Aeronautical Engineers or Aerospace Engineers research & analyze information to develop designs, test them & solve problems that go all the way into making aircraft, rockets, and spacecraft including helicopter, drones, and defense aircraft too.
They also find & correct potential problems to ensure compliance with quality, safety, and functionality requirements of these flying machines.
Aeronautical Engineers work specifically for aircraft that operate within national and international commercial/military airspaces.
Aerospace Engineers develop space/galatic instruments for intra/inter-space missions.
However, both types of engineers, more or less, have similar work responsibilities and use similar technologies too.
This page will tell you about the education qualifications, types of work roles, jobs positions available, recruiters/companies, salaries, and more. Find link to this career pathway in the last section.
About Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering
Aeronautical Engineers and Aerospace Engineers design, develop, and build prototypes, test, construct and commission models, as well as maintain various types of aircraft.
Aerospace Engineers, especially, are responsible for designing, developing, and building prototypes as well as testing, constructing, commissioning, and maintaining various types of spacecraft such as space shuttles, rockets, and space stations.
A set of common duties include:
- Conceptualize and design aeronautical/aerospace products and components airplane, helicopter, drones, defense aircraft, etc., according to client requirements.
- Supervise or coordinate activities related to technical designing, fabricating, modifying, or testing of aerospace products such as space vehicles like the Mars Rovers, space shuttles like the Columbia, and space stations like the ISS (International Space Station).
- Plan and conduct experimental, environmental, operational, and stress tests on both prototypes and finished models of aircraft/spacecraft systems and equipment.
- Evaluate product data and design from inspections and reports to ensure they conform to engineering principles, customer requirements, and industry standards.
- Prepare technical reports and other necessary documentation for the perusal of engineering staff, management, and clients.
What UG degrees will help you?
Besides, B.Tech./B. E in Aerospace/ Aeronautical Engineering, same job positions are also offered to graduates with engineering degrees in:
- Production or Industrial Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & VLSI Design Engineering
- Electronics & Embedded Systems Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
What PG degrees will help you further?
To build a rewarding career, it is a good idea to pursue a Postgraduate degree in Aeronautical / Aerospace Engineering or in any of the following fields:
- Astronautical Engineering
- Aircraft and Spacecraft Design Engineering
- Jet & Rocket Engineering
- Propulsion Engineering
- Space Engineering
- Structural Engineering (Aircraft & Spacecraft)
- Vehicle Dynamics & Control
Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in India
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
- Anna university, Chennai
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology
- Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), Bhubaneshwar
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Aeronautical Engineering Jobs
Modern concepts, innovations and products in this area of work revolve around CAE products or Computer-Aided Engineering products only and hence most jobs will require you to be familiar with state-of-art technologies as given in the following para.
You will find multiple job openings if you are adept with IT software skills specifically open-source tools based on Linux OS, embedded systems, EDA, VLSI, ASIC, & chip design.
Also, all job roles in this sector will need you to read, understand, and interpret advanced engineering drawings, complex tool fabrication drawings & specifications, Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances (GD&T) etc. Such drawings are also CAE products that come from CAD/CAM, CATIA, Unigraphics-NX, etc. tools.
Examples of Work Roles
- Aerospace/ Aeronautical Engineer
- Structural Design Engineer/Lead Engineer – Specific Design
- Engineer – Mechanical / Electrical Preparation & Design
- Stress Engineer – Research and Technology
- Composite Analysis Engineer
- Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
- CATIA Design Engineer
- CAE Engineer (developing multi-disciplinary numerical algorithms)
Aeronautical Engineering Companies in India
Here is a list of companies operating in India that hire Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineers or B.Tech./B. E graduates from disciplines as mentioned above.
Some of these are headquartered outside of India but have operational facilities in India. They have several job openings across a year.
- Collins Aerospace
- Thales Group
- Dassault Systemes
- Chivaro Technologies
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Government & defense organizations such as Defence Research and Development Laboratories (DRDO), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Civil Aviation Department, Airport Authority of India (AAI), etc.
Aeronautical Engineering Salaries
After your bachelor’s degree, you may expect to earn about Rs. 40,000 – 80,000 or even more per month.
In junior level roles, you can expect to earn about Rs. 70,000 – 1,00,000 or more per month.
In mid-level roles, you can earn about Rs. 1,20,000 – 2,50,000 or even more per month.
In senior level roles, you can earn about Rs. 2,00,000 – 5,00,000 or even more per month.
If you are working abroad, depending on your qualifications and experience, you may earn USD 5,000 to 20,000 or more per month.
Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineers primarily deal in designing, developing, testing, manufacturing and maintaining various kinds of aircraft, space stations, space shuttles, rockets, and missiles. If this interests you, waste no time to reach out to a counseling expert who can help you reach your dream college and company in future. iDreamCareer’s expert panel has been helping millions of young minds uncover their true mettle. Book your place with us now!
Pages you’d need
- University of Nottingham – Aerospace Engineering booklet
- Book by Dava Newman, MIT (USA) – Interactive Aerospace Engineering and Design
- Aerospace Engineer – Full Career Pathway
- If you’re interested in a bit of history, read this!
Currently associated with iDreamCareer (India) as the Principal Analyst.