Life is like mathematics, to work out your life, you need formulas that suit your uniqueness. The same is true of a career. A well-planned career is instrumental in a happy and satisfied life. Parents, having gone through this process can help their children from making mistakes in selecting a career. They need to be facilitators and not influence their choices. Hence, the role of parents in our life holds a lot of value and importance.
On the one hand, a parents’ experience can help in the career selection process, on the other hand sometimes it might hinder it. Although, parents have gone through this process, however, the times have changed and their children have a very different environment to deal with and sometimes their choices don’t match with today’s reality. This blog talks about the role of parents in career selection and how parents can help in this process.
Changing Role of Parents in Career Selection
Today, parents are more than just an authority figure. They are a friend, philosopher, and guide. With a more dynamic educational environment wherein, the children are taught to be independent and to take decisions on their own, the parent’s role diminishes. Involved parents know their children the best and along with vital information about new career paths and career choices they can facilitate the process of career selection for them.
Therefore as time changes, the role of parents in helping their child decide which career to choose and what career field is good for them is now of significant importance. These days the role of parents in child development has made a career choice and other life decisions a slightly complex process.
As parents want their children to opt for a career they know well about, but what their child wants or aspires to become, can be two completely different things. Thus, the role of parents in education and career selection of their children is of the utmost importance.
Important Factors to be considered by parents
There are a few factors that are of immense importance in the career selection process. It is very essential for the parents to understand and consider these factors while selecting the career option. The role of parents in child development is very crucial and thus there are important factors that a parent must consider before making any final decision. Following are the factors define the importance of role of parents in child development:
- Aptitude: The child’s aptitude is a mirror of his personality, strengths, and weaknesses. Hence, a strategically designed aptitude test can reveal a lot of information regarding the student that can help in taking a well-informed career selection.
- Interest: It is very difficult to spend your life working in a field that you are not interested in. Hence, the parent should look into the interests of their child and consider it while shortlisting career options.
- Availability of the Course: The courses leading towards a desired career should be available easily in the proximity and should not burden the student.
- Informed Decision over Herd Mentality: It is very easy for a child to get swayed by peer pressure into choosing a career that the majority is opting rather than the one which is best for him/her. Sometimes, even the parents get attracted to a career choice that is trending and this ends up hampering the students’ performance. Hence, a parent needs to be informed about all the career choices and chose the ones that are best for their child.
- Scope: Career scope tells us about various fields and professions that are accessible after pursuing a particular course. The larger the scope, the better are the chances of finding the role that suits the child most.
- Remuneration: Even if not the most important, remuneration of career holds importance in one’s life. Nobody likes to earn peanuts. The remuneration should match the child’s aspirations and should enable a satisfied and comfortable life.
To help parents make aware of their role in their child’s development, we have curated a Do’s and Don’ts list. Therefore in order to understand the role of parents in child life, they need to consider the following:
- Evaluate your child’s aptitude, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Help your child in discovering his/her own passion.
- Motivate your Child in pursuing his/her passion.
- Inform your Child regarding all aspects of the career.
- Help the Child understand the work-life in the chosen career by associating with professionals in the field.
- Stop your child from falling prey to peer pressure and herd mentality.
- Gain your Child’s confidence and motivate them to discuss their queries with you.
- Seek professional help whenever required.
- Do not dictate a child’s decision rather guide them towards taking an informed decision.
- Do not burden the child with unreal expectations.
- Don’t be impatient when dealing with children.
- Career scope changes with time; do not try to impose the ideas or views that existed during your days.
- Do not misguide the child into choosing a career of your choice
- Do not answer a child’s query if you are not sure about it. It’s ok to take time, research or seek professional help.
- Do not allow other people (friends, extended family, or relatives) to influence your child in the career selection process.
The role of parents in career selection is crucial for both the parents as well as the students. The stress among children multiplies when they feel the void of guidance. Children feel the need to express and at times parents can’t understand this need, this increases the gap between a parent and the child. Thus parents play a key role in the entire process.
Providing your children with an atmosphere that motivates them to express better and listening with patience is the key to solving this issue. The child may be wrong but as a parent, it’s your responsibility to reason with them rather than getting angry. Children are impulsive by nature. Keeping a track of your child’s changing interests and recommend career options that match their interests. Thus it is important for you as parents to realize your role of parents in your child’s development.
Demotivation might have a negative impact on the child’s mental health and hence rather than rejecting all the ideas of the child, you can work together in gathering information regarding the career choice and then help the child in deciding whether it is suitable or not.
How can iDC help?
- iDC has pioneered a psychometric test that is specifically designed for Indian students. This test helps the parents in understanding the child’s aptitude.
- A scientific analysis of the psychometric assessment helps the parents in guiding the students towards the career choices best suitable for them.
- Parent’s expectations can sometimes make it difficult to clearly understand the child’s aspirations. iDC puts forward a neutral perspective in the career selection process of the child’s.
- iDC provides well-researched information regarding various career options so that the parents can be informed while guiding the children.
To understand it better, the role of parents in child development is vital to a child’s future planning. Therefore, you as parents need to understand your role and its importance in making your child open and aware to various opportunities available for them in whichever career field they choose.
If you are a parent & looking for career guidance for your child, please email us at email@example.com or call at 9555990000.
The iDC Editorial Team brings in a collective work experience of more than 25 years in diverse fields spanning from career counselling, management consulting, engineering, and technology to science, finance, and humanities. The team’s key competencies are in research and analysis of careers, jobs, and industries. The team boasts of a few best-in-class writers on careers and education.