Are you considering a career in law? Looking for the best law colleges in India to shape your future as a legal professional? Well, you’re in luck! In this blog post, we’ll take you on a fascinating journey through the top law colleges in India, where you can acquire the knowledge and skills needed to excel in this dynamic field.
India boasts a rich and diverse legal landscape, with numerous institutions renowned for their exceptional education and training programs. Whether you aspire to become a corporate lawyer, a criminal defense attorney, or an advocate fighting for social justice, the right law college can be your stepping stone to success.
We understand that choosing the right law college can be a daunting task. That’s why we’ve meticulously researched and compiled a list of the best law colleges in India, considering various factors such as academic excellence, faculty expertise, infrastructure, and placement opportunities. With our comprehensive guide, you’ll gain valuable insights into each institution, empowering you to make an informed decision that aligns with your career aspirations.
Get ready to embark on a transformative educational journey that will shape your future and open doors to exciting opportunities in the world of law. Let’s dive in!
Some important points: 9 Give-aways
Here are some of the important points you may consider while selecting the best law colleges in India:
- Top law colleges in the country give you the option to do ‘running internships’ and be a part of tons of activities to build a network of contacts.
- Most of the newer NLUs have fared pretty badly. We’d suggest against joining the lower-ranked NLUs which are located in distant areas and instead try to join a good law college in Delhi or Mumbai.
- Also, remember, if you are among the 90 percentile (top 10% of students) in the 15th-ranking college, you are doing better than the 20 percentile (bottom 20% of students) in the top 3 colleges.
- What you do within 5 years of graduation will matter much more than what you did 2 years before that. So, don’t fret over rankings too much.
- However, a pedigree does matter in the long run so although you should not fret over rankings much, you must try to crack an entry into ivy-leagues.
- The ‘name’ of your law school will matter. Top law firms hire only from the top 3-5 colleges.
- The alumni network in these colleges stays with you for life.
- The peer group you get in top law colleges is priceless. This is a profession where a robust personal network is a must-have.
- Well, it is also safe to say that, even though a pedigree will matter, in the long run (2-6 years), if you are smart & laborious, you’ll overcome any handicaps coming from a low-ranked college.
All set to build your career in Law? Come along…
List of Best Law Colleges in India
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) is a methodology adopted by the Government of India to rank educational institutions in the country. NIRF assesses colleges and universities based on various parameters, including teaching, learning, and resources; research and professional practice; graduation outcomes; outreach and inclusivity; and perception.
The ranking process involves data collection from participating institutions, which is then evaluated using a predefined set of criteria. NIRF considers objective metrics as well as subjective factors, such as reputation and perception among peers and employers. The rankings aim to provide students and parents with reliable information to make informed decisions about higher education institutions in India. NIRF rankings are highly regarded and serve as a benchmark for assessing the quality and performance of Indian colleges.
In this section, we will be discussing list of the top 10 law colleges in India along with the NIRF ranking of the colleges:
|Name of the Law College in India||NIRF Ranking 2023|
|National Law School of India University, Bengaluru||1|
|National Law University, New Delhi||2|
|Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad||3|
|The West Bengal National University of Juridicial Sciences, Kolkata||4|
|Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi||5|
|Symbiosis Law School, Pune||6|
|Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar||7|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur||9|
|Siksha `O` Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar||9|
|National Law University, Jodhpur||NA|
Note: We are not endorsing any of these. Please conduct your own research before using this information
|Best Law Colleges in Chennai||Career as a Corporate Lawyer|
|Top Law Colleges in Bangalore||Career in Cyber Law|
|Best Private Law Colleges in India||Career in Law|
|Best Law Colleges in Delhi||Career as a Criminal Lawyer|
|Top Law Colleges in Mumbai||Career in Civil Law|
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Highlights of law colleges in India
Here in this section, we will discuss the above-mentioned best law colleges in India in detail:
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
The National Law School of India University (NLSIU) is one of the premier law colleges in India, established in 1987. It has consistently maintained its top position in law school rankings in India. NLSIU has a strong reputation for its rigorous academic curriculum and faculty expertise. The college offers a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in law.
- NLSIU is known for its excellent placement opportunities. Top law firms, corporate houses, and organizations visit the campus for recruitment, offering lucrative job offers to students. The college has a dedicated placement cell that assists students in securing internships and placements.
- NLSIU has numerous collaborations with national and international law firms, universities, and research institutions. These collaborations provide students with exposure to the latest trends and developments in the legal field.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at NLSIU can range from INR 1.5 lakhs to 2.5 lakhs per year.
National Law University, New Delhi
National Law University, Delhi (NLUD), was established in 2008 and has quickly gained recognition as one of the leading law colleges in India. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in law. NLUD has a strong reputation for its academic rigor and research-oriented approach. The faculty consists of renowned legal scholars and experts who impart quality education to the students.
- Placement opportunities at NLUD are excellent, with top law firms, corporate houses, and public sector organizations participating in the recruitment process. The university has a dedicated placement and internship support cell to assist students in securing internships and placements.
- NLUD has collaborations with various national and international institutions, providing students with opportunities for exchange programs, joint research, and conferences.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at NLUD can range from INR 1.5 lakhs to 2.5 lakhs per year.
Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad
Established in 1998, Nalsar University of Law is a prestigious law school located in Hyderabad. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in law. Nalsar has a strong reputation for academic excellence and innovative teaching methods. The faculty comprises highly qualified professors and experts in various fields of law.
- Placement opportunities at Nalsar are excellent, with leading law firms, corporate houses, and public sector organizations visiting the campus for recruitment. The university has a dedicated placement cell that assists students in securing internships and placements.
- Nalsar has collaborations with international universities and institutions, providing students with opportunities for research projects, seminars, and conferences.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at Nalsar University can range from INR 2.5 lakhs to 4 lakhs per year.
The West Bengal National University of Juridicial Sciences, Kolkata
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS), Kolkata, was established in 1999. It is a prestigious law university known for its academic excellence and rigorous legal education. WBNUJS has a strong reputation in the legal field and is highly regarded among law colleges in India. The faculty consists of experienced professors and legal practitioners who provide quality education and guidance to the students.
- Placement opportunities at WBNUJS are impressive, with leading law firms, corporate houses, and government organizations participating in the recruitment process. The university has a dedicated placement cell that actively assists students in securing internships and placements.
- WBNUJS has collaborations with national and international institutions, promoting research, exchange programs, and academic collaborations. These collaborations enhance students’ exposure to diverse legal perspectives and global legal practices.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at WBNUJS can range from INR 1.5 lakhs to 2.5 lakhs per year.
Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), located in New Delhi, offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate law programs. It is known for its diverse and inclusive environment, attracting students from various backgrounds.
JMI has a good reputation for its law programs, and the faculty comprises experienced professors and legal practitioners. The college focuses on imparting practical legal skills alongside theoretical knowledge.
- Placement opportunities at JMI are notable, with leading law firms, corporate houses, and government organizations visiting the campus for recruitment. The university provides assistance to students through its placement cell.
- JMI has collaborations with various national and international institutions, fostering research collaborations, student exchange programs, and joint academic initiatives.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at JMI can range from INR 1 lakh to 2 lakhs per year.
Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Pune, is a constituent of Symbiosis International (Deemed University). Established in 1977, SLS Pune has gained recognition for its quality legal education and holistic development of students.
- SLS Pune has a good reputation for placements, with a dedicated placement cell facilitating internship job opportunities for students. The college has tie-ups with leading law firms, corporate houses, and NGOs, ensuring a wide range of placement opportunities.
- The college has collaborations with various international universities and institutions, allowing students to participate in exchange programs and gain exposure to global legal practices.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at SLS Pune can range from INR 2 lakhs to 4 lakhs per year.
Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar
Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) is a renowned law university located in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. It was established in 2003 and has gained recognition for its academic excellence and research-oriented approach.
- GNLU has a strong reputation for placements, with a dedicated placement and internship support cell assisting students in securing internships and job opportunities. The university has collaborations with leading law firms, corporate houses, and legal research organizations, enhancing students’ placement prospects.
- GNLU actively engages in industry collaborations and partnerships with international institutions, facilitating research projects, exchange programs, and conferences.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at GNLU can range from INR 2 lakhs to 4 lakhs per year.
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
The Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT Kharagpur), is primarily known for its engineering programs. However, it also offers a five-year integrated LLB program, making it unique among the IITs.
IIT Kharagpur has gained recognition for its interdisciplinary approach to legal education. The faculty comprises experienced legal professionals and experts who provide a blend of technical and legal knowledge to the students.
- Placement opportunities for law graduates from IIT Kharagpur are excellent. The college has strong connections with leading law firms, corporate houses, and research organizations, resulting in good job prospects for students.
- IIT Kharagpur has collaborations with renowned international universities, allowing students to participate in exchange programs and gain exposure to global legal practices.
- The average tuition fees for the five-year integrated LLB program at IIT Kharagpur can range from INR 2 lakhs to 3 lakhs per year.
Siksha `O` Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Siksha `O` Anusandhan (SOA), located in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, is a multidisciplinary university offering a variety of courses, including law. The School of Law at SOA provides quality legal education to students.
SOA School of Law has been gaining recognition for its academic programs and faculty expertise. The college focuses on imparting practical skills and knowledge through its well-designed curriculum.
- Placement opportunities at SOA School of Law are gradually improving, with an increasing number of law firms, corporate houses, and organizations participating in the recruitment process. The university provides support and guidance to students for internships and placements.
- SOA has collaborations with industry partners and legal institutions to enhance the practical exposure of students. These collaborations include guest lectures, workshops, and seminars conducted by professionals from the legal field.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at SOA School of Law can range from INR 1.5 lakhs to 3 lakhs per year.
National Law University, Jodhpur
National Law University, Jodhpur (NLU Jodhpur), established in 1999, is a premier law university known for its academic excellence and holistic development of students. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in law.
NLU Jodhpur has a strong reputation for its rigorous curriculum and experienced faculty members who impart quality legal education. The university focuses on the overall development of students, nurturing their research and advocacy skills.
- Placement opportunities at NLU Jodhpur are excellent, with top law firms, corporate houses, and public sector organizations visiting the campus for recruitment. The university has a dedicated placement committee that assists students in securing internships and placements.
- NLU Jodhpur has collaborations with reputed national and international institutions, facilitating exchange programs, research collaborations, and academic initiatives.
- The average tuition fees for law courses at NLU Jodhpur can range from INR 2 lakhs to 4 lakhs per year.
Please note that the average tuition fees mentioned for each college are approximate figures and may vary based on the specific program and category of the student. It is advisable to refer to the official websites of the respective colleges for the most accurate and up-to-date information on tuition fees.
Also, read – How to Become a Lawyer
Admission process and eligibility criteria
The admission process and eligibility criteria for law colleges in India may vary slightly from one institution to another. However, we can provide you with a general overview of the admission process and common eligibility criteria followed by most law colleges in India.
- Educational Qualifications: Candidates must have completed their 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board. The minimum required percentage may vary, but it is generally around 45-50% for the General category and lower for reserved categories (SC/ST/OBC).
- Age Limit: There is no specific age limit for undergraduate law programs like the five-year integrated LLB program. However, for the three-year LLB program, some colleges may have an upper age limit, typically around 30 years.
- Entrance Exams: Law colleges in India typically admit students through national-level or state-level entrance exams, such as the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) and the All-India Law Entrance Test (AILET). These exams evaluate candidates’ aptitude, logical reasoning, legal knowledge, and general awareness. Some colleges may also consider scores from other entrance exams like LSAT-India or conduct their own exams.
- Application Form: Candidates need to fill out the application form for the respective entrance exam or college they are applying to. The forms are usually available online on the official websites of the exam-conducting bodies or colleges.
- Admit Card: Once the application form is submitted, candidates receive their admit cards, which provide essential information like the exam date, time, and venue.
- Mode of Entrance Exam: Candidates appear for the entrance exam on the scheduled date. The exams are usually conducted in an offline or online mode, depending on the specific exam.
- Results and Counseling: Once the results are announced, candidates who meet the cutoff criteria are eligible for counseling. Counseling involves the allocation of seats based on merit and preferences. Candidates may be required to attend counseling sessions and submit relevant documents.
- Document Verification and Admission: Shortlisted candidates must provide necessary documents for verification, such as mark sheets, certificates, identity proof, etc. Upon successful document verification, candidates are offered admission to the law colleges based on their merit and availability of seats.
Note: The admission process and eligibility criteria may vary for postgraduate law programs (LLM) and diploma courses. It is advisable to check the specific requirements and procedures of the law colleges or universities you are interested in for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Imagining yourself as an advocate? Do you have anyone in your family? As a law aspirant, it is very important that you start building your own contacts. However, if you’re still in the no man’s land and your thoughts are in dispute, walk away towards a secured career with our experts.
Your search for the finest colleges to pursue your passion for law ends here! iDreamCareer presents an extensive compilation of India’s top-notch institutions, complete with in-depth insights on admission procedures, course offerings, fees, and beyond. Whether you possess a deep admiration for design or aspire to be a fine art professional, our webpage provides all the necessary resources to empower your decision-making process. Waste no time! Embark on your journey towards a fulfilling career by accessing iDreamCareer’s College Selection Program today. Take that pivotal first stride toward transforming your interior design dreams into reality!
Pages, you might need;
- Peek into the Life of a Lawyer
- LAW Courses After 12th
- Difference Between Lawyer and Advocate
- How to Become a Lawyer
- LLB in India: A Comprehensive Guide
- Careers in Intellectual Property Law
- CLAT Exam: Know Exam Date, Eligibility, Fee and more
Best Law Colleges in India: FAQs
The ranking of law colleges in India is determined by factors such as academic reputation, faculty quality, infrastructure, placement opportunities, research output, and student feedback.
The rankings of law colleges in India may vary from year to year due to changes in evaluation methodologies, academic performances, and overall improvements or advancements made by different colleges.
Yes, top law colleges in India often have excellent placement records, with reputed law firms, corporate houses, and government organizations regularly recruiting graduates from these institutions.
While attending a top law college can provide a strong foundation, success in a legal career depends on individual skills, knowledge, and experience. Graduates from various law colleges have achieved remarkable success in the legal field.
Yes, top law colleges in India offer specialized law programs such as Constitutional Law, Corporate Law, Criminal Law, Intellectual Property Law, International Law, and more, catering to diverse legal interests.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.