Choosing a career in graphic design after 12th can be an exciting and rewarding option for students who are passionate about art, design, and technology. Graphic design is an art form that combines creativity, communication, and technology to create visual concepts and ideas that convey a message or tell a story. With the rise of the digital age, the demand for skilled graphic design courses after 12th has increased significantly in recent years. Graphic designers are now an essential part of almost every industry, including advertising, publishing, branding, and web development.
After completing 12th grade, students can pursue various graphic design courses to build their skills and knowledge in this field. There are several courses available in graphic design, ranging from certificate programs to diploma courses and degree programs. However, before enrolling in a graphic design course, students must understand the scope of the field and the eligibility criteria for each course.
What is graphic design?
Graphic design is a creative field that combines art, design, and technology to create visual content that communicates a message or idea. Graphic designers use various tools and techniques to create designs for print, digital media, and other forms of visual communication. The goal of graphic design is to convey information in a visually appealing and effective manner.
Types of Graphic Design
Here are some of the most common types of graphic design:
- Visual Identity Graphic Design: This type of graphic design focuses on creating a brand identity, including logos, business cards, and letterheads.
- Marketing and Advertising Graphic Design: This type of graphic design involves creating designs for advertising campaigns, including billboards, social media ads, and product packaging.
- Publication Graphic Design: This type of graphic design is related to the publishing industry and involves creating designs for books, magazines, and newspapers.
- Environmental Graphic Design: This type of graphic design involves creating designs for physical spaces, including museums, exhibitions, and public spaces.
- Web Design: This type of graphic design is related to creating designs for websites, including user interface (UI) design, user experience (UX) design, and responsive design.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
What does a graphic designer do?
You must be wondering what is the work of a graphic designer. Let’s discuss the work of a graphic designer in brief:
- Develop visual concepts: Graphic designers create visual concepts and ideas that communicate a message or tell a story to a specific audience.
- Design layouts: They design layouts for print, digital media, and other forms of visual communication, including brochures, advertisements, websites, social media posts, and logos.
- Choose colors and fonts: They select appropriate colors, fonts, and other design elements that convey the desired message and align with the brand’s image.
- Use design software: They use various design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, to create designs, edit images, and manipulate typography.
- Collaborate with clients: They work closely with clients to understand their requirements and preferences and create designs that meet their needs and expectations.
- Revise designs: They revise and modify designs based on feedback from clients or stakeholders.
- Stay updated: They stay updated with the latest design trends, tools, and technologies to stay competitive in the industry.
Graphic Design Courses After 12th: Top Colleges
There are many top colleges that offer graphic design courses after 12th. Here is a list of some top colleges:
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad
- Industrial Design Centre (IDC), IIT Bombay, Mumbai
- Srishti Institute of Art, Design, and Technology, Bangalore
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- DJ Academy of Design, Coimbatore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Delhi
- Pearl Academy, Delhi
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur
- Wigan & Leigh College, Delhi
- Arena Animation, Mumbai
It’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and there are many other colleges and institutions across India offering graphic design courses. To know more, read: Best Graphic Design Colleges in India
Get the Detailed Information about other professional courses after 12th
Best Graphic Design Courses
There are different graphic design courses based on the different academic levels. However, some of the important graphic design courses after the 12th are:
|Bachelor Courses||Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design Bachelor of Design in Graphic Design Bachelor of Visual Communication Design in Graphic Design||Duration: 03-04 Years|
|Master Courses||Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design Master of Science in Graphic Design Master of Arts in Graphic Design Master of Design in Graphic Design Master of Visual Communication Design in Graphic Design||Duration: 1-2 Years|
|Certificate Courses||Certificate in Graphic Design Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) Certification in Graphic Design and Illustration using Adobe Illustrator Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) Certification in Graphic Design and Illustration using Adobe Photoshop Certificate in Visual Design with Photoshop and Illustrator Certificate in Web Design and Graphic Design||Duration: 6 months – 1 Year|
|Diploma Courses||Diploma in Graphic Design Diploma in Digital Graphic Design Diploma in Advertising and Graphic Design Diploma in Web and Graphic Design Diploma in Visual Communication and Graphic Design||Duration: 1-2 Years|
Don’t want to pursue regular courses? Don’t worry! We have compiled a list of online websites that offer free graphic design courses post the 12th standard.
Free Graphic Design Courses after 12th with Certificates
There are many websites and online platforms that offer free graphic design courses with certificates. Here are some options you can explore:
- Canva Design School: Canva offers free online courses on graphic design, branding, and visual communication. These courses are self-paced and offer a certificate of completion.
- Udemy: Udemy offers a range of free and paid graphic design courses. Some courses offer a certificate of completion upon finishing the course.
- Alison: Alison offers a range of free online graphic design courses, including courses on Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and graphic design principles. Upon completion, learners can receive a certificate of achievement.
- OpenLearning: OpenLearning offers free courses on graphic design, including courses on branding, typography, and design principles. Upon completion, learners can receive a certificate of completion.
- Coursera: Coursera offers a range of free and paid graphic design courses from top universities and institutions. Some courses offer a certificate of completion upon finishing the course.
Graphic Design Syllabus
The syllabus for graphic design courses can vary depending on the course level, institution, and specific program. However, here are some common topics covered in graphic design courses:
- Introduction to Graphic Design: History, principles, and Elements of graphic design.
- Digital Imaging: Image editing software, image resolution, color theory, and image optimization.
- Typography: Typefaces, font families, font pairing, and typographic hierarchy.
- Layout Design: Page layout, grid systems, composition, and white space.
- Branding and Identity Design: Logo design, brand guidelines, and brand identity development.
- Packaging Design: Packaging design concepts, packaging materials, and label design.
- Web Design: User interface design, responsive design, web typography, and web graphics.
- Motion Graphics: Animation, video editing, and motion graphics design.
- Portfolio Development: Creating a portfolio of work showcasing design skills and projects.
- Professional Practices: Business practices, ethics, client management, and entrepreneurship.
Pursuing graphic design courses after 12th can be a great career choice for those who have a passion for design and creativity. There are various types of courses available, including Bachelor’s, Master’s, diploma, and certificate courses, both online and offline, with varying durations and course structures. While there are many colleges and institutions across India offering graphic design courses, it’s important to research and compare programs before selecting a college.
Lastly, there are also free online courses available that can be a great way to learn new skills and showcase your knowledge to potential employers. With the growing demand for skilled graphic designers, pursuing a graphic design course after 12th can open up exciting career opportunities in various industries.
Hope we would have been able to provide you with all the information that you need regarding the graphic design courses after 12th. Still, got questions? Why don’t you connect with our industry experts? Yes, you read it right! You can get your queries resolved in just 60 seconds from our Career counselors. So, what are you waiting for? Download the iDreamCareer app now!
- Top Arts Courses After 10th
- Career as a Visual Communication Designer
- Career in Graphic Designing
- Career as a Flim and Video Design
- Career as an Illustrator
Graphic Design Courses After 12th: FAQs
The duration of graphic design courses after 12th varies depending on the type of course. Bachelor’s courses are typically 3-4 years, while diploma and certificate courses can range from a few months to a year.
The eligibility criteria for graphic design courses after 12th varies depending on the type of course. For Bachelor’s courses, candidates must have completed 10+2 with a minimum percentage specified by the institution. Diploma and certificate courses may have different eligibility criteria.
Some popular specializations in graphic design courses after 12th include UI/UX design, visual communication design, animation, branding and identity design, and typography.
After completing a graphic design course after 12th, one can pursue careers in various fields such as advertising, digital marketing, print and digital media, animation, and more.
Yes, there are many free online courses available on platforms like Udemy, Alison, and Coursera, that offer graphic design courses after 12th with certificates.
Some essential skills required for pursuing graphic design courses after 12th include creativity, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, communication skills, proficiency in design software, and knowledge of design principles and trends.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.