Class 10th is undoubtedly the first academic milestone a student needs to go through. Needless to say after passing class 10th every student must have a few questions haunting them. Some of these questions are: “What after 10th?”; “Which stream is the best after 10th?”; “What are the various courses after 10th?”; and most importantly, “Which stream and subjects to choose in 11th and 12th?”
Are you stuck with these questions too? Well, don’t worry, you have landed at the right place. Here in this article we shall provide unbiased answers to all of your questions.
However, before we learn about all the exciting and futuristic courses after 10th, let’s look at how we can make the right career choice. Well, it is common among students to get misinformed and end up making the wrong decisions. So, how can we fix this? The one stop solution to all these dilemmas is “Career Guidance”.
Why career counseling after the 10th?
While choosing a career may be a cakewalk for some students, it can be really difficult for others. For example, students who need guidance in career choices may have the following questions or doubts:
Well, there is a wide variety of options to choose from when we talk about possible courses after the 10th. However, you just cannot choose any course without even analysing, right? So, instead of going after popular mainstream choices, it is best to enhance your knowledge about the latest careers and make a well-informed decision. Here’s where you need career guidance. A career counselor will help you know yourself better so that you can make the right choice.
- How to select the perfect Board?
This is something we must not ignore. Students often make choices in a rush and end up regretting. You must know the recent trends, future prospects, curriculum and the academic methods of each board. Therefore, it is no harm to explore the options which are available to you. You can always change your board of education based on your needs. So, take advice from your teachers or counsellors without a doubt.
Moreover, every student has a unique set of skills, strengths, and weaknesses. Your decisions should revolve around your aptitude, personality and interest. Therefore, career counseling after 10th will let you explore your potential and help you make the right career choice. Also, you’ll stay ahead of the competition.
Click this link to explore Career Counselling in Delhi
Top Courses after 10th class: which stream and subjects to choose in 11th and 12th class?
Now that we have discussed the need for career counselling after Class 10th, we shall now understand the scope of the major streams of higher classes, i.e Science, Arts or Humanities and Commerce. It is important to understand whether the scopes of these subjects tally with your aspirations or not.
All these streams lead to different career opportunities and knowing the basics are significant in the decision making process.So, let’s take a look at the major streams of studies in class 11th and 12th:
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Science stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling for class 11th and 12th, you can have several subjects to choose from:
- Physical Science Subjects – Physics, Chemistry
- Biological Science Subjects – Biology, Biotechnology, Agriculture, Food Science, Sports, Exercise & Health Science, etc.
- Mathematical Science Subjects – Mathematics, Statistics
- Other Science Subjects – Computer Science, Marine Science, Engineering Graphics, Informatics Practice, Electricity & Electronics, Engineering Science, Environmental Science, Geometrical & Building Drawing, Geometrical & Mechanical Drawing, Design Technology, Environmental Management, Home Science, etc.
- Social Science Subjects – Economics
If you want you can opt to keep a Career-oriented subject like – Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Multimedia & Web Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc.
Arts and Humanities stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling, you can have several subjects to choose from:
- Elective Indian Languages like Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Assamese, Urdu, Kashmiri, Manipuri, Mizo, Sanskrit, Nepali, Bodo, etc.
- Elective Foreign Languages like English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Korean, Persian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc.
- Arts and humanities subjects like – Psychology, Economics, Geography, Sociology, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Global Politics, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Home Science, etc.
- Career-oriented subjects like – Computer Studies, Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Multimedia & Web Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc.
- Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science – some boards let you keep a Science subject along with other arts and humanities subjects
- Fine art and performing art subjects like – Fine Art, Visual Art, Dance, Music, Film, Theatre, Carnatic Music, Hindustani Music, Western Music, etc.
- Subject on religion like – Hinduism, Divinity, Islamic Study, etc.
Commerce / Business stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, commerce or business stream in class 11th and 12th offer several courses to choose from, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling:
- Commerce and Business subjects like – Accountancy, Business Studies, Commerce, Economics, Economic Geography, Secretarial Practice, Entrepreneurship, etc.
- Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science – some boards let you keep a Science subject along with other commerce subjects.
- Career-oriented subjects like – you may keep a subject like Computer Studies, Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc. along with your other Commerce and Business subjects.
Vocational stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, several boards offer vocational streams in class 11th and 12th to help you prepare for a job immediately after the completion of class 12th. You can choose two or more vocational subjects along with compulsory languages. Depending upon in which board you are enrolling into, your vocational subject choices could be:
- Accountancy and Taxation
- Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
- Auto Shop Repair and Practice
- Banking and Insurance
- Beauty and Wellness
- Business Administration
- Business Operations and Administration
- Capital Market Operations
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Computer Theory & System Analyst
- Construction Technology
- Cost Accounting Creche and Pre-school Management
- Database Management Applications
- Design and Innovation
- Electrical Appliances
- Electrical Machines
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Environment Education
- Exterior & Interior Design
- Fashion Design and Garment Technology
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Market Management
- Food and Beverage Services
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food Production
- Front Office Operations
- Garment Construction
- Geospatial Technology
- Graphic Design Technician
- Health and Beauty Studies
- Healthcare Science
- Hospitality Management
- Information Technology Insurance
- IT Application
- Library and Information Science
- Logistics Operations and Supply Chain Management
- MarketingMarketing and Salesmanship
- Mass Media Studies and Production
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Medical Diagnostics
- Music Production
- Office Procedures and Practice
- Office Secretaryship
- Offset Printing Technician
- Operations and Maintenance of Communication Devices
- Retail Operations
- Stenography and Computer Application
- Telecommunication & Electronic Technician
- Textile Design
- Transport Systems and Logistics Management
- Travel and Tourism
- Troubleshooting and Maintenance of Electronic Equipment
- Typography and Computer Application
- Web Applications
- X-Ray Technician
Top Courses after 10th class: Vocational Education Options
Do you want to leave school and instead opt for vocational training? Are you looking for career options after 10th? Read about after 10th courses list below and understand which ones could be the right for you:
Top 20 Polytechnic Diploma Courses after 10th in Engineering and Technical Fields
If you have studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10, then you can sit for the polytechnic entrance examination in your state and secure a seat in a polytechnic. After a polytechnic diploma (3-year duration), you can get a job or you can opt for lateral entry into a 4-year B.E./B.Tech. course in Engineering (you can get admission to the 2nd year). Diplomas in these are considered the best course after the 10th.
The top 20 polytechnic diploma courses after 10th are:
- Computer Engineering
- Cyber Forensics & Information Security
- Digital Electronics
- Applied Electronics & Instrumentation
- Electrical & Electronics
- Biomedical Electronics
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Electronics
- Power Electronics
- 3-D Animation & Graphics
- Apparel Design & Fashion Technology
- Chemical Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Civil Engineering (Environmental)
- Food Processing
- Water Technology
Top 10 ITI Certificate Courses after 10th (technical)
If you have studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10, then you can enroll for an ITI Trade course in any of the following technical trades and obtain a certificate (2-year duration). ITI Certificate course is considered the best course after the 10th.
Top 10 of these are as follows:
- Computer Hardware & Network Maintenance
- Draughtsman (Civil)
- Electronic Mechanic
- Mechanic (Refrigeration and Air-Conditioner)
- Mechanic (Auto Electricals & Electronics)
- Mechanic (Mechatronics)
- Mechanic (Medical Electronics)
- Radiology Technician
Top 12 ITI Certificate Courses after 10th (non-technical)
If you have not studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10 or studied any subjects, then you can enroll for an ITI Trade courses in any of the following non-technical trades and obtain a certificate (1-2 year duration):
- Baker & Confectioner
- Computer Operator & Programming Assistant
- Food & Beverage Services
- Food Production
- Hair & Skin Care
- Multimedia, Animation, Special Effects
- Travel Tour Assistant
- Old Age Care
- Spa Therapy
Top 6 Diploma Courses after 10th in Vocational Training
Instead of opting for a polytechnic diploma or an ITI certificate course, you may also opt for a 3-year D.Voc. (Diploma in Vocation) course under the NSQF (National Skill Qualification Framework) training program. A degree in vocational training is considered to be the best course after the 10th. The top 6 of these are:
- Software Development
- Graphics & Multimedia
- Travel & Tourism
- Refrigeration & Air-Conditioning
- Medical Imaging
Top 10 Skill Training Programs and courses after 10th
After 10th, you may also opt for a skill training program in a community college and NSDC approved training centre for career options after 10th. Some of the options are:
- Beauty Therapist
- Food processing
- Gems & Jewellery
- Mobile Phone Technician
- Organic Grower
- Sales Executive
- Software Development
- Solar Photovoltaic System Installer
Courses after 10th: Conclusion
Choosing a good course from the above list of courses after 10th can be intimidating. Remember the solution we came up within the beginning of this article? Well, it is time to take a call and make the right career choice. Find out how career guidance and expert career planners can help you make selecting courses after 10th class easy for you.
Seek Career Related Services from Professionals at iDreamCareer
- Student’s Guide: Courses After 12th Class
- Beyond Numbers: Scope of Mathematics
- Importance of Psychometric Test for Students
- How can schools allocate streams when 10th board exams are canceled?
- “School Board Toppers Realise The Need of Career Guidance Later in Life” – Indian Express 2020 Study Reveals
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard.
This will help us share relevant information with you.
March 27, 202050 Comments|
March 27, 202026 Comments|
March 30, 20208 Comments|
March 30, 202012 Comments|
January 19, 20220 Comments|
Shruti Verma is currently leading the Product Marketing team; building & executing marketing strategies, channelling product launches & setting up brand positioning.