IIT JAM exam 2024, scheduled for February 11, 2024. The exam is organized by IIT Madras and offers an opportunity for aspiring candidates to pursue master’s degrees at prestigious institutions like IITs and NITs. Applications will be open from September 5, 2023, to October 13, 2023, through the official IIT JAM 2024 website, i.e., https://jam.iitm.ac.in/
Aspiring candidates, irrespective of nationality, are welcome to apply, and there’s no age barrier to contend with. The exam pattern, laid out by IIT Madras, combines modernity with rigor. Set to be a Computer Based Test (CBT), the exam will be conducted in two slots on February 11, 2024. It features multiple choice questions (MCQs), multiple select questions (MSQs), and numerical answer type (NAT) questions, ensuring a comprehensive evaluation of candidates’ knowledge.
With a wide reach across approximately 100 cities in India, IIT JAM 2024 offers candidates the convenience of choosing their preferred exam center location. By prioritizing their proximity, candidates increase their chances of securing their preferred slot at the ION Digital Zone in their chosen area. As IIT JAM 2024 beckons, the doors to over 3000 seats in IITs for the academic year 2024-2025 stand open, awaiting the influx of talented individuals eager to embark on their postgraduate journey.
Want to know more about the IIT JAM exam 2024? Come along…
What is the IIT JAM Entrance Exam?
The IIT Joint Admission Test, commonly known as IIT JAM, is an annual national-level online entrance examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. It serves as a gateway for aspiring candidates to secure admissions into a wide array of M.Sc and PG programs offered by IITs and other participating institutions across India. What is the purpose of the exam? The exam is conducted to select candidates for programs in fields like Mathematical Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Economics, and Geology.
IIT JAM 2024 will feature seven different papers, each corresponding to the aforementioned fields of study. Prospective students have the flexibility to apply for one or two papers, depending on their eligibility criteria. The entrance exam takes place at designated IIT JAM exam centers and attracts a substantial number of students every year.
Upon completion of the exam, the admission process is overseen by IIT Madras, which evaluates candidates’ performance and allocates seats in various programs accordingly. Participating institutions also conduct separate counseling processes, determining admission based on their specific cut-off marks for IIT JAM 2024. This rigorous examination process plays a pivotal role in shaping the academic journey of students aspiring to excel in their chosen fields of study within the prestigious IIT ecosystem.
IIT JAM entrance exam eligibility
The IIT JAM (Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.) is a prestigious entrance exam conducted for admission to various postgraduate science programs offered by the Indian Institutes of Technology. To partake in this examination, candidates need to satisfy specific eligibility criteria set by the organizing authority.
- Indian Citizens: Individuals who hold citizenship in any Indian state are eligible to apply for the IIT JAM exam.
- Foreign Nationals: Foreign nationals can also apply for the exam, broadening the reach of this esteemed academic opportunity.
Unlike some other entrance exams, IIT JAM does not impose an age restriction on applicants. This ensures that candidates of all ages can aspire to further their scientific education through this platform.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
- Bachelor’s in Science: Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in science in one of the specified subjects – Geology, Biotechnology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, Physics, or Chemistry. This ensures a foundational understanding of the chosen field.
- Final Year Candidates: Students in their final year of graduation can also apply, enabling them to secure admission pending the successful completion of their current program.
Minimum Marks Requirement
Unlike many other competitive exams, IIT JAM does not demand a minimum mark threshold. This inclusivity allows a wider range of candidates to showcase their potential and compete on an equal footing.
Submission of Qualification Proof
Candidates need to provide proof of having passed the Qualifying Degree with the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) specified by the Admitting Institute. This documentation must be submitted by September 2024, ensuring transparency and authenticity in the admission process.
Essential to stay prepared for the competitive Exams
|Nit Vs IIT||IIT Entrance Exam|
|IIT Jam Exam 2024||How To Get Into IIT|
|Medical Courses In IIT||IIT Without JEE|
|Top 10 IIT Colleges In India|
Admission Procedure for IIT JAM 2024
The admission process for IIT JAM 2024 is a crucial step for qualified candidates seeking entry into various academic programs offered by prestigious Admitting Institutes. Here’s an overview of the IIT JAM entrance exam registration process:
Online Application Submission
1. Qualified candidates must apply online through the official portal at https://joaps.iitm.ac.in.
2. The application fee varies
· Female candidates for one paper: INR 900
· Female candidates for two papers: INR 1,250
· Other categories for one paper: INR 1,800
· Other categories for two papers: INR 2,500.
Eligibility and Merit List
- Only candidates in the JAM 2024 Merit List are eligible for admission.
- Regardless of the number of Test Papers, candidates need to submit only one completed Application Form.
- Based on qualified Test Paper(s), candidates can apply for one or more academic programs.
- Fulfillment of Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) is necessary.
- During the application, candidates need to select their preferred programs in order of preference.
- Choices cannot be altered after the submission deadline.
Pre-Filled Application Form
The application form will be pre-filled with relevant details from the JAM 2024 examination application process.
List of Required Documents
Candidates must verify their details on the candidate portal before admission starts. Here’s the list of required documents
- Nationality Certificate: Aadhar Card, Passport, Birth Certificate, or Voter ID.
- SSC Marksheet.
- Category Certificate (if applicable).
- PwD Certificate (if applicable).
- Marksheets of Qualifying Degree years/semesters.
- Degree/Provisional certificate (if available).
- Filled Declaration Form.
Admission Offer and Fulfillment
- Admission offers are provisional and subject to meeting all requirements by specified dates.
- Merit list inclusion doesn’t guarantee automatic admission; it depends on merit order and seat availability.
In essence, IIT JAM 2024’s admission process involves an online application, document submission, choice selection, and provisional admission offers based on merit and seat availability. Candidates are advised to adhere to the guidelines and verify details for a seamless application process.
IIT JAM entrance exam date 2024
Below is the table showing the IIT JAM entrance exam dates for 2024:
|JAM 2024 Schedule||Date (Day)*|
|JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) Website Opens||September 05, 2023 (Tuesday)|
|Last Date for Online Registration/Application Submission||October 13, 2023 (Friday)|
|Availability of JAM Admit Cards on the Online Application Portal (for Download and Printing)||January 08, 2024 (Monday)|
|Date of Examination||February 11, 2024 (Sunday)|
|Announcement of the Results||March 22, 2024 (Friday)|
|Availability of Scorecards for download||April 02, 2024 (Tuesday)|
|Portal for Admission Opens||April 10, 2024 (Wednesday)|
Information is sourced from the official website – https://jam.iitm.ac.in/important_dates.php
IIT JAM 2024 Exam Pattern
The IIT JAM 2024 examination, designed to assess a candidate’s aptitude in various disciplines, will be conducted as a Computer Based Test (CBT). The examination will comprise seven Test Papers, each lasting 3 hours. The medium of instruction for all Test Papers will be exclusively in English. A total of 60 questions, carrying 100 marks in aggregate, will be presented to candidates. The paper will be categorized into three sections: A, B, and C, with specific question types and marking schemes.
Section A: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- 30 MCQs in total, with 10 one-mark and 20 two-mark questions.
- Each MCQ offers four choices, of which only one is correct.
- Negative marking: 1/3 mark deduction for a wrong one-mark answer, 2/3 mark deduction for a wrong two-mark answer.
Section B: Multiple Select Questions (MSQs)
- 10 MSQs, each carrying two marks.
- Multiple correct choices can be selected.
- Full credit is awarded only if all correct options are chosen, with no negative or partial marking.
Section C: Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
- 20 NAT questions, including 10 one-mark and 10 two-mark questions.
- Candidates input a signed real number using the virtual numeric keypad, with no choices provided.
- No negative markings for incorrect answers.
Instructions for Candidates
- The use of electronic devices, including mobile phones and calculators, is strictly prohibited.
- An online virtual calculator will be provided for calculations.
- Candidates can’t bring charts, graph sheets, or tables into the examination hall.
- A single scribble pad will be provided for rough work, to be returned before obtaining a second one.
- MCQ and MSQ answers are selected using a mouse, while NAT answers are entered using the virtual numeric keypad.
- The exam ends automatically after the stipulated time, necessitating timely submission.
Adherence to the specified code of conduct is essential, and any use of unfair means will result in disqualification from future JAM exams. This comprehensive exam pattern ensures a fair and thorough assessment of candidates’ knowledge and skills.
IIT JAM 2024 entrance exam syllabus
Here’s an outline of the IIT JAM 2024 entrance exam syllabus based on the provided subjects and topics:
|Biotechnology (BT)||– Biology: Cellular Structure, Genetics, Evolution, Ecology – Chemistry: Organic, Inorganic, Physical Chemistry – Mathematics: Sequences, Differential Equations – Physics: Mechanics, Thermodynamics|
|Chemistry (CY)||– Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Quantum Chemistry – Organic Chemistry: Reactions, Mechanisms – Inorganic Chemistry: Main Group Elements, Transition Metals|
|Geology (GG)||– Planet Earth: Origin, Atmosphere, Hydrosphere – Geomorphology: Landforms, Weathering – Structural Geology: Rock Deformation, Plate Tectonics|
|Mathematics (MA)||– Real Analysis: Sequences, Functions – Differential Equations: Ordinary, Partial – Linear Algebra: Matrices, Vector Spaces|
|Mathematical Stats||– Calculus: Sequences, Differentiation, Integration – Probability: Distributions, Random Variables – Statistics: Estimation, Hypothesis Testing|
|Physics (PH)||– Mathematical Methods: Calculus, Linear Algebra – Mechanics: Laws of Motion, Energy, Fluid Mechanics – Waves and Optics: Interference, Diffraction|
For complete detailed information, refer to the official bulletin – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9gV8tW3M8OoNJJjY7bUkZUlUVjkZbRG/view
IIT JAM entrance exam books
Preparing for the IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.) entrance exam requires a solid understanding of the core concepts in the respective subject areas. Here’s a list of recommended books for various subjects commonly covered in the IIT JAM exam:
- “Introduction to Electrodynamics” by David J. Griffiths
- “Classical Mechanics” by Herbert Goldstein
- “Modern Physics” by Arthur Beiser
- “Concepts of Modern Physics” by Arthur Beiser
- “Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications” by Nouredine Zettili
- “Organic Chemistry” by Paula Y. Bruice
- “Organic Chemistry” by Solomons and Fryhle
- Inorganic Chemistry:
- “Inorganic Chemistry” by Gary L. Miessler, Paul J. Fischer, and Donald A. Tarr
- “Physical Chemistry” by P.W. Atkins
- “Physical Chemistry” by Thomas Engel and Philip Reid
- “Higher Engineering Mathematics” by B.S. Grewal
- “Advanced Engineering Mathematics” by Erwin Kreyszig
- “Mathematical Methods” by S.M. Yusuf, Muhammad Amin, and M. A. Hassan
- “Molecular Biology of the Cell” by Bruce Alberts et al.
- “Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry” by David L. Nelson and Michael M. Cox
- “Genetics: From Genes to Genomes” by Leland H. Hartwell et al.
- “Biotechnology” by David P. Clark
- “Introduction to Mathematical Statistics” by Robert V. Hogg, Joseph W. McKean, and Allen T. Craig
- “Mathematical Statistics with Applications” by Dennis Wackerly, William Mendenhall III, and Richard L. Scheaffer
- “Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics” by S.C. Gupta and V.K. Kapoor
Remember that the list provided above is not exhaustive, and there might be other useful resources available as well. It’s also a good idea to check the official syllabus for the IIT JAM exam to ensure you’re covering all the required topics.
What after the IIT JAM entrance exam result?
After successfully qualifying for IIT JAM 2024, the next crucial step for candidates is the application for admission. This process entails filling out the admission form online via the JOAPS portal. It’s imperative to stay updated by checking the official IIT JAM website for any modifications to the admission form.
Importantly, candidates must adhere to the application deadline, as submissions beyond this date will not be entertained. Once all admission forms are received, the participating institutes will initiate their respective admission procedures.
The period following the IIT JAM results in 2024 is marked by the need for prompt and meticulous action. Aspirants should promptly complete the online admission form and keep track of any updates from official sources. This step is pivotal in securing a seat in their preferred institute and program.
IIT JAM entrance PreviousEntrancetoff
The IIT JAM entrance exam’s previous year’s cutoff marks hold significant importance for aspiring candidates. In the case of IIT JAM 2022, the cutoffs were officially released on the JOAPS 2022 portal. These cutoffs varied based on the specific subject and the candidate’s category. Expert analyses indicated that IIT JAM 2023 saw a slightly higher cutoff range of 27 to 29 marks due to the comparatively lower difficulty level of the questions.
Meeting this cutoff threshold is crucial, as it enhances a candidate’s chances of securing admission to their desired program. Furthermore, the relaxation of eligibility criteria by IISc Bangalore last year expanded opportunities for candidates in the IIT JAM counseling process, adding to the significance of these cutoff marks.
Bonus: IIT JAM 2024 exam preparation tips
Here’s a concise table with section-wise exam preparation tips for the IIT JAM 2024 in various subjects:
|Mathematical Stats||Practice solving diverse problems from probability, inference, and linear algebra. Review formulas and concepts.|
|Biotechnology||Focus on molecular biology, genetics, and bioprocess engineering. Solve previous papers to understand the exam pattern.|
|Geology||Study geologic time scales, mineralogy, and structural geology. Practice mapping and fieldwork techniques.|
|Chemistry||Master organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry. Solve numerical problems, understand mechanisms, and use mnemonics.|
|Economics||Understand microeconomics and macroeconomics theories. Solve case studies and practice mathematical applications.|
|Mathematics||Strengthen calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Solve problems from various branches for a comprehensive prep.|
|Physics||Focus on mechanics, electromagnetism, and modern physics. Solve numerical and practice derivations for conceptual clarity.|
Tailor your study strategy to your strengths and weaknesses, allocate ample time to practice, and review consistently. Use mock tests to simulate exam conditions.
The IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.) exam serves as a gateway for students seeking admission into prestigious Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and other top institutions for Master of Science (M.Sc.) and related programs. It assesses candidates’ understanding and aptitude in various science subjects, such as physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, and geology. The exam enables aspirants to pursue advanced education in these disciplines, fostering academic excellence and research-oriented careers. IIT JAM thus plays a pivotal role in identifying meritorious students and facilitating their access to premier educational institutions, contributing to the advancement of scientific knowledge and innovation in Ifocuses
Hope we have provided enough of the information! To get appropriate answers to the questions, it is crucially important to take the help of professional counselors. Do you know about yourself? Are you sure? Maybe, but taking unbiased career counseling can open up a lot of information about yourself. That will help you to decide whether you can crack this exam or not. iDreamCareer is here to assist you in making an informed decision about your future in this thriving field. Take advantage of iDreamCareer’s College & Course Selection Program today and embark on the path toward a successful future!
IIT JAM Exam: FAQs
The IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.) exam 2024 is a prestigious entrance examination in India for admission into M.Sc. and related programs at top institutions like IITs. It evaluates candidates’ knowledge in subjects like physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, and geology.
To apply for the IIT JAM 2024 exam, visit the official website, fill out the application form with accurate details, upload the necessary documents, and pay the application fee online.
The IIT JAM 2024 exam opens doors to premier educational institutions like IITs and other top colleges for advanced studies in science and research-oriented careers.
The exam typically consists of multiple-choice questions (MCQs), multiple-select questions (MSQs), and numerical answer-type questions. Each question carries different marks, and there might be negative markings for incorrect answers.
Clearing the IIT JAM 2024 exam can lead to admission into prestigious M.Sc. programs and research opportunities. Graduates often pursue careers in academia, research organizations, industry, and more.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.