Would you like to write a computer program that can help a car drive by itself? Or would you like to write a computer program that the future market price of a commodity? Or maybe develop a new operating system that is better than Android or iOS? You may also feel that software is a kid’s stuff and you should rather develop the hardware brain an AI-driven robot! Or develop the next generation of computer microprocessors? Whatever is your take, hardware or software, you can have a great future if you have what it takes to be a high-end computer engineer.
Computer Engineer is a person who either works around the hardware of a computer and networking like developing new parts of computer or computer devices or creating new devices with commutating capabilities like WIFI AC or works around computer software where she creates new software, finds bugs in existing software, adjust software as per the hardware, update software etc. You can be a programmer who uses computer language to write code for developing software.
Why Become a Computer Engineering?
Computer Engineers are the engineers who integrate the field of Computer Science with Electrical and Electronics Engineering to create hardware and software for the computer. They do not work only on how computer system works but they also work on the integration of computers with other devices and systems. A Computer Engineer at a cricket ground will work on how to connect all the cameras to give us a live match feed.
As a Computer Engineer, you will work on various aspects of Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics Engineering like networking (connecting different computers), circuit designs, microcontrollers, personal computers, software, software design, mobile computing, etc. As a software computer engineer, your major focus would be on the software side of computing, and as a hardware computer engineer, your focus will be on the hardware.
Popular Specialization in Computer Engineering Profession
Artificial Intelligence Specialists work on creating machines that showcase intelligence in contrast to natural intelligence as shown by human and animals. They work on creating a device that makes decisions based on its environment.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
What Does a Computer Engineering do?
As a Computer Engineer, depending on your field of specialization, you would have the following roles and responsibilities:
- You would analyze users’ needs and then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs.
- You will be responsible for software upgrades for customers’ existing programs and systems. You might see that after some time, you receive a notification for an Android/iOS update on your mobile.
- You work to design different applications and then integrate them so that they work together.
- You help programmers by creating a variety of models and flowcharts to assist them in building applications.
- You ensure that software and maintained regularly and tested regularly so that the program continues normally. As many times you can see that your favorite game is updated with new features so that it does not hang.
- You will be required to document every aspect of an application or system so that it can be used in future reference.
Hardware & Network Engineer:
- You would be in charge of designing new computer hardware and creating schematics of computer equipment to be built.
- You would be required to test the new hardware that has been built.
- You would analyze the test results of new hardware and make necessary changes if needed.
- You would be required to update the existing computer hardware as per the new software.
- You would see the manufacturing of new hardware.
- You would check the organization systems need an update, and install the required hardware and software.
- You will keep the system and network updated.
- You would be responsible for computer system security and maintaining the network.
How to Become a Computer Engineering – Eligibility Criteria
Undergraduate studies after school:
- To become a computer engineer, there are four ways after schooling. Firstly, you can complete your schooling in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and join an undergraduate course of B.E. or B.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering \ Electrical Engineering \ Electronic Engineering \ Electrical & Electronics Engineering \ Information Technology \ Similar field.
- In the other way, you can complete your 10th and join a Diploma in Computer Engineering of 3 years. After this course, you can get direct entry into the 2nd year of B.E. or B.Tech. of Computer Science & Engineering (This entry is known as a lateral entry).
- In a third way, you can complete your schooling with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and join for an undergraduate course of B.Sc. in Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science.
- In a fourth way, you can complete your schooling with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and join for an undergraduate course of B.C.A. in Computer Application / IT.
Post Graduate studies:
- After finishing B.E. or B.Tech., you can take an M.E. or M.Tech. Course in India or Foreign University. are There
specializations in M.E. and M.Tech. Courses like the Internet of Things, Programming & Software Engineering, Web Technology, Quantum Computing, Information Technology, Information Science & Engineering, Data Science & Engineering, Cryptography, Computer Network & Information Security, Computation Science & Engineering, Cloud Computing, Virtual Reality Engineering, etc.
- After Finishing B.Sc. in Physics / Mathematics / Computer Science, you can join M.Sc. in Computer Science.
- You can go for further studies by choosing to complete a Ph.D. in Computer Science & Engineering after M.E. or M.Tech.
At the entry-level, if you have a Bachelors’ degree, you will be recruited as Programmer Analyst Trainee / Software Engineer Trainee / Computer Engineer Trainee / System Engineer Trainee / Graduate Engineer Trainee by different types of companies. If you have Post Graduate Degree, you will be recruited at higher positions such as Software Engineer Analyst, Application Developer, Software Engineer, Test Engineer, Product Engineer, System Analyst, etc.
Different types of companies can offer you a job. Such as:
· IT Consulting Companies such as IBM, TCS, Cognizant, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, etc.
· IT Software development and technology companies such as Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Tencent, Oracle, SAP, etc.
· Computer Hardware Manufacturing companies such as Intel, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, HP, Lenovo, Dell, Samsung, Acer, etc.
· Mobile phone manufacturing and mobile software development companies like Samsung, Huawei, ZTE, Oppo, etc.
· Various Technology companies that offer app-based or internet-based services such as Uber, Flipkart, Amazon, etc.
· Different other types of companies such as banks, financial institutions, industrial manufacturing companies, power companies, aircraft manufacturing companies, etc.
· Government organizations such as the Airport Authority of India, Indian Railways, etc.; Government Ministries, Departments and Directorates.
· Physical Science and Space research institutions and companies such as ISRO, Antrix Corporation, Physical Research Laboratory, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, etc.
Salary of a Computer Engineering
At the entry-level jobs, post your bachelors’ degree, you can expect to get about Rs. 20,000 – 2,00,000 per month or even more. If you a have Post Graduate degree, your starting salary could be from Rs. 25,000 – 2,50,000 or even more per month. Higher entry-level salaries are offered to graduates from premier institutions like IITs.
At the junior level with a work experience of 2-5 years, you would be earning anything between Rs. 25,000 to 3,00,000 per month.
At the middle level with an experience of 6-10 years, you would be earning anything between Rs. 30,000 to 5,00,00 per month.
At the senior level of over ten years of work experience, you would be earning anything between Rs. 60,000 – 15,00,000 or even more per month.
Salaries vary widely across industry sectors, size of companies, technical expertise, the reputation of the graduating institutions, individual brilliance, etc.
Career Progression in Computer Engineering Profession
If you join as a Trainee Engineer or Trainee Programmer Analyst, you might become a programmer analyst/software engineer/application developer in a few years. Later you will become an analyst, associate analyst, senior software engineer, lead software engineer, lead analyst, associate consultant, consultant, system architect and finally software delivery head. At senior leadership levels, you can become a Chief Technology Officer.
If you join any manufacturing organization, you might start as a trainee computer hardware engineer and later become a hardware engineer, senior engineer, lead engineer, principal engineer, project engineer, head of engineering, etc.
If you join any IT department of an organization, you may start as an assistant manager (IT) and later become manager, senior manager (IT), assistant vice president, vice president, and finally Head of IT or at senior leadership levels, you can become a Chief Technology Officer.
What does Industry Trends Say – Future Prospects
India is the largest exporter of Information Technology in the world. India generates 79% of its IT revenue from exports. So not only in India, the Indian IT industry is growing due to demand in the world. In 1998 IT constituted only 4% of Indian exports, but in 2012, its share was 22%. With such high growth per annum, IT is likely to remain one of the most job-oriented sectors in India.
- Career as a Robotics Engineering
- Career as a Artificial Intelligence
- Career as a Blockchain Developer
- Career as a Electronics Communication Engineer
- How to Become a Software Engineer After 12th
- Career as a Mechanical Engineering
- Career as a Sound Engineer
- MS in Computer Science in the USA
- Software Engineering: Powerful A-Z Guide
- Computer Science vs Information Technology
- Best Branches in Engineering
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
Watch Out for These Coolest High Paying Arts Stream JobsApril 23, 20236 Comments|
Importance of Co-Curricular Activities for StudentsAugust 27, 202250 Comments|
13 Best Jobs for Women in the 21st CenturyMarch 30, 20209 Comments|
Holistic development for Students: Meaning & ImportanceMarch 27, 202054 Comments|
Top Medical Courses Without NEETApril 10, 202369 Comments|