You have heard many a time regarding a cricket or a soccer player’s injury. Who is the first taken into consideration after this? Sports physiotherapy is a specialized branch of physiotherapy that deals with the prevention, management, and rehabilitation of injuries sustained during sports activities. This area of physiotherapy is focused on the needs of athletes and people who engage in physical activity at various levels, including professionals, amateurs, and weekend warriors. Sports physiotherapists work with individuals to help them maintain optimal physical performance, prevent injuries, and treat existing injuries.
They use a range of techniques such as exercise, manual therapy, and electrotherapy to help patients recover from injuries, manage pain, and improve their overall physical function. In addition, sports physiotherapists play an important role in educating athletes and coaches on injury prevention, proper training techniques, and how to maintain physical health and well-being. Whether it’s a sprained ankle, a torn ACL, or a muscle strain, sports physiotherapy can help individuals get back to their pre-injury level of function, and even improve their performance beyond that. In this rapidly growing field, sports physiotherapists have become indispensable members of sports teams and organizations, helping athletes achieve their goals while minimizing the risk of injury.
Who is a sports physiotherapist?
A sports physiotherapist is a healthcare professional who specializes in the prevention, management, and rehabilitation of injuries related to sports and physical activity. They work with athletes, sports teams, and individuals who engage in physical activity to help them recover from injuries, manage pain, and improve their physical function.
Perks of being a sports physiotherapist
We all have wondered in our dreams to working with our favorite sportsperson. Not everyone can play at the same level where they play. There are several perks of being a sports physiotherapist, including
- Working with athletes: Sports therapists have the opportunity to work with athletes of all levels, from beginners to professionals. This can be a rewarding experience as they get to see their patients achieve their goals and reach their full potential.
- Flexibility: Many sports therapists have the option to work flexible hours, which can be beneficial for those who want to balance work and personal commitments.
- Continuous learning: As with any healthcare profession, sports therapy requires ongoing learning and development. This can provide a stimulating and challenging work environment.
- Competitive salary: Sports therapists can earn a competitive salary, especially if they work with high-level athletes or in specialized areas such as sports rehabilitation.
- Travel opportunities: Sports therapists may have the opportunity to travel with sports teams or work at major events, which can be a fun and exciting aspect of the job.
How to become a sports physiotherapist in India?
Let’s take you a step closer to your dream career. To become a sports physiotherapist in India, you will need to follow these steps:
Obtain a Bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy
The first step towards becoming a sports physiotherapist in India is to obtain a Bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy from a recognized university. This typically takes four and a half years to complete.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Gain work experience
After completing your Bachelor’s degree, it is recommended to gain work experience in a clinical or hospital setting to gain exposure to different physiotherapy specializations.
Pursue a Master’s degree or diploma in sports physiotherapy
After gaining some work experience, you can pursue a Master’s degree or diploma in sports physiotherapy. There are several institutions in India that offer postgraduate courses in sports physiotherapy, such as the Indian Institute of Health Education and Research in Patna and the Apollo Institute of Medical Sciences and Research in Hyderabad.
Obtain relevant certifications
Many organizations in India offer certifications in sports physiotherapy, such as the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and the Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP). Obtaining relevant certifications can enhance your credentials and increase your job prospects.
Gain practical experience
To gain practical experience, you can volunteer with sports teams or organizations and assist in providing physiotherapy services to athletes. This can help you gain exposure and build connections within the sports industry.
Register with the relevant authorities
After completing your education and gaining practical experience, you will need to register with the relevant authorities, such as the Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP), to practice as a sports physiotherapist in India.
Sports Physiotherapy Courses
Let’s now talk about the certain courses that you need to take at a certain academic level if you want to have a bright career in sports physiotherapy. There are several sports physiotherapy courses available for students who want to pursue a career in this field. These include:
|Sports Physiotherapy Courses|
|Bachelor’s Degree in Physiotherapy|
|Master’s Degree in Sports Physiotherapy|
|Postgraduate Diploma in Sports Physiotherapy|
|Certificate Course in Sports Physiotherapy|
|Diploma Course in Sports Physiotherapy|
|Advanced Diploma in Sports Physiotherapy|
In India, some institutions offering sports physiotherapy courses conduct entrance exams to select students for admission. Here are some of the popular entrance exams:
- National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET): NEET is a national-level entrance exam conducted for admission to undergraduate and postgraduate medical courses, including Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Physiotherapy.
- Postgraduate Entrance Test (PGET) by Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences: Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences conducts PGET for admission to its postgraduate courses in Physiotherapy, including Sports Physiotherapy.
- Entrance Exam by Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports: Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports conducts an entrance exam for admission to its sports physiotherapy courses, including certificate and diploma courses.
- Lovely Professional University National Eligibility and Scholarship Test (LPUNEST): LPUNEST is conducted by Lovely Professional University for admission to its undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Physiotherapy.
Building a career in sports physiotherapy requires some pre-requisite skill sets. Here is the list of essential skills required:
|Communication Skills||Knowledge of Sports Injuries|
|Ability to work under pressure||Strong analytical and problem-solving skills|
|Manual dexterity and physical stamina||Empathy and sensitivity|
|Time management skills||Ability to make accurate records|
|Attention to detail||Interpersonal skills|
|Knowledge of exercise physiology||Organizational skills|
|Leadership skills||Flexibility to work in different locations|
Sports physiotherapy is a rapidly growing field with several job opportunities available for professionals in India and abroad. Here are some of the job opportunities:
- Sports Physiotherapist: Sports physiotherapists work with athletes to prevent and treat sports injuries, provide rehabilitation programs, and improve performance.
- Team Physiotherapist: Team physiotherapists work with sports teams and athletes to provide injury management, rehabilitation, and performance enhancement programs.
- Sports Rehabilitation Specialist: Sports rehabilitation specialists work with athletes to provide specialized rehabilitation programs and techniques to help them recover from sports injuries and regain their strength and mobility.
- Sports Medicine Specialist: Sports medicine specialists work with athletes to diagnose and treat sports-related injuries and conditions, including chronic pain, inflammation, and overuse injuries.
- Researcher: Researchers in sports physiotherapy conduct research on various aspects of sports physiotherapy, including injury prevention, rehabilitation, and performance enhancement.
- Consultant: Sports physiotherapy consultants work with sports organizations and teams to provide expert advice on injury prevention and management, rehabilitation, and performance enhancement.
- Lecturer: Sports physiotherapy lecturers teach students pursuing sports physiotherapy courses at various educational institutions.
- Entrepreneur: Sports physiotherapists can also start their clinics or wellness centers, providing sports injury management, rehabilitation, and performance enhancement programs.
- Fitness and Rehabilitation Consultant: Sports physiotherapists can work as fitness and rehabilitation consultants for gyms, fitness centers, and rehabilitation centers.
- Academician: Sports physiotherapists can work as academicians, teaching and conducting research at universities and educational institutions.
According to AmbitionBox, the starting average salary of a sports physiotherapist is around 4 LPA. However, there are so many growth opportunities possible for a sports physiotherapist. As a result, the expected average salary might go up to 6-8 LPA with experience.
Sports physiotherapy is an important aspect of sports medicine that plays a vital role in preventing and managing sports-related injuries. Sports physiotherapists work closely with athletes to provide specialized rehabilitation programs, injury management, and performance enhancement techniques. The field of sports physiotherapy is constantly evolving, and there is a growing demand for professionals with specialized knowledge and expertise in the field.
Pursuing a career in sports physiotherapy can be highly rewarding, offering a range of job opportunities in various settings, including sports teams, rehabilitation centers, and wellness clinics. With the increasing awareness of sports physiotherapy and its benefits, the field is expected to witness significant growth in the coming years. Therefore, individuals with a passion for sports and an interest in healthcare can consider pursuing a career in sports physiotherapy to make a positive impact on the lives of athletes and sports enthusiasts.
Hope we would have been able to provide you with all the information that you need regarding the sports physiotherapy in India. Still, got questions? Why don’t you connect with our industry experts? Yes, you read it right! You can get your queries resolved in just 60 seconds from our Career counselors. So, what are you waiting for? Download the iDreamCareer app now!
- Physiotherapy Course After 12th
- Top Guide to Make a Career as a Physiotherapist
- The Benefits of a Career as a Physiotherapy Assistant
- Career in Sports Management
- Career as a Sports Coach
Sports Physiotherapy: FAQs
Yes, sports physiotherapy is undoubtedly a good career. It offers so many career growth opportunities. Also, sports physiotherapy can earn you a good lifestyle.
Sports physiotherapy helps athletes by providing customized rehabilitation programs and injury management techniques that help them recover from injuries, improve their mobility and strength, and prevent further injuries.
Anyone who participates in sports activities, from amateur athletes to professional sportspeople, can benefit from sports physiotherapy. It is also useful for individuals who suffer from sports-related injuries and chronic pain due to sports activities.
Sports physiotherapists diagnose sports-related injuries by conducting a thorough assessment of the patient’s medical history, conducting physical exams, and using imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI scans, and ultrasound to identify the extent and nature of the injury.
Common techniques used in sports physiotherapy include massage therapy, joint mobilization, stretching and strengthening exercises, electrotherapy, and manual therapy.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
Watch Out for These Coolest High Paying Arts Stream JobsApril 23, 20236 Comments|
Importance of Co-Curricular Activities for StudentsAugust 27, 202250 Comments|
13 Best Jobs for Women in the 21st CenturyMarch 30, 20209 Comments|
Holistic development for Students: Meaning & ImportanceMarch 27, 202054 Comments|
Top Medical Courses Without NEETApril 10, 202369 Comments|
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.