What after 12th? What courses after 12th? What to do after 12th? These are just a few of the questions which you must have thought about when you crossed your first milestone of the 10th board examination. Well! You are not alone. These are the key questions that almost every student in every country asks.
Some of you might have already thought quite a lot about it and are already on a path to realize your dream courses after 12th or best courses after 12th. But for many, there could still be a lot of confusion. And even if you have a plan, there could be some worries and rightfully so.
For example, do you know that 80% of graduating engineers in India are not employable? Meaning that they may not get a job after completing their BE/BTech. According to the Annual Employability Survey 2019 report by Aspiring Minds, 80% of Indian engineers are not fit for any job in the knowledge economy – mostly in the information technology sector.
Think about it. Do you know there are only about 79,000 MBBS seats in 535 medical colleges in India? How many students appeared for NEET UG in 2019? Well, 14,10,755. That is 1.4 million students! So how many seats are there for a student? Only approx. 5.6 seats per 100 students.
Career Counselors Can Help You Manage a Career Crisis
Phew! That’s some competition. And what’s this about Engineering? Should you think about it or should you not? If you are a bit confused about the best courses after 12th or the high salary courses after 12th, then you are not alone.
So, what to do after class 12th? It’s ok to ask and it’s ok to know the right information before you make your choice.
So, there are questions and there could be some confusion. It’s ok to ask and it’s ok to search and learn about the right information before you make your choice. There are plenty of options to choose the best courses after 12th from – courses which fit your ambitions and courses which answer the questions ‘what to do after 12th‘ and ‘career options after 12th’ very well.
To help you make a well informed and good decision about what you do after 12th, iDreamCareer offers information on more than 550 careers and more than 2200 career specialization pathways. This in-depth information helps you to get answers to questions like – what are the career options after 12th, what are the best courses after 12th, and how to go about.
Best courses after 12th? How do you decide? Here’s a quick student guide.
Before you jump on to see what are the options available for various streams – Arts, Commerce, Science with PCM, Science with PCB, Arts with Mathematics, Humanities, Liberal Arts, and so on, first think about two broad options and a key decision point:
Option A: Continue with your existing stream and go for higher studies
If you have an interest in a particular stream or a subject and have been performing well in the same, it might be the right career option after 12th. In order to make the best of the opportunities your way, we suggest you avail of help from a career guide to understand the latest career trends related to it.
Option B: Switch to a New Stream and Go for Higher Education
Many times, our personal choices may not turn out to be a good professional choice. Depending on your aptitude and personal interest, you can pick different courses after 12th and have a bright career. Just be careful while applying for a course as many colleges prefer students with a strong background in particular subjects.
Key decision point: Which entrance examination to take for admission to the best courses after 12th?
You can sit for entrance exams related to your chosen stream and subject of study after class 12th. Every year students prepare diligently to crack entrance exams. Most reputed colleges offering a plethora of courses after 12th have also adopted the trend of taking entrance tests. As many of these entrance examinations are scheduled at different times of the year, a career guide after 12th can really help you stay prepared and updated with the examination schedule.
Click here to seek Career Counselling in Delhi
Top courses after 12th Class
Let’s look at some of the conventional as well as exciting college courses after class 12th that you can do to build a successful career.
Options after 12th Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- Exciting and futuristic engineering disciplines: these will make you future ready
- Data Science and Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Information Science & Engineering
- Bioengineering (you can do even if you have studied PCM only)
- Biomedical Engineering (you can do even if you have studied PCM only)
- Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology (you can do even if you have studied PCM only)
- Engineering disciplines which will always keep you job-ready: if you do not get a seat in the above-mentioned disciplines then these will surely lead you to one of the best career options after 12th
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Engineering
- Core Engineering disciplines which could also be good: these may help you to switch into many other fields later
- Other exciting options and few conventional options after which you can go for higher studies. Some of these are truly like high salary courses after 12th Science:
- Industrial Design/Product Design/Vehicle Design
- Data Science/ Data Analytics
- Nautical Science/ Merchant Navy Training
- Commercial Pilot License
- Fashion Technology
Options after 12th Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology
- Options in Medical Science: there will always be high demand
- MBBS (Medicine & Surgery)
- BAMS (Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery)
- BHMS (Homoeopathic Medicine & Surgery)
- BNYS (Naturopathy & Yogic Science)
- BDS (Dental Science)
- Options in Pharmaceutical Sciences which can lead you to exciting career options
- B.Pharm. (4 years)
- Pharm.D. (6 years)
- Some options in Allied Medical Sciences in which you will find plenty of job opportunities:
- B.Sc. Nursing
- B.Sc. Radiology / Medical Imaging Technology
- B.Sc. Cardiovascular Technology/ Perfusion Technology
- B.Sc. Respiratory Therapy Technology
- B.Sc. Dialysis Technology
- B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology
- B.Sc. Emergency & Critical Care Technology
- B.Sc. Operation Theatre and Anaesthesia Technologies
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Audiology Speech-Language Therapy
- Bachelor of Optometry
- Few good fundamental biological science options for a good career after 12th or for doing higher studies after graduation in these:
- Biological Science/ Bioscience/ Biology (B.S. or Integrated M.S course)
- Botany / Zoology / Physiology
- Food Science/ Food Science & Technology
- Fisheries Science
Click and Reach Career Counselling in Mumbai
Options in Arts and Humanities stream courses after 12th – you may even switch into these after 12th in any stream and subject
- Exciting options – if you want to give yourself plenty of pathways for higher studies and want to be on track to build a good career after 12th
- Bachelor in Liberal Arts
- B.A. Economics
- B.A. Psychology
- B.A. Sociology
- B.A. in Political Science
- B.A. Geography
Options in Business & Commerce stream courses after 12th – you may even switch into these after 12th in any stream and subject
- Good options – if you can be good in these, you can have a grand career
- B.B.A. / B.M.S. / B.B.M. (especially with specializations in Data Science, Data Analytics, Finance, etc.)
- B.Com. with Accounting and Finance
- B.Com. (with Information Technology, Computer Applications, Marketing, Finance, etc.)
- CA (Chartered Accountancy)
- CS (Company Secretary)
- CMA (Cost & Management Accountancy)
Options open to all with any stream and courses after 12th – some of these may get you a job right after graduation
- Interested in the legal side of our life, society, and business?
- B.A. LL.B. / B.Sc. LL.B./ B.Com. LL.B./ B.B.A. LL.B. (5-years course)
- For those of you with an artistic bent of mind (you can do a Bachelor’s degree like B.Des. / B.Sc. or a 3 or 4 year Diploma):
- Fashion/ Apparel / Costume / Knitwear Design
- Textile Design / Surface Design
- Fashion Merchandising
- Lifestyle Accessories Design/ Leather Design/ Jewellery Design
- Animation Design
- Visual Communication Design
- Graphic Design/ Web Design/ UI-UX Design
- Digital Design
- Film and Video Design / SFX/ VFX Design
- Game Design
- Fine Arts/ Visual Arts/ Sculpture
- Material Design/ Ceramic Design/ Craft Design
- Interior / Furniture Design
- And many other
- For those with a gift of language and communication
- Bachelor in Journalism and Mass Communication / Mass Media Studies / Similar
- Bachelor in English/ other languages
- Looking for career options where there are many jobs after a degree?
- Hotel Management/ Hotel & Catering Administration and Management
- Culinary Arts / Bakery & Confectionary
- Travel and Tourism Management/ Travel Administration / Aviation Management
- Tea Tasting
- Love computers? A few good options for you after 12th:
- B.Sc. IT (some colleges need Mathematics in 12th for this)
Too many good options, which one should you go for? What are the best fit courses after 12th for you?
Going through this list, you might be thinking that this is a problem of plenty. But wait! In fact, what you have read above is just a glimpse into what all the courses you can do after 12th. There could be more than 550 careers to explore and more than 2000 educational options after 12th. Complicated?
How will you then choose what courses you should do after the 12th? What are the best courses after 12th for you? What are careers? You could still have these kinds of questions in your mind.
Follow a simple process
Step 1: Understand what your real strengths and weaknesses are – your aptitudes, interests, and personality traits. Read about how occupational interests influence your career choice.
Step 2: Narrow down your searches to a few clusters of careers that are the best fit for you in the future (as per your attitudes, interests, and personality).
Step 3: Student’s Guide: Courses After 12th Class for you and check what courses you must do after 12th to pursue these careers.
Step 4: Take the help of an expert who can help you make an informed choice.
Get started now!
Find out how an expert career guide and detailed career information can help you. Find out all about the courses after 12th and what would be the best choice for you.
- The Complete List of Over 300+ Best Courses after 12th Commerce (Latest)
- Top Courses after 12th Science PCM – The Only Full Comprehensive Guide
- The No. #1 Comprehensive Guide to All the Courses Without Maths After 12th (Updated lists)
- Complete Lists of Engineering Courses after 12th– All Disciplines (+Top Colleges & Recruiters)
- 20 Most Beneficial Government Exams after 12th
- Science Courses after 12th PCB and PCM | The no. #1 Comprehensive Guide
- Career Options after 12th Humanities: A Comprehensive Guide to Pursue a Successful Career
After acquiring a bachelor’s degree in Pharmaceutical Technology from Jadavpur University, Kolkata and a post graduate diploma in management, Dipankar has been working as an entrepreneurial leader in several roles across career guidance and higher education sector for over two decades with noteworthy achievements. After a brief stint in Management Consulting and HR Consulting, he set up a not-for-profit enterprise for offering career counselling services in Kolkata in 1995 and received a Fellowship from the Ashoka Foundation, USA for doing pioneering work in youth development. In his next stint, he played a key leadership role in establishing India’s first corporate enterprise in career counselling in Mumbai. Thereafter he worked in higher education administration and marketing roles and worked with remarkable success in establishing new institutions, launching new academic programs, and in education marketing. In his last stint with an Australia and India based career education organisation, he led a global team which built a multi-dimensional knowledgebase for career education and was part of the leadership team which launched several products and services for career education in India. In his leisure, Dipankar loves to read books on different subjects including fiction.