Interior designing interests you, well? Let’s start out with someone you may’ve heard of!
She started out small with her big dreams. Today her interior designing skills have earned her accolades. Gupta is the brain behind some of the offbeat interiors and most prestigious projects across India. She has worked with you-know-whos including Kangana Ranaut, Irrfan Khan and Parineeti Chopra.
Luxury interior designing specialists earn in tens of lakhs a month!
Do you doodle on your walls too? Can you smell or taste colours? That’s called synesthesia! Do you have your own way of looking at things around you, like your own personal philosophy?
You must have heard of cultural design philosophies like Feng Shui from China, or closer home, Vastu Shastra from India. Have you also read about Shibusa from Japan, Blessings from Ireland, Raid from Morocco, Hygge from Scandinavia? Do these concepts interest you too?
Then, let’s get talking!
As an Interior Designer, you will be visualizing, creating, and implementing designs to interior areas of residencies / homes, restaurants, malls, stand-out individual spaces, luxury trains, stores, institutes, palaces, planes, hotels, boats, showrooms, buses, by specifically arranging particular elements like wood, water, metal, plants, glass, fabric, fire etc. i.e. how and where to place wooden furniture, metal objects, fireplace, water containers, upholstery (curtains, bed sheets) etc.
How can you start a career in Interior Designing?
There’s no hard and fast rule for this, though.
Take for example, Lipika Sud, a design strategist, a trend analyst and the Founder Director of Lipika Sud Interiors Pvt. Ltd., is one of India’s leading in this area.
If you would like to know, as a matter of fact, Lipika Sud (and many others too, silly!) had initially chosen mainstream education in a discipline way out of the league of interior designing. Lipika particularly had chosen to pursue Law from Delhi University. She is also a post graduate from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
Building a career in interior designing has basically been an entrepreneurial exercise, for most.
However, if you still ask, let’s focus on 4 basic ways to get there.
- After Class 11-12, B. Des / B. A. /B. Voc in ‘Interior Design’, ‘Interior Styling’, ‘Interior Decoration’, ‘Interior Design and Architecture’, ‘Interior Design and Entrepreneurship’, ‘Furniture and Interior Design’, ‘Interior Architecture’, ‘Interior Decoration and Designing’, ‘Interior Design & Decoration’ or similar courses
- After Class 11-12, B. Des./ B. A. / B. Voc. – M. Des. / M. A. / M. Voc
- After Class 11-12, Bachelor degree in any discipline – Diploma / Certificate / Orientation / PG Dip Courses
- Class 10 with any subjects – Class 11-12 in any stream – Bachelor degree in any discipline – Master degree in any discipline – Diploma / Certificate / Orientation Courses for ‘Interior Design and Entrepreneurship’, ‘Furniture and Interior Design’, ‘Interior Architecture’, ‘Interior Decoration and Designing’, ‘Feng Shui’, ‘Vastu Shastra’, ‘Irish Blessings’, ‘Raid’, ‘Hygge’, ‘Shibusa’ etc.
Courses in Interior Designing
After Class 11-12, you can go for:
- Diploma / Certificate / Orientation courses.
- Bachelor degree courses.
After your graduation, you can go for a Post Graduate Diploma or Master level program.
Various private / public educational establishments offer these or related courses:
- Furniture and Interior Design
- Interior Architecture
- Interior Decoration and Designing
- Interior Design & Decoration
Colleges in India that you can target for Interior Designing
All colleges for interior designing in India have their own entrance exams/aptitude tests. It’s necessary for you to be good at drawing/sketching and build a good portfolio while in college!
|Name of College||Location|
|National Institute of Design, NID||Ahmedabad, Delhi|
|Pearl Academy||Noida, Mumbai|
|Sir JJ School of Art||Mumbai|
|Arch Academy of Design||Jaipur|
|Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology||Bangalore|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Mumbai|
|Sai School of Interior Design||New Delhi|
|IILM School of Design||Gurgaon|
|College of Architecture||Nashik|
Interior Designing Jobs
You will find jobs with individual design studios or various companies dealing with real estate, travel and tourism, construction etc. working on projects that involves designing residencies / homes, restaurants, malls, stand-out individual spaces, stores, institutes, luxury trains, buses, showrooms, hotels, palaces, planes, boats in the following or similar roles:
- Junior Interior Designer
- Interior Design – Intern
- Assistant Interior Designer
- Interior Design Apprentice
- Associate Interior Decoration Architect
- 3D Interior Design Artist
- Interior Layout Design Specialist
You may also build your own design studio or consultancy to provide personal services related to the field of Interior Designing.
Interior Designing is both an art and science. If you know you’re built for a career in interior designing, you must already go looking for it. Here’s an interesting research. However, career planning becomes an intense affair if you’re not aware of the many things you have in you. iDC is the foremost in this field and helping millions show the true colour their mettle, in India and abroad.
Currently associated with iDreamCareer’s (India) in-house Research & Data Team. She holds a Masters in Biophysics-Biostatistics and was previously engaged in computational prediction proteomics before switching to full-time Industry Research at iDC.