After completing the 12th standard, students are admitted to various courses according to their preferences. They will be transferred to the first year of this course. This is the usual way of enrolling in the course. However, there is another way to enter the course lateral entry. The student will be directly transferred to the second year of the course.
Students who have completed a diploma course and wish to take a graduate course to apply for lateral entry. They have already learned the basics of the diploma. Therefore, attending the first year will not benefit them. They are considered suitable for the second year of the course by the course regulating body.
Do You Know?
Lateral entry is not applicable for all courses. Only a few courses accept a lateral entry. Generally, graduate courses with a corresponding diploma course allow lateral entry like B. Tech, B. Pharma, etc. So, you move on to the second year of these courses.
What all is covered in this post?
To make it easier for you, we have created a quick guide to everything you need to know about lateral entry.
What is lateral entry?
After completing 12th grade, students enroll in several courses depending on their aptitude. They will transfer to the first year of the course. This is how students are often accepted to the course. However, there is another method of gaining entry to the course known as lateral entry. The second year of the course will be immediately promoted the student. This is available for students who have completed their degree program and wish to enter the graduate program. The basics of the diploma have been previously discussed. As a result, they do not benefit from attending the first year. They are considered qualified for the second year of the course by the course governing body.
Not all courses allow lateral entry. A small number of courses allow lateral entry. In general, lateral entry is permitted in graduate courses that offer an equivalent diploma course. like B. Tech or B. Pharma. Therefore, the second year of these courses will be added to your schedule.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Advantage of lateral entry
Students who have completed a diploma course are familiar with the basic concepts of the relevant degree. So, they don’t need to study in the first year which mostly consists of the basics of the course. Also, they have spent 3 years in their degree after the 10th, so an extra year will waste their valuable time.
There are several advantages of pursuing a course with lateral entry. Some of the benefits are listed below:
- The first advantage is that students directly transfer to the second year of that particular course. They do not need to qualify for the first year, which tests basic knowledge of the subject.
- The eligibility criteria for lateral entry are different from that of regular admission. Sometimes you don’t need to qualify for the entrance exam.
- Since you have transferred to the second year, you do not need to pay for the first year. This helps save your money.
- If you enter through lateral entry, you already have a degree. This is an additional qualification that will help you in your career. Also, you have a basic knowledge of the subjects in graduation.
How to get lateral entry in Btech?
Below is a list of eligibility requirements in Btech:
- Candidate must have completed 10+2 or intermediate level coursework with at least 50 percent marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as major subjects.
- To develop their knowledge and skills, diploma holders in the same Civil Engineering program ([Lateral Entry) can also enroll in the program.
- The program is also open to working professionals who have completed their degrees or who have started working immediately after completing their 10+2.
List of Engineering Entrance Exams for Lateral Entry
Following is the list of entrance exams for lateral entry into Btech:
- All India SLIET Entrance Test (SET)
- Delhi Technological University Lateral Entry Engineering Test (DTU LEET)
- Diploma Common Entrance Test (DCET)
- DTE Kerala LET
- Haryana LEET
- Himachal Pradesh Lateral Entry Entrance Test (HP LEET)
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU CET)
- Joint Entrance Examination for Lateral Entry (JELET)
- Joint Lateral Entrance Examination (JLEE)
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Examination (KIITEE)
- Odisha Joint Entrance Exam (OJEE)
- Panjab University Lateral Engineering Entrance Test (PULEET)
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE)
- Uttarakhand State Entrance Exam (UKSEE)
Top Btech lateral entry colleges
Here is the list of top colleges that offer lateral entry into Btech:
- Bon Maharaj Engineering College, Mathura
- KP Group of Institution, Agra
- Krishna Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- LDC Institute of Technical Studies, Allahabad
- Pranveer Singh Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Raja Balwant Singh Engineering Technical Campus, Agra
- Sagar Institute of Technology and Management, Lucknow
- Shanti Institute of Technology, Meerut
- Sir Chhotu Ram of Engineering and Technology, Meerut
- Vindhya Institute of Technology and Science, Allahabad
Lateral entry admission process
Bachelor of Technology the lateral entry procedure is simple and transparent. Here is the admission process:
- One can apply for admission after completing a three-year degree program in the same field.
- Each university has its own admission rules, which the universities strictly follow.
- The merit list and entrance exam results form the basis for the admission process.
- According to the results of the entrance exams at the state level, students are admitted to several state institutions.
- Students are admitted on the basis of merit, which is established.
- The reputed universities have their own entrance test process for admission to B.Tech.
Lateral entry counselling 2023
A written or computer-based entrance examination is the most commonly accepted selection procedure for granting admission to the BTech Lateral Entry route. Based on the results of the entrance examination, the college/university compiles a merit list of selected candidates, after which they are called for counselling. Due to the limited number of places available, the selection process is fiercely competitive. Hence, students are advised to start their preparation as early as possible.
We hope that this post on lateral entry has helped you in having understood it. If you still have questions seek expert opinions from unbiased counselors. We at iDreamCareer always believe in helping young minds discover their true mettle. We try to help young confused minds from 9th class, 10th class, class 11, class 12 with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
- Top Engineering Colleges – India, 2021
- Complete Lists of Engineering Courses after 12th– All Disciplines (+Top Colleges & Recruiters)
- Future of engineering technology – American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Know all about Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering 2020
- Top Engineering Entrance Exams – India
- Psychometric Test for Students
- Polytechnic Courses in India?
After completing 12th grade, students enroll in several courses depending on their aptitude. They will transfer to the first year of the course. This is how students are often accepted to the course. However, there is another method of gaining entry to the course known as lateral entry. The second year of the course will be immediately promoted to the student. Lateral entry is available for students who have completed their degree program and wish to enter the graduate program. The basics of the diploma have been previously discussed. As a result, they do not benefit from attending the first year. They are considered qualified for the second year of the course by the course governing body.
Lateral entry is a method of entering college by which a student can directly enter a second-year college/university, provided they have completed a diploma course or a Bachelor of Science degree. Already having a basic knowledge of the graduate course, diploma students do not necessarily have to study in the first year of college, so they are directly considered suitable to guide the graduate courses in the second year.
The cut-off marks are calculated by converting the mathematics marks to 100, chemistry marks to 50, and physics marks to 50 and adding them. The total number of points will be 200 maximum.
B. Tech lateral entry is a course in which a graduate or a B. Sc student can enter directly into the second year or third semester of an engineering course. The admission process varies from college to college. When it comes to B. Tech admissions, some colleges conduct entrance tests before admission. While some colleges conduct direct admission of students. They consider the percentage obtained in Diploma / B.Sc.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- April 23, 20236 Comments|
- August 27, 202250 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 27, 202054 Comments|
- April 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.