NEET Exam or National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, is an entrance examination for medical aspirants wanting to pursue a career in this field. The exam is conducted as per the regulations of the National Medical Commission Act-2019, Indian Medical Council Act-1956 and the Dentists Act-1948 and others as amended consequently.
The National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET-UG) for admission to undergraduate medical education is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GOI), has established NTA as an independent and autonomous premier testing organization registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
Get Free Career Dashboard Access
NEET Exam (UG)
According to the National Medical Commission Act, 2019, admission to undergraduate medical courses in all medical institutions including those governed under any other law, will be done through NEET. Moreover, admission to the MBBS course in AIIMS, New Delhi, JIPMER and all AIIMS like Institutions will also be made through NEET (UG).
National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test, NEET (UG) has replaced the ‘All India Pre Medical Test’ (AIPMT) and all the individual ‘MBBS Entrance Exams’, which were usually conducted by the States and/ or Medical Colleges.
Below are the important websites that the candidates would need to keep a check on:
- To check all the test related information, as amended from time-to-time (if any), will be available on the official website only. Candidates must regularly check NEET Official website for updates and notifications.
- The official websites for counselling of 15% All India seats, Central Institutions/University and Deemed Universities related information is as under:
- For MBBS/BDS Courses:
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare: Link
- Medical Counselling Committee: Link
- For BAMS/BSMS/BUMS/BHMS Courses:
NEET (UG) Exam pattern
- Mode of Examination- NEET (UG) is a Pen & Paper-based test, to be answered on the specially designed machine gradable sheet using Ball Point Pen.
- The duration of the test will be three (03) hours.
- NEET shall be conducted in 11 languages, including English and Hindi.
- The NEET shall consist of one question paper containing 180 multiple-choice questions (four options with the single correct answer) from Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Botany & Zoology).
- The schedule of examination activities and other important information are as follows:
|Subject||Type of Question||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Physics||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with four options and single correct answer/best option||45||180|
|Biology (Botany & Zoology)||Same||90||360|
- Each question carries 04 (four) marks.
- For each correct answer/best option, the candidate will get 04 (four) marks.
- For each incorrect answer, 01(one) mark will be deducted from the total score.
- To answer a question, the candidate has to find, for each question, the correct answer/ best option
For more information regarding NEET (UG), please refer to pdf here.
Eligibility for appearing in NEET (UG) is as per related Regulations is as follows:
- The eligibility conditions regarding age limit have been revised as under: For Candidates of General (UR)/General-EWS & For Candidates of SC/ST/OBC-NCL/PwD Category the age limit would be: born on or before 31.12.2003
- Indian Citizens/ Overseas Citizens of India intending to pursue Undergraduate Medical Courses from a foreign Medical/ Dental Institute also need to qualify NEET (UG).
NEET Exam (PG)
NEET-PG is a qualifying-cum-ranking examination for admission to MD/MS/ Post Graduate Diploma courses. It is conducted by National Board of Examinations.
The selection and admission to Postgraduate seats in any medical institutions recognized for running MD/ MS/Post Graduate Diploma courses as per Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 is subject to fulfilling the admission criteria, eligibility, medical fitness, and such criteria as may be prescribed by the respective universities, medical institutions, Medical Council of India, State/Central Government.
NEET (PG) Exam pattern
- NEET-PG shall be a multiple choice questions exam delivered on a computer-based platform (CBT).
- The examination comprises of 300 Multiple Choices, single correct response questions in English language only.
- The Time allotted is 3hr 30 min. The question paper shall be divided into 3 parts (Part A, B, and C) each containing 50, 100, 150 MCQs respectively.
- Negative marking: There shall be 25% negative marking for incorrect answer.
Candidates in possession of MBBS degree or Provisional MBBS Pass Certificate recognized as per the provisions of the Indian Medical Council Act 1956 and possessing permanent or provisional registration certificate of MBBS qualification issued by the Medical Council of India or State Medical Council and have completed one year of internship or likely to complete the internship are eligible for NEET (PG).
For more information regarding NEET (PG), please refer to the pdf here.
- Picking out the Top Engineering Entrance Exams – India
- MBBS in Philippines: A Comprehensive Guide
- LLM in UK: A Guide to Settle in England
- Best Engineering Colleges in Canada
- Best College for Commerce in India
- Best Computer Courses for Your Bright Future
Get Free Career Dashboard Access
March 27, 202050 Comments|
March 27, 202026 Comments|
March 30, 20208 Comments|
March 30, 202012 Comments|
March 27, 202065 Comments|
The iDC Editorial Team brings in a collective work experience of more than 25 years in diverse fields spanning from career counselling, management consulting, engineering, and technology to science, finance, and humanities. The team’s key competencies are in research and analysis of careers, jobs, and industries. The team boasts of a few best-in-class writers on careers and education.