Planning to improve your managerial and leadership skills? Want to get global exposure and practical experience in business administration? Dreaming of pursuing MBA in the UK? Look no further. You may find a ton of thought-provoking advice for an MBA in the UK here & there, but you will need to know these nondescript details too. Most sources will miss these as too common.
MBA in the UK (United Kingdom) is a program designed to equip students with information that can be used in real-world organizations and business situations. Studying in the UK is one of the most common dreams of international students.
Do you know?
One of the most exciting things about the UK education system is that it allows international students to mix and match courses and specializations from different fields.
The amount of information may be huge at first, but by organizing everything, you will be able to deal with the whole process easier. To make it easier for you, we have created a quick guide to everything you need to know about studying in the UK.
So, without taking much time let’s dive into the info you wanted…
What all is covered in this post?
To make it easier for you, we have created a quick guide to everything you need to know about MBA in UK.
Why MBA in the UK?
Opting to study abroad UK is a popular choice. While there are many benefits of studying MBA in the UK, some of the main benefits are:
Programs for one year
Did you know that the duration of an MBA in the UK in just one year? This allows students to graduate faster, saving time and money, and allowing you to get out and start working much sooner.
Close ties with industry
Many UK universities and business schools have close links with industry leaders, giving students the opportunity to get to know the big companies and corporations they may one day work for.
The schools pride themselves on working closely with many of the world’s leading professional organizations, and a UK MBA will prepare you for the demands of 21st-century business.
Business contacts and network
Thanks to the close links with business and industry that all UK business schools have, you will meet a wide range of people at special events, lectures, and seminars. Maintaining these relationships, they will benefit your future career.
UK business school reputation
Of the world’s top 100 universities, the UK boasts 16 institutions, including four in the top ten, including Oxford, Cambridge, University College London, and Imperial College London. The UK is high on the list of international student destinations thanks to its history, global language, and reputation for high-quality courses at competitive prices. An MBA award will ensure that your resume stands out from the crowd.
There is a wide variety of small and private colleges, especially around London, that offer inexpensive MBA programs for international students. Many of these colleges have university-level MBA programs and offer a low-cost alternative for international students with tuition fees starting at £7,000.
Highlights of MBA program in UK
Eligibility for MBA in the UK
Looking for an answer on “How to apply for MBA in the UK?” Here is your answer to it! It should be noted that simply meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee admission to MBA courses at the best B-schools in the UK. Competitive scores and leadership and management skills reflected in LORs, SOPs, personal statements, and CVs make up your total application package. For an MBA in the UK, the general selection criteria for most business schools are as follows:
- Academic requirements – UG degree with a 2:1 qualification equivalent to 50-60% (some schools may require higher marks).
- GMAT Score – Required for most schools 600+ (minimum) Average score in 2019 across schools B 640-730.
- Experience – not always required but preferably 2 years (minimum) 5-6 years (average for the class of 2019 of various B-schools)
- Language Proficiency – International students must show an IELTS score of 6.5+ or a TOEFL iBT score of 95+.
- Letters of recommendation – 1 to 3. Preferably professional or from a supervisor. In case only 1 LOR is required, no academic LOR is accepted.
- Statement of Purpose/Essay – A 500-word personal statement/SOP that covers issues such as short- and long-term career goals, how an MBA will prepare you for the future, a description of your work experience, and why you chose this program.
- The visa is a student visa for studying in the UK. A Tier 4 UK Study Visa applies to students who wish to pursue full-time higher education in the UK.
- Funds – You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself: £1,334 per month (~ INR 122,004) if you stay in London, or £1,023 per month (~ INR 93,560) in courses outside London.
Eligibility for MBA in the UK for Indian students
A degree in business or management is not a prerequisite for doing an MBA in the UK for Indian students or students in the US.
Even some of the best MBA colleges in the UK for Indian students have certain criteria that students must meet to gain admission. So, before you get a position at a business school, you need to consider several criteria:
- GMAT Test Score Competitive
- Work experience (depending on the school)
- SOPs (Required by Business School)
- Scorecard of the English language
- Recommendations from former academic institutions and places of work
MBA without work experience in the UK
Some of the business schools that offer an MBA in the UK without work experience are
MBA in the UK without GMAT
To get an MBA without a GMAT score in the UK, you can either look for business schools that accept students without a GMAT score or take an alternative full-time MBA program that does not have the GMAT as an entry requirement. Some of the business schools in the UK that accept full-time MBA applications without a GMAT are:
- The University of Central Lancashire: Applications for the MBA program can be made if you are language-eligible, UG-eligible, and have basic work experience.
- Warwick School of Business: International applicants may or may not require a GMAT score when applying. Although the probability of getting a GMAT score is high, this does not mean that it is the minimum requirement that must be met. However, you will need to submit a minimum score of 600+ if asked.
- Birmingham Business School: Offering a full-time international MBA, it does not require international students to have a GMAT score when applying.
- Lancaster University School of Management: You are required to either have an admissions essay or a GMAT score. Therefore, passing the GMAT is not the primary eligibility criteria.
- Durham University Business School: You may be required to submit a GMAT score in cases where the student’s portfolio or academic qualifications are deemed insufficient by the university.
In addition to these full-time MBA programs, you can look for online MBA programs where the GMAT is not a minimum selection criterion or Executive MBA programs.
Best MBA colleges in UK
Following are some of the top colleges in the UK for pursuing an MBA:
|Universities||QS World University Rankings: MBA rankings 2022|
|Alliance Manchester Business School, The University of Manchester||45|
|Cranfield School of Management, Cranfield University||75|
|Imperial College Business School, Imperial College London||21|
|London Business School||6|
|Said School of Business, University of Oxford||13|
|School of Business and Management– Queen Mary University of London||64|
|The Business School (formerly Cass), City, University of London||78|
|University of Cambridge, Judge Business School||17|
|University of Edinburgh Business School, The University of Edinburgh||55|
|Warwick Business School, University of Warwick||32|
What is the fees for MBA in the UK?
With more than 395 universities, the United Kingdom ranks second among international educational centers. In addition to its multicultural diversity, the country also hosts more than 5 lakh, international students. One of the biggest advantages of studying in this country is that students from all over the world have the opportunity to make meaningful connections that help them in networking.
Most international MBA students in the UK are concerned about paying for the university as their main source of financial worry. On MBA courses in the UK, you can expect to encounter a different set of international fees because business schools set their own fee policies for international students.
Moreover, the total fees for an MBA in the UK for international students depend on the university, course type, and nationality. Compared to local and EU students who pay a cap of up to €9,250 per year (INR 7 lakh), non-EU students pay higher fees of around €35,000 to €58,000 (from 29, 5 lakhs to INR 48) per annum.
Average fees for MBA in the UK
In this section, you will find out about the average fees of studying for an MBA in the UK and the cost of living in the UK for international students. The average first-year fees of an MBA in the UK is INR 21.01 lakhs. The average cost of living in the UK is around INR 6.03 lakhs per year.
Cost of UK Student Visa
There are two types of UK study visas:
- The Tier 4 Student Visa (General) is a visa category for students coming to the UK for higher education. Applicant must be at least 16 years old.
- The Tier 4 (Student) visa is a visa category for children aged between 4 and 15 who are coming to the UK to study. Children between the ages of 4 and 15 can only study in private schools that pay for their education.
Low fees colleges for MBA in the UK
The fee structure varies from university to university. If you want to do an MBA at a Russell Group university, the fee will be between £25,000 – £35,000. If you want to do an MBA at a state-funded university, the fee will be between £12,000 and £20,000.
International students will also benefit from the scholarship. The fee structure of some universities (for session 2022-2023) is given below:
|Name of the University||Fee structure (1 year)|
|Anglia Ruskin University||£17,200 GBP|
|Birmingham City University||£16,300 GBP – £18,000 GBP|
|Coventry University||£18,500 GBP|
|De Montfort University||£17,000 GBP|
|London school of economics||£19,000 GBP – £30,000 GBP|
|Queen’s University Belfast||£19,000GBP – £26,250 GBP|
|Sheffield Hallam University||£17,105 GBP|
|Ulster University||£19,000 GBP|
|University for creative arts||£18,500GBP|
|University of East London||£16,200 GBP|
|University of Worcester||£14,400 GBP|
|York St. John University||£10,800 GBP|
MBA in UK Cost
MBA in the UK is well known which makes it slightly more expensive than in other fields. However, there are many ways in which you can afford the best education in the world. In addition, of course, it is important to learn about the various costs associated with education. Don’t worry! We have put together a list of pre-departure expenses, tuition fees, and cost of living.
Cost before arrival to study MBA in the UK
It is the initial investment that is more important to start the application process. Typically, this includes exam fees, application fees, visa fees, and more. This may vary depending on circumstances prior to departure. The table below will help you understand and be informed before your departure.
|Particulars||Average Expense (USD)|
Average cost of MBA in the UK
Usually, as popularity increases, the cost of an MBA in the UK will be higher. International students make conscious decisions when choosing the best business school. Students need to manage their finances according to requirements in various areas such as applying for a UK student visa, application fees, and travel tickets. The cost upon arrival includes tuition fees and living expenses during your studies? The cost of attending an MBA in the UK includes all tuition fees incurred by students as well as the cost of living in the UK until the course is completed.
There is another advantage of the shorter length of MBA programs in the UK, and that is the total cost of tuition and living costs is almost halved. The cost of an MBA in the UK can vary from college to college. Tuition fees can range from £10,000 to £15,000 (except for Oxford and Cambridge which can cost up to £45,000).
MBA salary in the UK
After completing your MBA from top UK colleges, you can earn up to INR 95 lakhs per annum in reputed organizations in India. For students who wish to stay in the UK after completing their MBA, there are some reputed UK educational institutions that offer their students sponsorship support to extend their Tier 4 visas. This will surely help in repaying your UK study loan and also save you the money you need to return to their country.
To attend a 12-month program in the UK, the UK student visa will be valid for 16 months. This will help you look for a job during the remaining four months, which will not leave you with the only option to rush back to your country. However, student visa regulations are constantly changing, which means you should always keep the most up-to-date information on them in mind.
How to get a scholarship for MBA in the UK?
Following are the steps you need to consider for availing scholarship for MBA in the UK:
Below we have compiled a list of the best scholarships you can choose from to finance your chosen MBA program:
- Brokerfish International Student Scholarship
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship
- Chevening Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship
- Education Grants by Tata Trusts Academy Senior Fellowship
- Global Study Awards
- Go Clean Scholarship
- GREAT Scholarships
- Hornby Scholarship
- Inlaks Scholarships
- The Financial Sumo Educational Scholarship Program
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- The Oxford and Cambridge Society of India Scholarships– University of Cambridge
- University of East Anglia Scholarship
Leaving your hometown to study abroad is always a difficult choice, but you have to overcome it to achieve your dream of pursuing an MBA in the UK.
iDreamCareer is on a mission to reach every state and every child in order to ensure that talent is appropriately delivered to the industry.
Talk to our study abroad experts who have 20+ years of experience to know yourself in and out! We have helped several brilliant but confused minds with the aim to select their most-suited career choices. Hear the success story of Aayush who got an offer from the top 3 universities and is now studying at a University in Ottawa in Canada after getting career guidance from our industry experts!
- Universities in UK for Masters
- Study in UK without IELTS
- Study in UK
- UK Student Visa: Your Full-on Details Manual
- List of UK Scholarships for Indian Students
- Crack MBA Entrance Exams
- Choosing the Right MBA Specialization
- Best country for MBA
- Scholarships to Study Abroad for Indian Students
- Looking For an MBA Finance Career Strategy?
- Online MBA: Programs, Top colleges, Course Specializations and Best Strategy
- UK Visas and Immigration – Guide
- M.Tech vs MBA: An Engineer’s Greatest Dilemma
- LLM in UK
- MBBS in UK
- PLAB Exam
Some of the highly paid MBA specializations in the UK are finance, marketing, international business, information technology, & business analytics.
In context, one-year Masters degrees in the UK are not considered equivalent to two-year Masters degrees in India. Students with a one-year master’s degree from the UK had to apply for a “certificate of equivalency” from the Association of Indian Universities.
Work experience is essential for admission to the UK’s most prestigious universities. Most UK universities, in fact, require at least two to three years of work experience. However, there are some business schools that offer an MBA in the UK without work experience.
A UK MBA is a long-term investment in your career. It is undeniably worth the money. A UK MBA will also broaden your horizons and strengthen your resume.
Anushree has 6+ years of experience and currently she is associated with idreamcareer.com as a Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Masters in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion towards writing.