Dreaming of transforming your creative passion into a thriving career in design? The National Institute of Design (NID) opens its doors to aspirants like you through its rigorous Design Aptitude Test (DAT). This national-level entrance exam is your key to unlocking coveted seats in the Bachelor of Design (BDes), Master of Design (MDes) courses, and Ph.D., offered at various prestigious NID campuses across India.
In this illuminating guide, we unravel the journey of conquering the NID Entrance Exam, providing you with insights that will propel you toward success. NID DAT operates in two stages: the DAT Prelims and the DAT Mains. Our comprehensive breakdown walks you through each stage, offering a clear understanding of what to expect and how to excel.
The magic happens when DAT Prelims and DAT Mains blend to shape your admission merit list. We decipher the weightage given to each stage, ensuring you comprehend the vital role they play in your triumphant entry into the world of design.
Just imagine as part of a vibrant community of creators, innovators, and visionaries. With 425 seats for B.Des and 347 seats for M.Des, NID welcomes you to its campuses in Ahmedabad, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Assam, Gandhinagar, and Bengaluru. Isn’t that overwhelming? But don’t get overwhelmed because that’s not enough of the information.
So, are you ready to embark on this artistic journey? Come along…
What is the NID entrance exam?
The full form of the NID entrance exam is the National Institute of Design entrance examination. It is a highly competitive entrance test conducted by the NID in India. NID is a premier institution for design education and research, recognized internationally for its excellence in various design disciplines such as industrial design, communication design, textile design, and more.
The purpose of the NID entrance exam is to assess the creativity, innovation, and design aptitude of aspiring students who wish to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate programs in design at NID. The exam evaluates candidates’ skills in problem-solving, observation, visualization, and communication. It aims to identify individuals with a strong potential to excel in the field of design and contribute to the industry through their unique and creative perspectives.
Look at the courses offered at various campuses of the National Institute of Design at undergraduate and postgraduate levels:
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.)
- Graduate Diploma Program in Design (GDPD)
- Masters of Design (M.Des.)
- Ph.D. in Design
NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Madhya Pradesh & NID Assam are autonomous institutes under the DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, and offer varied courses.
Now look at NID Courses and the campuses that offer these courses:
- The 4-year Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) program is offered only at NID Ahmedabad.
- The 4-year-long Graduate Diploma Program in Design (GDPD) is offered at NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Madhya Pradesh, and NID Assam.
- The 2.5-year Master of Design (M.Des.) program is offered at NID Ahmedabad, NID Bangalore, and NID Gandhinagar campuses.
Now let’s talk about the…
NID entrance exam: Eligibility Criteria
The National Institute of Design (NID) is a prestigious institution that offers design education and conducts entrance exams to select candidates for its B.Des and M.Des programs. To ensure a fair and competitive selection process, NID has established specific eligibility criteria that candidates must meet to apply for the entrance test.
Here’s an educational qualification requirement you need to have to give NID entrance exam-
- B.Des Programme: To apply for the Bachelor of Design (B.Des) program, candidates must have successfully passed their 12th standard from recognized boards such as CBSE, IB, ICSE, or equivalent. This criterion opens the doors for students from diverse streams, including Science, Humanities, and Commerce. Even those currently appearing for their Class 12 exams in 2024 are eligible to apply.
- M.Des Programme: The Master of Design (M.Des) program requires candidates to complete a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university. It’s important to note that candidates aiming for this program should not exceed 30 years of age as of June 30, 2024.
- Ph.D. Program: For NID’s Ph.D. program, Indian nationals need a Master’s degree from NID, B.Des. from NID with experience, M.Phil. in Design, or NID’s GDPD with work/teaching experience. Age criteria apply. Refer to the latest Ph.D. admission brochure for specific details.
Candidates applying for the NID entrance exam must adhere to specific age limits:
- For B.Des: Candidates should be up to 20 years of age on or before June 30, 2004.
- For M.Des: The maximum age limit is set at 30 years as of June 30, 2024.
- Reserved Category: Candidates falling under the reserved category are granted an age relaxation of three years. This inclusion aims to promote diversity and provide equal opportunities to all segments of society.
- Persons with Disabilities (PwD): PwD category candidates born on or after July 1, 1999, are eligible to apply, ensuring that those with unique challenges are not restricted by age barriers.
Also, read about NIFT Entrance Exam
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
NID entrance exam: Registration Process
The National Institute of Design (NID) is renowned for its design programs and conducts an entrance exam to select candidates for its B.Des and M.Des programs. To successfully apply for the NID entrance exam, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Register for the NID DAT entrance exam
Mark your calendar for the last week of October 2023, as this is when the application window swings open. To initiate your journey, visit the official admissions portal at admissions.nid.edu. Click on the link and register by using a valid phone number, date of birth, and email address.
Step 2: Fill Out the NID DAT Application Form 2024
Once registered, candidates can access the NID DAT application form for 2024. This stage involves inputting accurate information regarding academic qualifications, personal details, and preferences. Applicants are advised to double-check their entries to ensure correctness.
Step 3: Upload Requisite Scanned Documents
To complete the application, candidates are required to upload scanned copies of necessary documents. These typically include recent passport-sized photographs, academic certificates, and any other documents requested by the institute. It is crucial to ensure that all scanned documents are clear and legible for efficient processing.
Step 4: Pay the Application Fee
The application process requires the payment of a fee, which can be done through various online payment methods. For candidates belonging to the general and OBC-NCL categories, the application fee is Rs 3000. Meanwhile, candidates from SC, ST, SC-PwD, ST-PwD, Open-PwD, and OBC-NCL-PwD categories are required to pay Rs 1500. It is essential to complete the payment within the specified deadline to avoid any inconveniences.
Step 5: Print the NID DAT Application Form 2024
Upon successful submission of the application form and payment, candidates are advised to keep a copy of their application form for their records. Printing the application form serves as proof of submission and payment, providing applicants with a sense of security throughout the admission process.
By following these steps carefully and meeting all the deadlines, you can complete the application process for the NID entrance exam. Prepare well and showcase your creativity and design aptitude to increase your chances of securing a seat in this prestigious institution.
NID entrance exam: Important dates
Currently, the entrance exam dates for 2024 have not been announced yet but for your understanding here’s an overview of important dates of the NID entrance exam 2023.
For B.Des. & M.Des.
|Application form filling starts||October 22, 2022|
|Last date to register for the exam with LATE fees||22 Dec ’22 – 25 Dec ’22|
|Application Form Correction Window||December 25, 2022- December 27, 2022,|
|Admit card release for NID DAT Prelims||December 30, 2022,|
|NID Entrance exam Prelims Date||January 08, 2023|
|Result Date – NID Entrance Exam||For B.Des- March 30, 2023, |
For M.Des- February 28, 2023
|Prelims Re-checking Request||For B.Des- March 30, 2023, to 1st April 2023|
For M.Des- February 28, 2023- March 02, 2023
|Admit Card release for NID DAT Mains||For B.Des- April 14, 2023, |
For M.Des- March 9, 2023
|NID Entrance exam Mains Date||For B.Des- April 29, 2023, to April 30, 2023|
For M.Des- March 20, 2023, to March 23, 2023
|Mains Result Declaration – NID Entrance Exam||For B.Des- May 18, 2023|
For M.Des- May 16, 2023
|The window for submission of campus preference||May 18, 2023- May 19, 2023|
|Mains Re-checking Request||For B.Des- May 18, 2023- May 19, 2023|
For M.Des- May 16, 2023- May 17, 2023
|Payment of Token Fees & Uploading of Documents||For B.Des- May 25, 2023- May 26, 2023|
For M.Des- May 16, 2023- May 19, 2023
|Provisional Offer Letter for admission||1st week of June 2023|
|Event||Date and Time (IST)|
|Application Start Date||Friday, May 12, 2023|
|Application Deadline||Monday, June 12, 2023|
|Window to Edit Application Form||Tuesday, June 13, 2023, to Thursday, June 15, 2023|
|Downloading DRT||Thursday, August 10, 2023|
|Conducting DRT||Thursday, August 17, 2023|
|Interview Period||Monday to Friday – August 21 – August 25, 2023|
|Announcement of Final Result||Tuesday, September 05, 2023|
Please note that the exact schedule and time of the Interview and presentation for shortlisted candidates will be mentioned in the Admit Card. Admit Cards for the DRT will be available for download on the NID website. Candidates are responsible for downloading and printing their own Admit Cards.
Students are also advised to keep track of important dates on the official website. You can also bookmark this page for 2024 exam dates.
NID Exam Pattern
The NID entrance exam pattern for B.Des and M.Des programs consists of a three-stage selection process, evaluating candidates’ design aptitude and creativity. The written exam comprises objective (70%) and subjective (30%) questions, held on the same day with no negative marking. Successful candidates move to the Studio Test, evaluating drawing, modeling, and discussion skills. This is followed by a Personal Interview gauging passion for design and suitability. B.Des applicants submit a theme poster, while M.Des candidates provide a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and portfolio.
For Ph.D. admissions, NID employs a comprehensive three-stage process. The first stage assesses eligibility and research proposals, the second involves a Design Research Test (DRT), and the third consists of a personal interview. The evaluation criteria encompass alignment with NID’s research objectives, creativity, design thinking, academic record, and research potential. Weightages vary depending on experience, and the final selection is determined by the Ph.D. Research Committee, ensuring alignment and exceptional design aptitude.
For more information on exam patterns, refer to our NID exam pattern blog post!
NID Entrance exam syllabus
Now that you know the exam eligibility, exam pattern, and structure of the question paper, let’s explore the syllabus. Below is a broad overview of the syllabus for different components of the NID entrance exam for both parts:
NID DAT Prelims
Some of the important topics covered in the Design Aptitude Test DAT Prelims are:
|Design Outline for Beginners||Optical Illusion|
|Color Terminology||Color Psychology & Optical Illusions|
|Inspiration & Design Development||Color, Pattern & Texture|
|Mood, Theme & Colour Inter-relationship||Creative thinking & writing|
|Natural & Geometrical Form||Visual Logic|
|Design Theory||Drawing Fundamentals|
|Elements & Principles Of Design||Use of Measurements, Scale & proportions|
|Innovation in Design||Developing Themes & Colour Associations|
|Exercises on imagination||Lateral Thinking|
|Presentation Techniques||Imagination & Doodling|
|Graphics & Pictograms||Innovation & Creation|
|Principles of Composition||Ornaments & motifs|
|Lettering||Usage of Colour in Compositions|
|Understanding Light & Shade||Inspiration & Creativity|
|Form & Function||Story Pictures|
|Theme Development||3D Visualization|
|Picture Analysis||Design Awareness|
|Good Design vs Bad Design||Memory Drawing|
|Foreshortening & Perspective||Expression & Emotion|
National Institute of Design DAT Mains
Some of the important topics covered in the Design Aptitude Test DAT Mains are:
|How to evolve ideas||Interaction with NID Alumni|
|Mock Interview||Material Manipulation|
|Critical Thinking||Design Thinking|
|Audio – Visual Exercises||Importance of Body Language|
|Guidance on Portfolio Making||Creative Processes|
NID Entrance exam books
Here are some recommended books that can help you prepare for the NID entrance exam:
- Arihant’s Ultimate Guide for NIFT/NID/IIFT Entrance Exam
- Design Drawing – Francis D. K. Ching
- English – The Ultimate Guide for NIFT/NID/IIFT Entrance Exam by Arihant
- GK and Current Affairs – Read newspapers daily for current affairs. For static GK, read any good GK book for NID.
- Logical Reasoning – Step-by-Step Verbal Reasoning by Philip Kay, How to Pass Diagrammatic Reasoning Test by Mike Bryon.
- NIFT/NID (Admission Test) Previous Years’ Papers (Solved) by R Gupta
- NIFT/NID/IIFT Entrance Exam Guide by D Mittal
- NIFT/NID/IIFT Entrance Exam Guide by RPH Editorial Board
- Origami Design Secrets: Mathematical Methods for an Ancient Art – Robert J. Lang for NID Preparation
- Quantitative Aptitude – Physics and Maths syllabus up to Class 10.
Remember – Practice drawing, sketching, and problem-solving. Use the official NID website for past papers and exam format familiarity.
NID Entrance Exam Result
The NID entrance exam results for the year 2023 were eagerly anticipated, with the National Institute of Design officially announcing the NID BDes main exam results on May 19, 2023, at 4 PM. Candidates were able to access their results conveniently online at admissions.nid.edu. The result verification process was straightforward, requiring candidates to input their email ID and date of birth. These results were presented in the form of scorecards, detailing their performance. Preceding this, the NID MDes main exam results were declared on May 18, 2023. Successful MDes candidates were provided the opportunity to secure their seats by remitting the tuition fee by May 31, 2023.
How to check the NID entrance result?
To access your NID DAT result, follow these steps on the official admissions website, admissions.nid.edu:
- Navigate to the website and locate the ‘NID DAT 2023 Result’ link.
- Click on the link to proceed.
- Enter your roll number and application number in the designated fields.
- After providing the required information, click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Your result will be displayed on the screen.
- For your records, you can take a printout of the result.
- The NID Merit List is prepared based on these scores, determining candidates eligible for studio tests and personal interviews.
Students can check the NID previous year cutoff on the official website or by visiting this link – https://admissions.nid.edu/NIDA2023/Default.aspx
What after the NID entrance exam result?
After the NID entrance exam results are declared, typically in February or March, shortlisted candidates move to the next stages of the selection process: Studio Test and Personal Interview. Only appearing on the rank list doesn’t guarantee admission. Once the final Merit List is out in late May, the counseling procedure follows, where provisionally allotted seats are confirmed after online document verification.
To proceed, qualified candidates must submit their consent online from late May to early June. The merit list updates during this period are based on received consents. Successful completion of these steps ensures progression in the NID DAT 2024 admission process for the Bachelor and Master of Design programs.
NID 2024 Exam – Preparation tips
Preparing for the NID 2024 entrance exam requires a strategic approach and dedication. Here are some tips and tricks to help you excel in the exam:
- Familiarize yourself with the NID entrance exam pattern and syllabus.
- Create a study schedule that allocates time to each section and practice regularly.
- Solve previous years’ question papers to understand the exam’s format and difficulty level.
- Enhance your creative skills through sketching, doodling, and brainstorming design ideas.
- Develop a strong portfolio showcasing your best work in various creative mediums.
- Take mock tests to improve speed and accuracy in the Design Aptitude Test.
- Stay updated with current design trends, innovations, and developments.
- Sharpen your problem-solving abilities to excel in the Studio Test and Personal Interview.
- Seek feedback from mentors or professionals to refine your design concepts.
- Believe in your abilities and stay calm during the exam to perform at your best.
Remember, consistent effort and dedication are key to excelling in the NID entrance exam. Good luck!
The NID entrance exam stands as a pivotal juncture propelling aspirants into a world brimming with artistic prospects. Its multifaceted evaluation delves beyond mere technical prowess, championing creativity, innovation, and adept problem-solving. This platform dares candidates to surpass conventional confines, offering a glimpse into a future reimagined through their designs. Beyond its role as a mere admission gatekeeper, NID cultivates a mindset of perpetual learning and artistic evolution. Aspirants embark here not just on a journey of education, but a voyage into self-discovery and boundless growth. Hope you are settled now!
If not, iDreamCareer is here for you! We have an invaluable resource offering a comprehensive catalog of India’s top colleges, a guide for those aspiring to carve a successful path. It delivers meticulous insights into admission procedures, courses available, fees, and other critical particulars. iDreamCareer’s College Selection Program empowers students to make judicious decisions about their impending future. The time to act is now—visit our page and initiate your voyage toward your aspirational career. Your dreams are within reach; seize the opportunity!
Other competitive exams:
- Best Fashion Designing Colleges in India
- Designing Courses After 12th
- Top Fashion Design Careers
- Fashion Designing Courses After 12th
NID Entrance Exam: FAQs
The NID Entrance Exam is the entrance test conducted by the National Institute of Design (NID) for admissions to its various design programs, including undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
You can apply for the NID Entrance Exam through the official NID admissions website. The application process involves online registration, filling in personal and educational details, uploading documents, and paying the application fee.
No, the NID Entrance Exam generally does not have negative markings. This encourages candidates to attempt all questions without fear of losing marks for incorrect answers.
Getting admission to the NID can be challenging due to its competitive nature. The institute is renowned for its design programs, and applicants often need a strong portfolio and skillset to increase their chances of acceptance.
Yes, the official NID website often provides sample papers and study materials that can help you get familiar with the exam pattern and types of questions asked.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.