Are you interested in Fashion? Are you always up for something creative and thinking of artsy ideas? If you are, then think of a career in fashion design. This article will take you through everything you should know about the top fashion design careers.
Fashion Design as a field of career
Fashion design takes one’s creativity and artistic skills and utilises them to create products that are not only aesthetically beautiful but practical and functional as well. Fashion design is a stream of design that focuses on the conception and production of clothing as well as accompanying accessories such as footwear and jewellery.
Fashion design careers range from the designing of products and merchandising to fashion retail management. This blog article will cover some of the potential careers in fashion designing one can get into in India, as well as some universities and fashion design courses that are highly recommended.
List of Fashion Design courses
To be eligible for any of the bachelors or diploma courses one has to have completed 10+2 successfully with the minimum marks mentioned by the institute in concern. After this one can also go on to do a master’s degree for which one is only eligible after having completed a bachelor’s degree.
Take a look at some of the courses you can pursue for Fashion Design Careers:
- Bachelors in Fashion and Design
- B Sc. in Fashion Design
- B Sc. in Fashion and Apparel Designing
- BA in Fashion Design
- B.Sc. in Fashion & Textile Design
- Diploma in Fashion Design
- Diploma in Fashion Management
List of top Colleges offering Fashion design courses
Like with any field, the college you study at plays an integral role in determining the kind of job you get, the exposure you receive, and ultimately in shaping your career in the long run. It is no different in the case of fashion design careers. That’s why it is important to make sure one chooses the best possible college when one is looking to make a career in fashion designing after 12th.
Some Indian colleges that are considered the best for those who want to pursue a career in fashion designing after graduation are listed below:
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is one of India’s most reputable institutes where one can study fashion. NIFT has many branches across the country.
- Pearl Academy(also has multiple branches)
- Symbiosis Institute of design, Pune
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Amity School Of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Army Institute of Fashion and Design
- Maharshi Karve Stree Shikshan Samstha’s School of Fashion Technology
- Manipal School of Architecture and Planning
- IMS Design and Innovation Academy
- ITM Institute of Design and Media
- Nehru Academy of Arts and Science
Although most colleges offer placements in entry-level jobs, for those who want to pursue a career in fashion designing after graduation it is important to know the kinds of jobs that are available and have clarity about the options that are available.
Fashion Designer Qualifications
To pursue a career in fashion designing in India, there are some basic criteria for eligibility. Fashion designer qualifications essentially include having finished one’s +2 in high schools and scored over 50% in the final examinations, and have at least a bachelor’s degree in fashion design, textile design or any other such degree related to the fashion industry. These degrees can be obtained from the aforementioned colleges for instance, but these are only a few, there are many institutes where one can study fashion design across the country.
Fashion Design Careers in India
- Those who want to be involved in the creative part of the process itself can involve themselves in the designing of products. Apparel design, costume design, footwear design, and clothing design all require hands down creative work and are ideal for those who want to involve themselves in hands-on creative work.
- This kind of work can be found in several different areas. Costume design tends to be for the performing arts and films. Then there is the kind of clothing footwear and accessories that are meant for the runway and the world of high fashion- these clothes need not be practical as the emphasis is not on utility but on the appearance and design. Last of all, a major part of the hands-on work fashion design careers involve is designing clothing, accessories and apparel that are intended for mass consumption. This includes products that are retailed in any kind of outlet, ranging from small boutiques to large brand stores.
- With a considerable amount of experience in the field, fashion designers can also join institutes as members of faculty and teach. This is great for those who are interested in fashion design as a subject but don’t actively want to do fashion design. However, this requires years of experience in the field and is not usually an entry-level job.
- Another fashion design career that does not involve designing products themselves but does entail creative work, is work done with materials. For instance working with textile and garment factories or companies, where one gets to design the fabric- its feel breathability appearance etc without working on the garment it is used to make. While textile is only an example, the same kind of design work can be done in every industry related to the manufacturing of garments.
- Those who want to work in the fashion industry but don’t particularly see themselves involved with the design aspect of it can find themselves a career in a managerial position, marketing, and advertising.
Fashion Designer Salary
On average, the salary of a fashion designer in India tends to be about 3-3.5 lakhs per annum with about 2-3 years of experience. Designers working with bigger brands tend to make more, but also have to be exceptionally skilled to get a job like that. Of course, salaries increase with work experience, and the kind of job one gets has a lot to do with which college one studied.
Top Recruiters for Fashion Designers
Some of the leading recruiters for fashion design in India are-
- Allen Solly
- Raymond Group
Some of the top Indian fashion designers are-
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee
- Masaba Gupta
- Ritu Kumar
- Manish Malhotra
- Tarun Tahiliani
- Anju Modi
- Anamika Khanna
- Neeta Lulla
The fashion industry is fairly volatile and keeps evolving as the times change. Hence fashion design careers tend to be exciting for those who want to do creative work that is not monotonous and constantly allows them to explore. The fashion industry also gives designers to work with other talented and artistic individuals and tends to be stimulating in that sense. Those interested in having a career in fashion designing after graduation has a number of options in the industry.
Having trouble finding your true calling? Talk to iDreamCareer’s expert Career cousellors and find out which career field is the right one for you!
Find out more about iDX design thinking course for school students!
Other topics which may interest you:
- 11 Reasons Why Liberal Arts Education is Worth it!
- Career as a Fashion Designer
- Best Fashion Designing Colleges in India
- Also Read: NIFT Entrance Exam 2024: Everything You Need to Know!
- UX Design: Top 12 Important Things You Should Know About User Experience
- Design Thinking Skills: Top 5 Best Reasons Why School Students Must Learn
Adya is a certified career counselling expert. She has been associated with the counselling industry for 4+ years. Adya has excellent skills in reading and referring to a large base of resources to discover information and insights useful for career guidance. She has written extensively about many other subjects too. Her other interests include literature, current affairs, and animal welfare.