Doctors are in increasing demand all over the world. MBBS is a highly sought-after program for Indian students interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. MBBS in the USA for Indian students will provide access to world-class education and research opportunities, as well as a chance to experience life in a new country.
Do you know?
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), there were a total of 20,081 international medical students enrolled in medical schools in the USA in the 2019-2020 academic year, representing about 15% of all medical students.
The world considers medicine one of the noblest professions. The MBBS degree, considered one of the most prestigious in medicine, requires intensive study and training. Most of the students are trying to clear the entrance exam. However, only a tiny percentage of those who apply are accepted. When it comes to studying abroad for Indian students, the United States is probably the first place that comes to mind. The United States, one of the best educational systems in the world, has great potential for scientific research and development.
What all is covered in this post?
So, if you are interested in studying MBBS in the USA as an Indian student, this blog will provide you with all the information you need to help you better understand MBBS in the USA.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS In the USA
MBBS is often referred to as MD (Doctor of Medicine) in the USA. Students who have completed medical school and are qualified to practice medicine are awarded the professional degrees of MBBS and MD. In the USA, the medical degree is called an MD, while in other countries such as India, it is called MBBS.
Students who wish to enroll in a top medical college in the USA must meet the following criteria:
- He/she should have secured a minimum of 50% marks in 12th standard from any recognized Indian central or state board with Biology, Physics, and Chemistry as compulsory subjects.
- If the percentage of a particular student is less than 50%, he has to pass the entrance test.
- If a student does not have Biology, Physics, and Chemistry in his 12th standard, he has to do a pre-medical year.
- A good IELTS or TOEFL score is required.
Required documents for obtaining a student visa in the USA
There are many different rules for getting a US student visa, including the government or legal interface because the US is a superpower and the best country in the world. Students who want to pursue MBBS in the USA will get an F-class student visa in the USA.
To obtain a US student visa, meet the following general requirements:
- Receipt for payment of the visa fee.
- VFS appointment letter for interview.
- Print the DS 160 form duly completed by the student along with the barcode.
- The US university issues the l-120 form during the interview, carry it with you.
- Copies of passport-size photographs.
Exams to study MBBS in the USA for Indian students
International students must submit several standardized test scores to be eligible to apply for an MBBS in the US. This includes program entrance exams and English proficiency test results. Following are the popular exams required to study MBBS in the USA:
- MCAT: The Medical College Admission Test, commonly known as the MCAT, is the most popular aptitude test for medical schools. Top universities consider a 511 or higher to be a good MCAT score, with at least 117 in each section.
- NEET: The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, or NEET, is an all-India medical entrance exam accepted by several top universities in the USA. Students from the unreserved categories are considered acceptable if they score above the 50th percentile on the NEET.
Note: To know everything about intakes and studying procedures in the USA, refer to our Study in the USA and Intakes in the USA blog posts!
How to do MBBS in the USA?
Following are the steps you need to follow to pursue MBBS in the USA:
- Step 1: The first step is for students to fill out the forms and send their applications to as many universities as they wish to increase their chances of getting a response.
- Step 2: Students must clear the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) to gain admission to MBBS in the US. This test assesses students’ knowledge of reasoning, science, and writing skills and is a computer-based test lasting 4 to 5 hours.
- Step 3: The student must attach relevant test scores, proof of English language proficiency, letters of recommendation, and other required documents to the application.
- Step 4: In order to obtain a US student visa, students must pass a medical examination.
Cost of MBBS in the USA for Indian students
Students are always looking for colleges or medical schools that offer MBBS in the USA at low cost. However, the fees of MBBS in the USA for Indian students are almost the same as in Indian private colleges. The advantage is that medical universities in the USA do not ask for any donations.
Some of the best MBBS schools with average tuition fees in the USA charge a fee of Rs. 60-65 lakhs for the entire undergraduate course of 5.5 years duration.
While some colleges charge around 20-30 lakh rupees per annum. At the PG (residency program) level, students can earn this money to a great extent.
In addition to this, they also have the opportunity to earn scholarships offered by some of the best MBBS universities in the USA for Indian students, but for which they have to apply early. Eligible students can get scholarships of up to Rs.13 lakhs towards the fees for the first 3 years of study.
Duration of MBBS in the USA
The MBBS course duration in the US differs from the standard course duration in other countries:
- After completing the 4-year bachelor’s degree, the student receives the qualification of Doctor of Medical Sciences.
- Medical colleges in the US have a residency program where students can choose an appropriate area of specialization after completing a 3–4-year MD. The residency program is nothing but a PG-level program. The duration of the residency program depends on the major chosen by the student. Because different specializations take different periods of time. A general surgeon requires 5 years, while a pediatrician requires 3 years, on the other hand, a neurosurgeon requires 7 years.
- During the year of study, students must take USMLE exams 1, 2, and 3 in their respective steps. After the USMLE 3 exam, the student is awarded the MBBS degree. So, the total duration of the MBBS course in the USA is 7 to 9 years.
List of MBBS colleges in the USA
In this section, we have tabulated a list of top medical colleges in the USA for Indian students along with the course duration:
|Columbia University||5 years|
|Cornell University||6 years|
|Duke University||4 years|
|Harvard University||5 years|
|Johns Hopkins University||4 years|
|Stanford University||4 years|
|University of California, Los Angeles||7 years (MD and PhD)|
|University of California, San Diego||5 years|
|University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)||4 years|
|University of Pennsylvania||4 years|
|Yale University||5 years|
Salary of MBBS doctor in the USA
The salary of an MBBS doctor in the USA can vary depending on a number of factors, including the doctor’s specialty, location, years of experience, and employer. According to data from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage for all physicians and surgeons in the USA was $208,000 as of May 2019.
Here are the median annual wages for some common medical specialties in the USA, as reported by the BLS:
- Anesthesiology: $267,020
- Pediatrics: $170,560
- Psychiatrist: $220,380
- Radiology: $395,110
- Surgery: $409,665
- Dermatologist: $291000
- Urologist: $342000
- Neurologist: $297000
- Clinical Psychologist: $292000
- Allergist: $187000
Indian students who have completed their MD in the US and wish to practice in India can not only practice in India but also seek employment opportunities in India without having to take the FMGE (Foreign Medical Examination) or NMC screening test.
So definitely it’s a great choice and you must go for it! Do you still have queries? Don’t worry! Talk to our study abroad experts! iDreamCareer aims to reach every state and every child to ensure that talent is properly delivered to the industry.
Talk to our study abroad experts to find out for yourself! We have helped several brilliant but confused minds to choose the most suitable career. We have helped many students like Anjana Prasanna who was not very confident about her abilities. Later, with the help of career guidance and moral support from our study abroad experts, she received an offer from King’s College London! We have helped several young confused minds like Aayush and Tapan to choose the most suitable career for them.
- Study MBBS Abroad
- How-To Guide for Studying MBBS Abroad
- Pursuing a Master’s degree in the USA
- List of MBBS Entrance Exam in India
MBBS In USA: FAQs
Yes, Indian students are eligible to apply to study MBBS in the USA.
The MBBS degree from the USA is recognized in India, as the USA is a member of the World Health Organization (WHO).
The MBBS program in the USA can be expensive for international students, including Indian students. However, there may be scholarships or financial aid available to help cover the costs.
Admission requirements for Indian students to study MBBS in the USA may include passing the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and having a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
It may be possible for Indian students studying MBBS in the USA to do clinical rotations in India as part of their program. This would depend on the specific medical school and program.
Indian students who wish to study MBBS in the USA will need to obtain a student visa, such as the F-1 visa. They will need to provide documentation such as a passport, an acceptance letter from a medical school, and proof of financial support.
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.