The United States of America is one of the premier countries where students want to pursue their degrees. It is yet the most favored for international students and this is mostly because of the prestige of having a US-certified university degree. Students usually do a lot of research work regarding the intakes in the USA. They clearly do not want to miss out on any single opportunity that might take them to the doors of US universities. The US government has rolled out several programs to aid international students ahead of their studies.
Do you know?
The United States issued 82,000 student visas in 2022.
We must try to comprehend the fact of why students prefer US universities to any other universities in the world and what makes them do so despite having a number of good universities in their state of domicile. Let’s now read the complete insights on intakes in the USA in detail.
What all is covered in this post?
To make it easier for you, we have created a quick guide to everything you need to know about the intakes in the USA.
What is the education system in the USA?
International students have a wide range of options in the American educational system. However, before starting their quest for their child’s perfect school, a person must be conversant with American education. This will make it easier to plan the child’s educational needs. Parents can consult the blog for additional information. International students have a wide range of options in the American educational system. Even students from the United States may feel overwhelmed by the options given the wide variety of institutions, programs, and places available. It’s crucial to become familiar with the American educational system when you start your school search. Your options will become more focused as you establish your education plan and comprehend the system.
Let’s now have a look at the intakes in the United States
What are Intakes?
Intake refers to the number of applicants accepted by a company, particularly a college or university, at a given time. Between an applicant’s screening and admission, some intake procedures need several steps, whereas other programs only need applicants to fill out an intake form.
List of intakes in the USA
Here is the list of different types of intakes in the United States with their duration.
|Spring Intake||Intake for the spring in the USA begins in January and lasts through April or May.|
|Fall Intake||Fall intake or September intake in the USA is from September to December|
|Summer Intake||Summer intake or May intake in the USA starts from May and lasts till August|
Spring Intakes in the USA
Students frequently query the degree of flexibility in the US admissions procedure. The US b-schools, universities, and colleges offer batch-based intake procedures, including summer intake (starts around May), spring intake in the USA (Jan-May), and fall intake, in order to streamline the application process and provide an equitable opportunity to all candidates (Sep-Dec.) Take admission and start your studies in other US intakes if you must miss one intake owing to unavoidable reasons.
Highlights of the spring intake
Let’s have a look at a brief timeline of spring intakes.
|Spring Intake in the USA period||July – December|
|Commencement of classes||January|
|Conclusion of classes||April|
Benefits of Spring Intakes in the USA
- Since fewer students typically apply through the spring intake in the USA, there is less rivalry than there is for other intakes.
- When applying to the spring intake in the US, students have plenty of time to prepare for and take exams like the GMAT, SAT, ACT, GRE, IELTS, and others after finishing their bachelor’s degree or 10th or 12th-grade education.
- Students in the United States have greater options with spring intake to advance their experience through summer internships, research positions, volunteer work, and other activities.
Now that you know the benefits of spring intakes in the United States, let’s now look at the top universities that offer spring intake and their admission deadlines.
Top Spring Intake Universities in the USA
Here is the list of top-10 best universities for spring intake in the USA.
- University of Haven
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- University of California
- University of Cincinnati
- University of North Texas
- San Jose State University
- University of Texas
- California State University
- DePaul University
- University of Colorado
Summer Intakes in the USA
International students have a fantastic opportunity to study in the United States and benefit from internships and part-time work during the US summer intake. The United States is a global leader in education, and each year, its universities welcome thousands of students who want to study abroad. The finest colleges in the world, including the US, provide education of the highest caliber.
Highlights of the Summer Intake
Let’s have a look at a brief timeline of summer intakes.
|Summer Intake in the USA period||January to April|
|Commencement of classes||May|
|Conclusion of classes||August|
Benefits of the Summer Intakes in the USA
- For a variety of short-term, certification, and vocational courses, universities in the USA offer admissions for the summer semester. You’ll get a good start with these quick summer entry courses in the United States.
- Since there are currently fewer applicants than for other intakes, summer intake selection in the USA is often easier.
- Students can take the opportunity of online education to apply for spring internships in the USA.
Top Summer Intake Universities in the USA
Here is the list of top-10 best universities for summer intake in the USA.
- Johns Hopkins University
- Texas State University
- Claremont Graduate University
- State University of New York
- University of Arizona
- Illinois State University
- Texas Wesleyan University
- Wright State University
- University of Mary Hardin – Baylor
- Florida Institute of Technology
Fall Intakes in the USA
One of the most popular intakes among overseas students looking to study in the US after high school is the fall intake in the US, also known as the September intake in the US. This intake begins in late August or early September. The vast number of courses offered in this intake and the highest amount of cash available are the main causes of this.
Highlights of the fall intake
Let’s have a look at a brief timeline of fall intakes.
|Intake in the USA period||April – September|
|Commencement of classes||September|
|Conclusion of classes||December|
Benefits of Fall Intakes in the USA
- Since fall represents the start of the academic year, this is the season when most students apply to schools and institutions.
- During the fall intake, universities offer a wide variety of their signature courses and programs.
- Students have more access to financial aid and scholarships in the fall.
- For students interested in networking and other on-campus activities, the fall semester is preferable.
Top Fall Intake Universities in the USA
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- North Carolina State University
- Virginia Tech
- Cornell University
- Arizona State University
- University of Pittsburgh
- Columbia University
- Yale University
- Columbia university
Now that you have a clear understanding of different types of intakes in the USA, you might be thinking of grabbing this opportunity at the earliest. We have summed up the entire details in brief for you and we hope we were able to answer all the queries that you may have had.
Still in ambiguity? Why not talk to our highly experienced counselors at iDreamCareer?
iDreamCareer is on a mission to reach every state and every child in order to ensure that talent is aptly delivered to the industry. Talk to our study abroad experts who have 20+ years of experience to know yourself in and out! We have helped several brilliant but confused minds like Aayush, Tapan, and many more with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
- Pursuing a Master’s degree in the USA
- MBA in USA
- Top Public Universities in USA
- Top Universities in USA for MS
- MBA Universities in the USA
- MBA Colleges in USA
- STEM Courses in USA
- List of Scholarships for Indian Students in the USA
Intakes in the USA: FAQs
The three intakes available in the USA are spring intakes, fall intakes, and summer intakes.
Typically, it takes 8 to 10 weeks for US institutions to review the applications. The optimal intake, though, is typically in the fall.
In the USA, a year’s delay is typically acceptable. If a student has taken a break longer than a year, he or she should be able to provide enough justification for it. Medical documentation is required if a student has discontinued their studies or left college due to a medical issue.
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.