Do you have an affinity for yoga or physical exercise? Do you love to combine them with healthcare knowledge for comprehensive life-improving results? Do you love assisting people? Then, Physiotherapy Assistant is the trade for you.
A Physiotherapy Assistant carries out the treatment or exercise plan designed by a physiotherapist for patients who seek treatment when they have lost function or mobility of their hands, legs, different limbs, or part of their body due to an injury or illness.
Why become a Physiotherapy Assistant?
As a physiotherapy assistant, you will carry out the treatment or exercise plan designed by the physiotherapist for patients who seek treatment when they have lost function or mobility of their hands, legs, different limbs, or part of their body due to an injury or illness. You will help patients to regain strength by assisting them in performing various manual exercises.
The registered physiotherapist assigns a PTA’s (Physiotherapy Assistant) duties. They work in close collaboration to heal the patient and make sure that they are doing the exercises accordingly.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
What does a Physiotherapy Assistant do?
- Assist in walking, transfers, and safe mobility.
- Provide clinical care for assigned patients.
- Provide the patient and their family education regarding the therapy.
- Inform the team members about the patient’s performance.
- Use different techniques such as massages or stretching.
- Implement the treatment plan as directed by the physiotherapist.
- Going on house-call rounds to provide therapy to the disabled patients
- Help the patient in performing his/her particular physiotherapy program.
- Monitoring and reporting changes in health status to the physical therapist.
- Assist in clinical treatments.
- Maintaining equipment inventories.
How to become a Physiotherapy Assistant – Eligibility Criteria
Diploma after school:
To build a career as a physiotherapy assistant, you must obtain a Diploma in physical therapy assisting. Students can take courses in topics like anatomy and physiology, human growth and development, aging, clinical pathology, neuroscience, and psychology.
An entry-level job doesn’t need any kind of experience.
The cost of becoming a Physiotherapy Assistant in India can vary depending on several factors such as the type of institution, duration of the course, and location. Generally, the cost of a diploma or certificate course in physiotherapy assisting in India can range from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 50,000. However, the cost of a degree course in physiotherapy can range from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 2 lakhs or more, depending on the institution.
After finishing your diploma in physiotherapy, you can get entry-level jobs and profiles in this department.
Following are some fresher jobs:
- Assistant Physiotherapist
- Sports Physiotherapist
- Fitness Assistant
- Self-Employed Private Physiotherapist
- Rehabilitative Physiotherapist
- Some Organizations where you can find jobs:
- Private Hospitals
- Public Hospitals
- Educational Institutions
- Sports Teams
- Rehabilitation Centres for Physical Disabilities
Salary of Physiotherapy Assistant
The salary of a Physiotherapy Assistant varies widely depending on the educational qualification, skill, and experience. The reputation and merit of the educational institute are also big factors in defining initial salaries.
As an apprentice or trainee, you will be earning about Rs. 6,000 – 10,000 a month.
After 1-3 years of experience, you will be earning about Rs. 8,000-12,000 a month.
After 5-10 years of experience, you will be earning about Rs. 10,000-18,000 or more a month.
After 12-15 years of experience, you will be earning about Rs. 15,000-30,000 or more a month.
Career Progression in Physiotherapy Assistant Profession
Growth opportunities are slow in the initial years and then high as you gain more skill & experience. You will start as a trainee physiotherapist working under a senior physiotherapist. After 2-4 years of training, you can become an assistant physiotherapist.
Higher-level roles include positions such as assistant department head, department head, chief physiotherapist, or medical officer roles.
What do industry trends say – Future Prospects
The healthcare market in India can increase threefold to Rs 8.6 trillion (US$ 133.44 billion) by 2022.
According to a recently published Pharma report, “India Physiotherapy Equipment Market Opportunities, 2010 – 2020”, the physiotherapy equipment market in India is projected to grow at a CAGR of over 12% during 2015 – 2020.
This growth may be attributed to people’s unwillingness to continue being dependent on conventional drugs, the increasing prevalence of cardiovascular and neurological diseases, expanding the elderly population, and escalating demand for at-home physiotherapy.
This data predicts good growth for healthcare worker profiles such as physiotherapists, as awareness about the therapeutic benefits of physiotherapy such as improving mobility and strengthening affected body areas has significantly increased, and resultantly so has the demand for physiotherapists.
- Career in Health Sciences
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Career in Physiotherapy
- Career in Healthcare Management
- Career Options in Medicine
- Career as an Anesthesia Technician
- Career as an Cardiac Care Technician
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|