Are you a class 12th student brimming with curiosity about the exciting world of microbiology? Do you find yourself contemplating the right path to tread in science after your 12th grade? The post-12th crossroads can be a perplexing juncture. You’re faced with questions like Which microbiology course is ideal for you? What microbiology courses after the 12th are available? What are the eligibility requirements for pursuing a microbiology course after the 12th? What skills do you need to thrive in this field? Where are the top colleges offering these courses? You’re not alone in your quest to become a microbiologist, and we’re here to guide you through it all.
Microbiology, the study of microscopic organisms, opens doors to various fascinating career options. In this blog, we will delve into the highlights and reasons for choosing microbiology courses after the 12th, the essential skills you’ll need to excel, and the numerous courses available, including undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, and even doctorate options. We’ll provide insights into the course details, fees, and the top colleges where you can pursue your dreams.
Furthermore, we’ll explore the opportunities for microbiologists in India, shedding light on salary expectations, placement prospects, and the coveted companies that hire microbiologists. We’ll also clarify the eligibility criteria and define the top 10 microbiology courses you can consider.
Whether you aspire to attain a Bachelor’s, Master’s, Diploma, or Doctorate in microbiology, this blog will be your compass in navigating the intricacies of a career in microbiology after 12th. So, all set? Ready to dive in? Come along…
Highlights of microbiology courses after 12th
Choosing microbiology courses after the 12th in India can open up a world of opportunities. Microbiology is the study of microorganisms, and it plays a crucial role in various fields such as medicine, agriculture, the food industry, and environmental science. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider pursuing microbiology courses after the 12th:
- Microbiology offers a wide range of courses, from diploma programs to comprehensive doctorate studies.
- The duration of microbiologist courses after the 12th varies from course to course. The diploma and PG diploma programs take 1-2 years. UG requires 3-4 years, PG is a 2-year commitment, and a Ph.D. typically takes 2 years.
- Graduates can choose career options as Microbiologists, Research Associates, Environmental Microbiologists, Biomedical Scientists, Pharmacologists, and Laboratory Technicians.
- The graduates can earn a great salary that ranges from Rs. 2-3 LPA for certificate holders to Rs. 10-20 LPA for Ph.D. holders, showcasing the lucrative nature of the field.
Thus, microbiology offers a diverse and rewarding career path with the potential to make a significant impact on various industries and contribute to advancements in science and technology. If you have a fascination for the microscopic world and a curiosity about how it influences our daily lives, microbiology could be a fulfilling choice after 12th.
Now, that we are here, do you want to know how to become a microbiologist after the 12th or what is the required qualification for becoming a microbiologist? Continue reading the next section…
Eligibility required to become a microbiologist in India
In this section, we will discuss the eligibility criteria required to pursue a microbiologist course after the 12th:
Microbiology UG Eligibility Criteria
To pursue a Microbiology undergraduate course, candidates need to meet certain criteria.
- A minimum of 60% marks in Class 12 from a recognized educational board is mandatory.
- Candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Zoology/Botany as compulsory subjects in Class 12 or an equivalent examination.
- Some institutions may require candidates to take entrance tests as part of the admission process. Students also need to clear the CUET UG exam to seek admission.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Microbiology PG Eligibility Criteria
Aspiring microbiologists at the postgraduate level must possess a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree.
- A minimum of 50% marks in the qualifying examination administered by the concerned university is required for admission.
- Entrance tests may be a prerequisite for admission in some institutions, with candidates needing to fulfill the criteria mentioned in the first point. Students also need to clear the CUET PG exam to seek admission.
Students can choose a Master’s degree with a specialization in any of the following fields:
- Applied Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Other Microbial Sciences
- Plant Microbiology
Ph.D. or M.Phil Level Eligibility
- Aspirants aiming for a Ph.D. or M.Phil in Microbiology need an M.Sc in Microbiology as a prerequisite.
- The eligibility criteria for these advanced levels may vary, and candidates are advised to stay updated on any official changes.
Note: Merit-based eligibility is mentioned, and variations may occur based on official updates.
Skills required to become a microbiologist
In this section, we will be providing you with the information about the skills required to pursue a microbiology course after the 12th:
- Biology Knowledge: A strong foundation in biology is essential. You should be well-versed in topics like cell biology, genetics, and ecology.
- Chemistry Proficiency: Microbiology involves various chemical processes, so a good understanding of chemistry, especially organic and biochemistry, is crucial.
- Mathematics: Basic mathematical skills, including algebra and statistics, are important for data analysis and research in microbiology.
- Laboratory Skills: You’ll need to be comfortable working in a laboratory, including skills like aseptic techniques, microscopy, and handling of biological samples.
- Critical Thinking: Microbiologists need to analyze complex data, think critically, and make decisions based on evidence.
- Problem-Solving: The ability to troubleshoot experiments and come up with solutions is essential.
- Communication Skills: Microbiologists often work in teams, so strong written and verbal communication skills are valuable for sharing research findings and collaborating with colleagues.
- Research Aptitude: A passion for scientific research and the patience to conduct experiments and analyze results is crucial for success in microbiology.
- Computer Literacy: Proficiency in using software for data analysis, modeling, and research documentation is increasingly important.
- Ethical Awareness: Understanding and adhering to ethical standards in research and handling of microorganisms is vital.
By developing these skills and fulfilling the necessary academic prerequisites, you can embark on a successful journey in microbiology after completing your 12th grade.
List of top microbiologist courses after 12th
Here’s the list of top microbiology courses after the 12th along with top institutes in India:
|BSc Microbiology||Kishinchand Chellaram College, Mumbai; |
Madras Christian College, Chennai;
Fergusson College, Pune;
St Joseph’s University, Bengaluru;
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Centenary College, Rahara, Kolkata
|BSc (Hons) Microbiology||Bundelkhand University, Jhansi; |
DAV University, Jalandhar;
Durgapur College of Management and Science, Durgapur;
Noida International University, Uttar Pradesh;
Swami Vivekananda Institute of Modern Sciences, Kolkata
|Diploma in Microbiology/PG Diploma in Microbiology||PMCH Patna; |
Era Medical College Lucknow;
Government Medical College Bhavnagar;
Texcity College of Paramedical Sciences
|MSc Microbiology||University of Mysore, Karnataka; |
Madaras Christian College, Chennai;
Fergusson College, Pune;
|PhD Microbiology||Madaras Christian College, Chennai; |
Fergusson College, Pune;
St. Mary’s College, Thrissur;
Dr. MGR-Janaki College of Arts and Science for Women, Chennai; among others.
Want to know more about colleges as per your interest? Connect with our experts! Visit – Career Counselling in Mumbai.
Average fees of microbiology courses after 12th in India
The fees for microbiology programs in India after completing 12th grade can significantly vary based on several factors, such as the type of institution—private or government-funded—and the level of the program, whether undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral, or diploma. Here’s an approximate overview of the range of fees:
For undergraduate programs, the fees typically range between 3.52 thousand to 7.39 lakhs in government institutions and 6.21 thousand to 6.74 lakhs in private institutions. Postgraduate courses vary from approximately 1.52 thousand to 1.92 lakhs in government setups and 4.40 thousand to 30.52 lakhs in private institutions.
Doctoral programs have fees ranging from 19.50 thousand to 5.14 lakhs, while diploma courses can vary between 45 thousand and 84.40 thousand. These fees are subject to change and can differ across various institutions, so it’s advisable to directly consult the specific colleges or universities for precise and updated fee structures.
Job opportunities after Microbiology courses
Microbiology graduates have a plethora of career options to explore, with diverse opportunities available across various sectors. Let’s delve into the potential job prospects and the associated salary ranges.
Assistant/ Junior Professor: Universities and colleges often hire microbiologists for teaching roles.
Research Associate: Those inclined towards research can join as research associates in educational institutions.
Junior Research Fellow: Research fellows with a PhD can find positions as junior research fellows.
Scientist/Scientist Officer: Research labs and institutes offer positions with the grade C designation.
Research Associate: Private research organizations and companies provide opportunities for research associates.
Quality Control (Microbiologist): Biopharmaceutical and food processing companies employ microbiologists for quality control positions.
Prominent employers include agricultural research organizations, biopharmaceutical giants like Biocon, dairy and food production companies such as Amul and Mother Dairy, and microbial production companies like Paxchem.
- Entry Level: Research associates typically start with salaries ranging from Rs. 25,000 to 30,000, while junior research fellows can earn around Rs. 35,000 to 38,000 per month.
- Mid-Level: With 2-6 years of experience, salaries may vary from Rs. 50,000 to 1,40,000 per month.
- Senior Level: After 15 years of experience, senior professionals can earn between Rs. 1,60,000 to 2,50,000 per month as scientists or professors. Quality controllers may earn between Rs. 60,000 to 2,00,000 per month.
Please note that the information regarding the above has been curated by the writer from several websites like Glassdoor, Ambition Box, Payscale, Naukri, etc. The average salary might vary from above based on the location and experience.
Microbiology courses offer a broad spectrum of career pathways with competitive salary potential, making it an attractive choice for those interested in this field.
Microbiology courses after the 12th offer a promising gateway to a world of fascinating opportunities. With a wide range of programs, from undergraduate to doctoral levels, aspiring microbiologists can explore a multitude of career paths. The eligibility criteria emphasize a strong academic foundation, and developing essential skills in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and research aptitude is vital.
Top institutions in India offer these courses, catering to various specializations. While fees vary based on program type and institution, the field’s lucrative potential is evident with competitive salary ranges in diverse sectors. Microbiology presents a dynamic and rewarding journey for those intrigued by the microscopic world and its impact on our lives.
We hope you have all the information needed to make the right career decision! However, choosing the right career could be a daunting task for anyone! And that’s why we are here to help you. Understand what it takes and whether you have it in you. You can avail of iDreamCareer’s special services for that.
We are here to assist you in making an informed decision about your future in this thriving field. Take advantage of iDreamCareer’s College & Course Selection Program today and embark on the path toward a successful future!
Microbiology Courses After 12th: FAQs
Microbiology courses after 12th encompass a wide range of academic programs that explore the world of microscopic organisms. They are an excellent choice for those interested in science and offer various career opportunities in medicine, agriculture, food industry, and environmental science.
Eligibility criteria vary depending on the level of the course. For undergraduate (UG) programs, you typically need a minimum of 60% marks in Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Zoology/Botany as compulsory subjects. Postgraduate (PG) programs require a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree with a minimum of 50% marks.
To excel in microbiology, you need skills like a strong foundation in biology and chemistry, mathematics proficiency, laboratory skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication skills, research aptitude, and ethical awareness.
The fees for microbiology programs can vary based on the type of institution and the level of the program. For undergraduate courses, fees range from 3.52 thousand to 7.39 lakhs in government institutions and 6.21 thousand to 6.74 lakhs in private institutions. Postgraduate courses range from approximately 1.52 thousand to 30.52 lakhs in private institutions.
Microbiologists in India can find opportunities in various sectors, including pharmaceuticals, food processing, research organizations, and educational institutions. Prominent employers include biopharmaceutical companies like Biocon, agricultural research organizations, and dairy and food production companies like Amul and Mother Dairy. Microbiology has a significant role in advancing these industries.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 5 years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for the Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.