can definitely have a range of safe scores. Here’s a table that contains the qualifying percentile and the range of safe score category wise.
|Category||NEET PG Revised Qualifying Percentile||NEET PG Range of Safe Scores|
The NEET PG results are released on their official website which is www.nbe.edu.in. Candidates need to log in with their credentials to check their results. Rankings have a huge impact on the chances of final admission. The higher you will rank, the higher will be the chance of admission.
NEET PG Counseling Process
The NEET PG counseling involves the following processes;
- NEET PG Result Announcement: A few days after the test is taken, the results of NEET PG are often announced. The merit list of candidates who have been selected for the counseling procedure is made public by the NBE.
- Online Counseling Registration: The next step is to sign up for the counseling procedure. On the official website of the counseling authority, registration is completed online.
- Choice Filling and Locking: After completing the registration process, candidates must log into their accounts to select the institutions and courses they want to take, ranking them according to preference. It is crucial to carefully complete the options since once they are locked, they cannot be modified.
- Seat Allocation: The counseling authority will assign seats to candidates based on their qualifications and preferences. Candidates are notified of the seat allocation results through email and SMS and the results are made public online.
- Reporting to Allotted Institution: Candidates who have been given a seat must go to the college they have been assigned to in order to finish the admissions process. They must have the required paperwork and payments.
- Seat Upgrade: If any seats remain empty following the first round of counseling, a second round of counseling is held for seat upgrades. Those candidates who have previously been given a seat may run in this round as well.
- Final Round of Counseling: If any seats remain unfilled after the second round of counseling, a third round is held, and any open seats are filled.
Documents Required for NEET PG counseling and admission
The list of documents that must be presented in order to be admitted to National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Postgraduate (PG) programs is as follows:
- NEET PG Admit Card
- NEET PG Scorecard
- MBBS Degree Certificate
- Permanent Medical Registration Certificate
- Internship Completion Certificate
- Identity Proof
- Recent Photograph
- Category Certificates (if applicable)
For medical graduates seeking admission to postgraduate medical programs in India, the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Postgraduate (NEET PG) is an important entrance test. The test measures the applicants’ knowledge and proficiency in a range of medical and surgical-related topics. The outcomes of NEET PG determine a candidate’s eligibility for admission to programs like MD, MS, and PG Diploma. The allocation of seats to qualified applicants based on their merits and preferences is a crucial part of the counseling process in the admissions process. The candidates should be thoroughly prepared for the test and keep track of all crucial dates and deadlines associated with the counselling procedure.
Hope we would have been able to provide you with all the information that you need regarding NEET PG entrance exam. Still, got questions? Why don’t you connect with our industry experts? Yes, you read it right! You can get your queries resolved in just 60 seconds from our Career counselors. So, what are you waiting for? Download the app now!
iDreamCareer has helped millions of young minds like you from 9th class, 10th class, class 11, and class 12 discover their true mettle and is ready to help you too.
- NEET Syllabus and Pattern 2023
- Guide on NEET and How To Crack NEET
- How to Crack NEET in First Attempt
- NEET Eligibility Marks in 12th
- NEET Counseling (UG)
- NEET 2023 Exam Date Announced
NEET PG Entrance Exam: FAQs
NEET PG is a national-level entrance examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) for admission to postgraduate medical courses in India, such as MD, MS, and PG Diploma.
Medical graduates who have completed their MBBS degree and have completed their compulsory one-year rotating internship are eligible to appear for NEET PG.
NEET PG is a computer-based test consisting of 300 multiple-choice questions to be completed in three hours.
The merit list for NEET PG is prepared based on the marks obtained by the candidates in the examination. The marks are used to rank the candidates and the top-ranked candidates are eligible for admission to the postgraduate medical courses.
Yes, there is a reservation policy for NEET PG as per the government norms for candidates belonging to reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC. The reservation policy is applicable at the time of counseling and admission.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
Watch Out for These Coolest High Paying Arts Stream JobsAugust 12, 20226 Comments|
Importance of Co-Curricular Activities for StudentsAugust 27, 202250 Comments|
Holistic development for Students: Meaning & ImportanceMarch 27, 202054 Comments|
13 Best Jobs for Women in the 21st CenturyMarch 30, 20209 Comments|
How to Get into IIT: A-Z GuideFebruary 12, 202313 Comments|
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.
There is definitely a lot to find out about this subject. I like all the points you made