Today number of board options are available which is why the question comes into place where you should take admission? How many education boards are there in India? Is the IB board good? Will the IB board help in fulfilling your dream of studying abroad?
Many of you must have such questions in your head. In India, students and parents must choose the right education board. The type of exposure provided, the curriculum to be followed, and the applicability of the curriculum on each education board. All these play a critical role in the career as well as personality development.
What to know?
The IB Board works with governments and non-governmental organizations around the world. It has consultative status as a non-governmental organization (NGO) recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). In addition, the IB has cooperative relations with the Council of Europe and the International Organization of La Francophonie (OIF). The United States has the largest number of IB programs (2,010 out of 5,586) offered in private and public schools.
Yes! This means if you study at IB board, chances are much higher that you will have global exposure! Come along to find out more.
What all is covered in this post?
To make it easier for you, we have created a quick guide to everything you need to know about the IB board.
Interested? Want to know more… Continue reading!
IB board full form
The full form of the board is International Baccalaureate.
What is IB board?
IB provides world-class education and provides its students with practical, lifelong learning experiences. The IB is governed by an elected Board of Governors, which selects and appoints the CEO, sets the organization’s strategy, sets policies, oversees financial management, and ensures the integrity and autonomy of student assessments. It further-
- Offers a student-centered approach to learning.
- Provides continuing education for children aged 3 to 19 years.
- Focuses on the comprehensive development of students.
- Provides a reliable and consistent basis for development.
- Adds a flexible environment and curriculum that is designed to address and educate students according to their culture and context.
- Prepares them to face everyday challenges with an open and optimistic mind.
IB board syllabus/curriculum
The IB Board offers four different programmes, namely the Primary School Program (PYP), the Middle School Program (MYP), the Diploma Program (DP), and the Career Development Program (CP). The main examinations administered annually by the IB Board for the Bachelor’s degree are the Diploma Program and the Career Development Program. The exams are usually held in two sessions, one in November and the other in May.
Difference between IB and IGCSE board
Following are the key pointers to determine the difference between the 2 boards:
- The International Baccalaureate (IB) and the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) are two international school education programs. The IGCSE is also an examination body.
- The IGCSE is controlled by a division of the University of Cambridge, while the IB is an educational foundation headquarters in Geneva.
- The IB prescribes an educational structure, while Cambridge offers a designed curriculum.
- The IB program must be implemented by school administrators and teachers who are well-versed in the IB framework and have a strong understanding of the curriculum requirements focused on the target skills in each subject.
- IGCSE provides curriculum guidelines, while the IB gives the schools that host its program the freedom to design and implement the curriculum. The curriculum developed by the schools must meet the assessment criteria prescribed by the IB, including scientific knowledge, communication, scientific inquiry, scientific relations, etc.
What is the difference between ICSE and IB board?
Below are the important points that distinguish the 2 main boards in the Indian domain:
Number of schools
CBSE is undoubtedly the most popular board in India with more than 16,000 schools from 25 countries. On the other hand, the IB curriculum is offered by 141 schools in India, with the IBDP (IB Diploma Program) offered in about 118 of them.
Focus and Approach
CBSE was more traditional in its approach, placing more emphasis on the acquisition of knowledge, especially in mathematics and science. Its curriculum is more or less focused on preparing students for entrance exams in engineering and medicine, which leads to a departure from the importance of languages. There is also not too much emphasis on extracurricular activities and students are encouraged to focus on their studies and exams.
On the other hand, the IB board curriculum is broader in its approach and gives equal weight to all areas – humanities, sciences, mathematics, and languages. Their approach is also broader, emphasizing the importance of well-rounded development rather than simply focusing on knowledge acquisition and examinations.
CBSE – It presents students with pre-determined combinations of subjects grouped under different ‘streams’. The subject combinations are therefore narrow and relate only to a specific field, such as science, commerce, or humanities. The only flexibility is in the choice of the 5th subject. For example, a student opting for the commerce stream will have to study the following compulsory subjects: Economics, Accounting, Business Studies, and English. However, he/she can choose from various options such as physical education, mathematics, informational practices, etc. for the 5th subject.
IB– It offers in-depth knowledge and experience in subjects of students’ choice. Students are offered 6 different subject groups where they have to choose one from each, which allows for a lot of flexibility. In addition, there are three compulsory subjects that form the core of the DP: Creativity Action Service (CAS), Extended Essay (EE), and Theory of Knowledge (TOK).
CBSE evaluates students based on their ability to memorize and retain concepts and learning. On the other hand, IB emphasizes understanding, skill development, knowledge, and its application.
Do you know?
The IB offers programs in 159 countries and has 5,400 IB World schools around the world. It offers educational programs to more than 1.95 million students worldwide, currently offering 7,400 programs. The board is renowned worldwide for excellence.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Top 10 IB board schools in India
Now you know all the key points related to IB board. The next step is to choose the right school. Here is the list of best schools in India:
- Ahmedabad International School, Ahmedabad — Day School offering PYP
- American Embassy School, Delhi — Day school offering DP
- American School of Bombay, Mumbai — Day school offering PYP, MYP & DP
- Canadian International School, Bangalore — Mixed (Boarding & Day) school offering DP
- Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Mumbai — Day school offering DP
- Ecole Mondiale World School, Mumbai — Day school offering DP
- Mahatma Gandhi International School, Ahmedabad — Day school offering MY
- Mercedes-Benz International School, Pune — Day school offering PYP & MYP
- Oakridge International School, Hyderabad — Day school offering PYP
- Pathways World School, Gurgaon — Boarding school offering PYP & DP
We hope that this post on IB board has helped you in understanding deeply about the board. If you still have questions seek expert opinion from unbiased counselors. We at iDreamCareer always believe in helping young minds discover their true mettle. We try to help young confused minds from 9th class, 10th class, class 11, class 12 with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
- Subject Combinations for 10th – What Is It, All Board Options and More
- Cracking for Your Board Exam – Updates, Tips, Common Goofs & Strategy
- IB Board – Official website
Yes, since it has a wider range of subjects that lead to well-rounded development. While most Indian students do very well in foreign universities, IB students stand a better chance and achieve better results through an enriched portfolio, critical thinking skills, and research-based learning.
IB is considered to be the best board compared to CBSE outside India. Even a few universities in India like Ashoka University also give more weightage to IB board. But it is impossible to calculate the exact percentage.
Yes, it is difficult. But not because it is impossible to do, but simply because there is a lot to do in a limited amount of time.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
Watch Out for These Coolest High Paying Arts Stream JobsApril 23, 20236 Comments|
Importance of Co-Curricular Activities for StudentsAugust 27, 202250 Comments|
13 Best Jobs for Women in the 21st CenturyMarch 30, 20209 Comments|
Holistic development for Students: Meaning & ImportanceMarch 27, 202054 Comments|
Top Medical Courses Without NEETApril 10, 202369 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.