Are you ready to take a leap toward your dream of pursuing an MBA from India’s premier B-schools? The CAT exam 2023 is your gateway to unlocking a world of opportunities, and the clock is ticking! With registrations already underway on the official website iimcat.ac.in, aspiring candidates who meet the CAT eligibility criteria for 2023 can now seize their chance to shine.
The last date to apply for the CAT exam 2023 is September 13, 2023. This year, IIM Lucknow released the official notification on July 30, 2023. This includes the announcement of an increased application fee. General candidates will contribute INR 2400 towards the CAT application fee, while SC/ST/PwD candidates will only need to pay INR 1200.
Breaking news from the CAT corner…
IIM Lucknow has set the stage for a grand event on November 26, 2023. Yes, that’s the day when thousands of brilliant minds will put their analytical prowess to the test. But before the big day, the CAT exam 2023 admit cards will be released on October 25, 2023.
This crucial examination will be held across 300 test centers spanning 155 cities throughout India. Dr. Sanjeet Singh (faculty at IIM Lucknow) is appointed as the Governor of “CAT Exam 2023”. The CAT exam draws a significant number of applicants, with over 2 lakh candidates applying annually. In the previous year’s IIM CAT exam, around 2.55 lakh candidates registered, out of which approximately 2.22 lakh candidates participated.
All set to dive in? But before that let’s first understand…
What is the CAT exam?
The full form of the CAT exam is Common Admission Test. It is a highly competitive and widely recognized entrance examination conducted in India. It serves as a crucial gateway for admission to prestigious management programs offered by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and various other top-tier business schools across the country. The examiners have designed the exam to assess candidates’ aptitude in various areas such as verbal ability, quantitative aptitude, data interpretation, logical reasoning, and more.
The CAT exam 2023 has gained recognition for its thorough and all-encompassing assessment process. It not only assesses a candidate’s subject knowledge but also evaluates their critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and time management abilities rigorously. They conduct the exam annually and follow a computer-based format, wherein candidates respond to a set of questions within a specific time frame. Admission committees often consider CAT scores alongside academic records, work experience, and personal interviews, giving them substantial weight in the admission process.
What is the purpose of the CAT Exam?
The primary purpose of the CAT exam is to serve as a standardized and objective assessment tool for selecting candidates for admission to various management programs offered by prestigious institutions in India, particularly the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). The CAT exam 2023 aims to achieve several key objectives:
- Selection of Candidates: The CAT exam helps institutions identify and select candidates with strong aptitude, problem-solving skills, and analytical thinking, which are essential qualities for success in the field of management.
- Fair and Transparent Evaluation: By conducting a computer-based test with a standardized question format, the CAT exam ensures a level playing field for all candidates and minimizes biases in evaluation.
- Merit-Based Admissions: The exam aids in making admissions decisions based on merit, allowing deserving candidates from diverse academic backgrounds to secure admission to top-tier management programs.
- Quality Education: Institutes that use CAT scores for admissions typically offer high-quality management education, fostering the development of future leaders and managers.
- Industry Demand: The CAT exam prepares students to meet the demands of the rapidly evolving corporate landscape by assessing their ability to handle complex business scenarios.
- National and International Recognition: Many international business schools recognize CAT scores, not only across India but also, opening opportunities for global education and career prospects.
The CAT exam is essential for identifying talent, granting access to top-notch management education, and nurturing skilled professionals who excel across diverse economic sectors.
CAT exam eligibility
The CAT is a prestigious entrance examination conducted by the IIMs for admission to their various management programs. To appear for the CAT exam, candidates must meet certain eligibility criteria as outlined below:
Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree awarded by a recognized university or educational institution. The minimum marks required are 50% (45% for SC/ST/PwD candidates) or an equivalent CGPA. The university or institution should be incorporated by an Act of Parliament or State Legislature in India or declared as a deemed university under the UGC Act, 1956.
Candidates in the Final Year
Candidates who are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification can also apply. Nonetheless, if selected, they must provide a certificate from their university or institution affirming their completion of all degree requirements by a specified date.
Candidates must fulfill the eligibility conditions in the following ways:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree with the required percentage.
- Possession of a professional degree like CA/CS/ICWA/FIAI with the required percentage.
- Being in the final year of a Bachelor’s degree with the required percentage.
Universities or institutions calculate the candidate’s percentage of marks based on the practices they follow. The university utilizes its certified procedure to transform grades/CGPA into a percentage of marks. If a university lacks a conversion scheme, they divide the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum attainable CGPA and then multiply it by 100 to establish equivalence.
Verification of Eligibility
IIMs may verify eligibility at different stages of the selection process. Fulfilling the minimum criteria doesn’t guarantee shortlisting. Candidates must maintain a valid and unique email account and mobile number throughout the process.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Important Dates: CAT exam 2023
Here’s a table showing all the important events related to the CAT exam:
|CAT exam 2023 important events||Dates|
|Official Notification||30th July 2023|
|Registration start date||2 Aug ’23 (10:00 AM)|
|Last date of registration||13th September 2023 (5:00 PM)|
|Form correction process||To Be Notified Soon|
|CAT exam 2023 admit card download||25 Oct ’23 – 26 Nov ’23|
|CAT 2023 mock test release||To Be Notified Soon|
|CAT 2023 exam||26 Nov ’23|
|CAT 2023 answer key challenge||To Be Notified Soon|
|CAT 2023 result announcement||The second week of January 2024 (Tentative)|
CAT registration fees:
Candidates can pay the registration fee through various modes, including online payment gateways, credit/debit cards, net banking, and other electronic payment options. The registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. This year IIM has increased the registration fee. Here’s the updated registration fee for your reference:
- General and for other categories = Rs. 2400
- SC, ST, and PwD category = Rs. 1200
Now, let’s discuss the registration process but before that let’s have a look at…
Things to know before registering
Here are certain important points you need to consider before starting your CAT exam 2023 registration process:
- Eligibility Check: Before you begin the registration process, make sure to review the eligibility criteria outlined in the CAT 2023 Eligibility document available on the official website.
- Valid Contact Information: Ensure you possess a valid and unique email address and mobile number. Please ensure the security of these credentials, as we will use these channels for all official communications regarding the CAT Admission process.
- Mandatory Fields: Keep an eye out for fields marked with an asterisk (*) as they are mandatory. Failure to complete these fields will prevent you from submitting your CAT 2023 application.
- Preparation: Gather all necessary information before filling out the application form. Familiarize yourself with the six sections: Personal Details, Academics, Work Experience, Programmes, Test City, and Payment, to ensure you meet the requirements.
- Photo and Signature: Prepare scanned images of your recent passport-size photo and signature. The photograph should feature a white background and be no older than six months. Remember that you need to bring printed copies of the same photograph on the exam day (November 26, 2023).
- Accuracy and Authenticity: Carefully verify the accuracy and authenticity of the information you provide in the CAT 2023 application form. This information will be considered final for all subsequent admission processes, and we will not entertain requests for changes in the future.
Now it’s time to discuss…
CAT exam 2023: Steps to Register
The CAT exam 2023 registration process consists of three essential steps – online registration, filling out the CAT application form, and payment of fees. Below is a detailed breakdown of each step:
Register for CAT 2023 – Step 1
- Visit the Official CAT Website: Access the official CAT website at iimcat.ac.in to initiate the registration process.
- New Candidate Registration: Under the ‘New Candidate Registration’ tab, click on ‘Register’.
- Enter Personal Information: Provide your name, date of birth, email ID, mobile phone number, and nationality.
- Generate OTP: Click on ‘Generate OTP’ to receive a One-Time Password on your registered mobile number.
- OTP Verification: Verify your registration by entering the OTP received.
Filling up CAT Application Form – Step 2
- Receive User ID and Password: Upon successful registration, you’ll receive a user ID and password on your registered email and mobile.
- Log in and Fill Form: Use the provided user ID and password to log in again and access the CAT application form.
- Personal Details: Fill in essential personal information, including name, gender, communication address, category, and more.
- Academic Details: Enter scores of class 10 and 12 exams, bachelor’s degree details, mark sheets, and any other professional course information.
- Work Experience (if applicable): If you have relevant work experience, provide details like company name, employment duration, designation, etc.
- Programs and Institutes: Select your preferred IIM institutes and MBA courses in India.
- Test City Preference: Indicate your preferred test cities (up to six) in order of preference.
- Payment: Choose from payment options like Credit/Debit Card, Internet Banking, or Paytm/PayU mobile wallets to pay the CAT application fee.
Payment of CAT Registration Fee – Step 3
- Complete Form Sections: Please make sure all the previous sections are accurately filled out before continuing.
- Save and Continue: Click ‘Save and Continue’ to reach the payment window.
- Application Fee Payment: Make the necessary payment for the CAT registration cum application fee using the chosen payment method.
Remember to keep track of important dates, deadlines, and notifications from the CAT conducting body. Following these steps meticulously will ensure a smooth registration process for the CAT exam in 2023. For more information refer to this official bulletin: https://cdn.digialm.com/per/g01/pub/756/EForms/CAT23/CAT_2023_Registration_Guide.pdf
The officials tentatively expect to publish the CAT results on the official website in January. This outcome holds substantial importance for aspirants seeking admission to prestigious Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other premier B-schools.
The CAT 2023 results will retain their validity until December 2024. This timeframe provides successful candidates with the flexibility to utilize their scores for admissions in the academic year 2023-24. In addition to unveiling the results, the IIMs are going to announce the cut-off scores for the 2024-26 batch. These cutoffs serve as benchmarks that aspiring candidates need to meet to progress to the subsequent stages of the admission process.
It is important to note that the CAT exam does not involve centralized counseling. Instead, each IIM independently manages its selection procedure, encompassing interviews and other admission rounds. This decentralized approach allows each institute to tailor its evaluation process according to its unique requirements and priorities.
Also, read: How to crack the CAT exam in the first attempt?
CAT’s previous year cut off
The CAT cutoffs for admissions to prestigious IIMs and top MBA colleges like FMS, SPJIMR, IMT, and MICA typically range between 95-100 percentile, varying among categories. For General category students, this year witnessed cutoffs in the 98-100 percentile range. Institutions unveil qualifying CAT cutoffs for WAT-PI shortlisting before announcing the results, but they reveal final CAT cutoffs post-results or during PI shortlisting. These stringent cutoffs reflect the competitive nature of the selection process, emphasizing the significance of a high CAT score for admission prospects.
For your reference, here’s a table showcasing the previous year’s CAT exam cutoff
|Institute Name||Qualifying CAT cut-offs|
CAT qualifying cut off vs CAT final cutoff: Difference
The CAT cutoffs are categorized into two distinct phases: the qualifying cutoff and the final cutoff. The qualifying cutoff is the initial benchmark that candidates need to surpass to advance to the next rounds of selection. These cutoffs are often released well in advance, providing aspiring candidates with a sense of the minimum score they must achieve to secure a chance at the next stage. However, it’s important to note that meeting the qualifying cutoff does not guarantee admission but rather a chance to compete further.
On the other hand, the final CAT cutoff comes into play after the CAT results are announced and the subsequent selection rounds are conducted. This cutoff is the ultimate criterion used by institutes to select candidates for admission. It’s typically higher than the qualifying cutoff, as it factors in the overall performance of candidates across various stages, including CAT scores, WAT, PI, academic records, and work experience.
The distinction between the qualifying and final cutoff underscores the rigorous and multi-faceted nature of the selection process for these esteemed institutions. Candidates must not only achieve a competitive CAT score but also excel in subsequent rounds to secure their spot. The final CAT cutoff encapsulates the collective evaluation, ensuring that candidates selected possess not only strong academic abilities but also well-rounded qualities conducive to success in the business world.
CAT exam 2023 scores
CAT 2023, the prestigious management entrance exam in India, is set to introduce a novel approach to its scoring system, aiming to ensure fairness and equity among candidates across different test sessions. The exam will be conducted in three sessions, each employing distinct Test Forms. To uphold the integrity of the evaluation process, scores will undergo a comprehensive Normalization procedure, aligning for variations in location and scale of score distributions across different forms.
Session-based Test Forms
In a departure from the conventional single-test approach, CAT 2023 will administer three different Test Forms across its three sessions. This decision aims to prevent any undue advantages stemming from test familiarity, thus promoting a level playing field for all participants.
Employing the Normalisation process, similar to established practices in various large-scale educational selection tests in India like GATE, will neutralize discrepancies in scores due to test form variations. This entails adjusting for both location and scale differences in score distributions.
Apart from normalization across different forms, CAT 2023 will also ensure fairness within sections. Percentile equivalence will be employed for normalization across sections, including Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Ability (QA).
Conversion to Percentiles
After the comprehensive normalization process, the Scaled Scores obtained will be converted into percentiles. These percentiles will not only serve the purpose of shortlisting but also offer a standardized metric for assessing candidates’ performance across the diverse range of test forms and sections.
Transparency and Integrity
The CAT 2023 scoring system stands as a testament to its commitment to transparency and integrity. By employing advanced Normalisation techniques and percentiles, the exam organizers are actively mitigating any biases arising from test variations, ensuring a level and just assessment of all candidates.
For more information refer to the official bulletin: https://cdn.digialm.com/per/g01/pub/756/EForms/CAT23/Scaled_Score_Calculation.pdf
Now comes the most crucial part of the journey, i.e., what books should I read to clear the CAT exam?
CAT exam 2023: Important Books to Consider
When gearing up for the CAT 2023 exam, selecting the right study materials is paramount. These resources cover diverse subjects – Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Verbal Ability, and Reading Comprehension.
Optimal CAT 2023 exam books not only comprehensively cover the syllabus but also offer ample practice through mock tests and practice exams. These books delve deep into concepts and offer problem-solving insights and time-management strategies. Alongside conventional textbooks, students can leverage online tools like video lectures and interactive quizzes to enhance their preparation effectively.
Here are some of the important books to consider for CAT exam preparation:
- “How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT” by Arun Sharma
- “How to Prepare for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning for CAT” by Arun Sharma
- “Word Power Made Easy” by Norman Lewis
- “High School English Grammar & Composition” by Wren & Martin
- “Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT” by Nishit K. Sinha
- “Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT” by Sarvesh K. Verma
- “Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT” by Nishit K. Sinha
- “A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning” by R.S. Aggarwal
- “How to Prepare for the CAT” by Arun Sharma (for overall strategy and tips)
Keep in mind that although I highly recommend these books, it’s also important for you to practice with previous years’ CAT papers and participate in mock tests to evaluate your progress and enhance your test-taking skills. Additionally, consider supplementing your preparation with online resources like video lectures and practice quizzes.
The CAT exam 2023 presents a pivotal opportunity for aspirants to showcase their aptitude and secure a path toward prestigious management institutes. Successful preparation requires a strategic blend of rigorous study, consistent practice, and time management. Emphasize mastering core concepts, utilize mock tests for self-assessment, and cultivate a calm mindset to navigate the exam day pressure. Balancing study with relaxation, staying updated with exam patterns, and seeking guidance from mentors can significantly enhance your chances of success.
Remember, CAT is not just a test; it’s a journey of self-discovery and growth. Embrace the challenge, stay focused, and give it your all. But one thing that needs to be kept in mind is that “it’s just an exam, not the end”! So, stay strong and motivated…
iDreamCareer offers a comprehensive list of the top colleges in India for those who want a successful career. They provide detailed information about admission processes, available courses, fees, and other important details. This resource helps students make informed choices about their future. Don’t wait any longer! Explore iDreamCareer’s College Selection Program now and take the first step toward your dream career.
Other Competitive Exams:
The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a national-level management entrance exam conducted annually in India. It is used for admission to various postgraduate management programs, including MBA, offered by Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other prestigious business schools.
Yes, the registration process for CAT 2023 has been initiated on August 2, 2023, led by IIM Lucknow. Interested candidates can access the CAT application form on the official website, imcat.ac.in, until September 13. The notification for CAT 2023 has been released by IIM Lucknow and can be found on iimcat.ac.in.
The CAT exam 2023 is scheduled to be held on 26th November 2023. This crucial examination will be held across 300 test centers spanning 155 cities throughout India.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree with at least 50% aggregate marks (45% for SC/ST/PWD candidates) or an equivalent CGPA from a recognized university or institution. Final-year students are also eligible to apply.
You can apply for the CAT exam online through the official CAT website. The application process usually involves creating an account, filling in personal and academic details, uploading required documents, and paying the application fee.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.