What after 10th? What are the courses after 10th? What to do after 10th? Which stream and subjects to choose in 11th and 12th?
Are you stuck with these questions?
Many of you must have already chosen the stream and subjects which you are going to study in the 11th and 12th. But there could be many who haven’t.
It is okay if you have finalized a stream and combination subjects to study in class 11 and 12. It is okay if you have already decided upon a career pathway. But it is also okay if you haven’t done all this thinking yet.
Here’s why it is okay!
By not finalizing what to do and which courses after the 10th should be considered, you have unlocked the door to exciting career opportunities.
There are so many courses after 10th that could land you in your dream job. But how would you decide which one is the right course for you? This dilemma could make you go crazy! But hey, before we learn about all the exciting and futuristic courses after 10th, let’s look at how we can make the right career choice.
After 10th class, you have a great chance to follow and prepare for your dreams in the right direction. There are many exciting careers which you can pursue. Whether you are a high or an average scorer, choosing the right career is the topmost priority.
Anyone can find it difficult to decide which career path to follow. Is it not worth knowing what the future holds and taking proper career guidance? What could be the worst-case scenario? Well, you could end up in a career that is not right for you.
It is common among students to get misinformed and end up making the wrong decisions. So, how can we fix this?
Completing class 10th is a big feat, but the challenge doesn’t end right there. Students are stuck on questions like- what after 10th and what career options after 10th they can look for. They need to choose which path to follow after 10th; which stream to choose; or should they look for diploma or certification courses after 10th class? While the confusion for the same persists, one-stop-solution to end all the career-related confusion is to go for unbiased career guidance after the 10th.
Why career guidance after the 10th?
Because taking an informed decision about which subjects or courses after 10th could make or break decisions for you.
While choosing a career may be a cakewalk for some students, it can be difficult for some. Students who need guidance in career choices may have the following questions or doubts:
How to make the right choice?
One of the common questions that cloud the minds of many parents as well as many students is – what are the options available after the 10th? If we go back a decade or two, when your parents were in your place, all they had to choose was between mathematics and biology.
This is not the case anymore as you will get to know more about after the 10th-course list mentioned in detail in this article. There are several options after 10th which could lead to many new and futuristic career choices. Awareness and knowledge about these new careers can be a deal maker. The main question is how to make the right choice? Proper career guidance makes you aware of all the options and helps you make the right choice in career selection.
What to choose?
There is a wide variety of options to choose from when thinking about possible courses after the 10th. But you cannot choose just about ANY course, right? So, instead of going after popular mainstream choices, it is best to enhance your knowledge about the latest careers and make a well-informed decision. Read about the after 10th courses list mentioned below and choose the right for you.
How to select Board?
After 10th, you can either study in the same school board or you can opt for a different board. Changing the board/looking for the right education board to achieve your goals requires expertise. Thus, consider asking or taking advice from your teachers or counsellors.
Click this link to explore Career Counselling in Delhi
Why make a choice?
As students are bombarded with endless options, it is always a good idea to make them aware of their own capabilities and strengths. This is most important for students who are stuck on what to do after 10th. Thus, before making any choice, awareness about the courses after 10th becomes crucial.
Therefore, to choose the right courses after 10th, right career counseling at the right time may let you explore your potential and help you make the right career choice.
Every student has a unique set of skills, strengths, and weaknesses and hence it is very important to choose from the top courses after 10th class. But before choosing what is best, do you know about the scope and opportunities available after each subject or stream?
Top Courses after 10th class: which stream and subjects to choose in 11th and 12th class?
The choices are many if you happen to think about the courses after 10th class. But what is important to understand is whether the scopes of these subjects tally with your aspirations or not. Before we go on to discuss what the various career options are after the 10th, let’s first understand the scope of the main streams in higher classes.
Take a look at the major streams of studies in class 11th and 12th. All these streams lead to different career opportunities and knowing the basics are significant in the decision making process. Let’s get the basic understanding of each of these streams:
Science stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling for class 11th and 12th, you can have several subjects to choose from:
- Physical Science Subjects – Physics, Chemistry
- Biological Science Subjects – Biology, Biotechnology, Agriculture, Food Science, Sports, Exercise & Health Science, etc.
- Mathematical Science Subjects – Mathematics, Statistics
- Other Science Subjects – Computer Science, Marine Science, Engineering Graphics, Informatics Practice, Electricity & Electronics, Engineering Science, Environmental Science, Geometrical & Building Drawing, Geometrical & Mechanical Drawing, Design Technology, Environmental Management, Home Science, etc.
- Social Science Subjects – Economics
If you want you can opt to keep a Career-oriented subject like – Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Multimedia & Web Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc.
Arts and Humanities stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling, you can have several subjects to choose from:
- Elective Indian Languages like Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Assamese, Urdu, Kashmiri, Manipuri, Mizo, Sanskrit, Nepali, Bodo, etc.
- Elective Foreign Languages like English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Korean, Persian, Arabic, Portuguese, etc.
- Arts and humanities subjects like – Psychology, Economics, Geography, Sociology, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Global Politics, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Home Science, etc.
- Career-oriented subjects like – Computer Studies, Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Multimedia & Web Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc.
- Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science – some boards let you keep a Science subject along with other arts and humanities subjects
- Fine art and performing art subjects like – Fine Art, Visual Art, Dance, Music, Film, Theatre, Carnatic Music, Hindustani Music, Western Music, etc.
- Subject on religion like – Hinduism, Divinity, Islamic Study, etc.
Commerce / Business stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, commerce or business stream in class 11th and 12th offer several courses to choose from, depending upon under which school board you are enrolling:
- Commerce and Business subjects like – Accountancy, Business Studies, Commerce, Economics, Economic Geography, Secretarial Practice, Entrepreneurship, etc.
- Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science – some boards let you keep a Science subject along with other commerce subjects.
- Career-oriented subjects like – you may keep a subject like Computer Studies, Information Technology, Information & Communication Technology, Fashion Studies/ Fashion Design, Media Studies, Travel & Tourism, etc. along with your other Commerce and Business subjects.
Vocational stream in 11th and 12th class
After 10th, several boards offer vocational streams in class 11th and 12th to help you prepare for a job immediately after the completion of class 12th. You can choose two or more vocational subjects along with compulsory languages. Depending upon in which board you are enrolling into, your vocational subject choices could be:
- Accountancy and Taxation
- Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
- Auto Shop Repair and Practice
- Banking and Insurance
- Beauty and Wellness
- Business Administration
- Business Operations and Administration
- Capital Market Operations
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Clinical Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Computer Theory & System Analyst
- Construction Technology
- Cost Accounting Creche and Pre-school Management
- Database Management Applications
- Design and Innovation
- Electrical Appliances
- Electrical Machines
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Environment Education
- Exterior & Interior Design
- Fashion Design and Garment Technology
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Market Management
- Food and Beverage Services
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food Production
- Front Office Operations
- Garment Construction
- Geospatial Technology
- Graphic Design Technician
- Health and Beauty Studies
- Healthcare Science
- Hospitality Management
- Information Technology Insurance
- IT Application
- Library and Information Science
- Logistics Operations and Supply Chain Management
- MarketingMarketing and Salesmanship
- Mass Media Studies and Production
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Medical Diagnostics
- Music Production
- Office Procedures and Practice
- Office Secretaryship
- Offset Printing Technician
- Operations and Maintenance of Communication Devices
- Retail Operations
- Stenography and Computer Application
- Telecommunication & Electronic Technician
- Textile Design
- Transport Systems and Logistics Management
- Travel and Tourism
- Troubleshooting and Maintenance of Electronic Equipment
- Typography and Computer Application
- Web Applications
- X-Ray Technician
Top Courses after 10th class: Vocational Education Options
Do you want to leave school and instead opt for vocational training? Are you looking for career options after 10th? Read about after 10th courses list below and understand which ones could be the right for you:
Top 20 Polytechnic Diploma Courses in Engineering and Technical Fields
If you have studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10, then you can sit for the polytechnic entrance examination in your state and secure a seat in a polytechnic. After a polytechnic diploma (3-year duration), you can get a job or you can opt for lateral entry into a 4-year B.E./B.Tech. course in Engineering (you can get admission to the 2nd year). Diplomas in these are considered the best course after the 10th.
The top 20 polytechnic diploma courses are:
- Computer Engineering
- Cyber Forensics & Information Security
- Digital Electronics
- Applied Electronics & Instrumentation
- Electrical & Electronics
- Biomedical Electronics
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Electronics
- Power Electronics
- 3-D Animation & Graphics
- Apparel Design & Fashion Technology
- Chemical Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Civil Engineering (Environmental)
- Food Processing
- Water Technology
Top 10 ITI Certificate Courses (technical)
If you have studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10, then you can enroll for an ITI Trade course in any of the following technical trades and obtain a certificate (2-year duration). ITI Certificate course is considered the best course after the 10th.
Top 10 of these are as follows:
- Computer Hardware & Network Maintenance
- Draughtsman (Civil)
- Electronic Mechanic
- Mechanic (Refrigeration and Air-Conditioner)
- Mechanic (Auto Electricals & Electronics)
- Mechanic (Mechatronics)
- Mechanic (Medical Electronics)
- Radiology Technician
Top 12 ITI Certificate Courses (non-technical)
If you have not studied Science and Mathematics in class 9 and 10 or studied any subjects, then you can enroll for an ITI Trade courses in any of the following non-technical trades and obtain a certificate (1-2 year duration):
- Baker & Confectioner
- Computer Operator & Programming Assistant
- Food & Beverage Services
- Food Production
- Hair & Skin Care
- Multimedia, Animation, Special Effects
- Travel Tour Assistant
- Old Age Care
- Spa Therapy
Top 6 Diploma Courses in Vocational Training
Instead of opting for a polytechnic diploma or an ITI certificate course, you may also opt for a 3-year D.Voc. (Diploma in Vocation) course under the NSQF (National Skill Qualification Framework) training program. A degree in vocational training is considered to be the best course after the 10th. The top 6 of these are:
- Software Development
- Graphics & Multimedia
- Travel & Tourism
- Refrigeration & Air-Conditioning
- Medical Imaging
Top 10 Skill Training Programs and courses after 10th
After 10th, you may also opt for a skill training program in a community college and NSDC approved training centre for career options after 10th. Some of the options are:
- Beauty Therapist
- Food processing
- Gems & Jewellery
- Mobile Phone Technician
- Organic Grower
- Sales Executive
- Software Development
- Solar Photovoltaic System Installer
Choosing a good course from the above list of courses after 10th can be intimidating. Remember the solution we came up within the beginning of this article? Well, it is time to take a call and make the right career choice. Find out how career guidance and expert career planners can help you make selecting courses after 10th class easy for you.
Seek Career Related Services from Professionals at iDreamCareer
- Student’s Guide: Courses After 12th Class
- Beyond Numbers: Scope of Mathematics
- Importance of Psychometric Test for Students
- How can schools allocate streams when 10th board exams are canceled?
- “School Board Toppers Realise The Need of Career Guidance Later in Life” – Indian Express 2020 Study Reveals
Shruti Verma is a researcher and analyst in the areas of careers, industries, and education. She has completed her Masters in English Literature and is an alumnus of Delhi University and IP University. She interned during her masters at iDreamCareer and later joined iDC full-time as a Content Analyst. She is determined to secure an expert position in content space with the guidance of experienced mentors within the iDC team.