BMS course or Bachelor of Management Studies is an undergraduate program for management studies.
Come along, let us have a look at the details.
What is BMS course?
This course teaches the knowledge and skills needed to assume management positions in a wide range of organizations. It provides you with a solid foundation in the field of management and strategy designing.
It comes under different names across the globe. In the United States, it is called Bachelor of Business Management (BBM). In UK, a Business Management B.A. (Hons.) degree or B.Sc. (Hons) Management. In Canada, you will have the option of a 3-year or 4-year “BMS degree”. You will also have Bachelor’s degree programs in Business Management/ Administration, Commerce and International Business with Hons. in Management.
The electives will allow you to develop deeper knowledge in specific areas of interest – finance, marketing, human resource management and management of global business.
In addition, it will equip you to understand how organizations work, how they are managed, and sensitize you towards national and international environments.
BMS Course Details
You will be typically be studying the following types of papers:
- Core Course: this is to be compulsorily studied by you as a core requirement
- Elective course: these can be very specific or specialized or advanced or supportive to the core papers. These enable an exposure to some other discipline/subject/domain. These can be chosen from a pool of options
- Discipline Specific Elective – offered by the main discipline/subject of study of management – usually chosen from among 1) Finance; 2) Marketing; 3) Human Resource Management; 4) Management of Global Business
- Generic Elective – chosen generally from an unrelated discipline/subject
Typically, Environmental Science and English/MIL Communication (Modern Indian Language) are mandatory for all.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Aim of BMS Course
1. Build fundamentals in core areas of Financial Management, Business Research & Quantitative Techniques, Statistics, Accounts, Economics, Marketing, and exposure to relevant software.
2. Learning in a systematic manner leading to critical evaluation and application of the concepts to the real world.
3. Use software for data extractions and analysis through statistical and econometric tools.
4. Gain advanced exposure in area of your choice- Finance, Marketing, HRM and Management of Global Business
5. The program encourages you to undertake summer internship to gain practical insight from industry which makes your understanding more meaningful.
6. Thorough academic exposure, practical training, skill enhancement
7. Help students into becoming leaders/entrepreneurs.
BMS Course Subjects
Apart from language papers and environmental studies, you will be majorly focusing on these and more subjects during this bachelor degree course:
- Fundamentals of Management and Organisational Behaviour
- Statistics for Business Decisions
- Managerial Economics
- Business Accounting
- Principles of Marketing
- Business Research
- Financial Management
- Quantitative Techniques for Management
- Legal Aspects of Business/ Business Legislation
- Business Policy and Strategy
- Financial Institutions and Markets
- Strategic Corporate Finance
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Project Appraisal and Implementation
- Business Analysis and Valuation
- International Finance
- Investment Banking and Financial Services
- Financial Time Series Econometrics
- Derivatives and Risk Management
- Consumer Behaviour
- Retail Management
- Advertising and Brand Management
- Distribution and Supply Chain Management
- Digital Marketing
- India’s Diversity and Business
- Transnational and Cross Cultural Marketing
- International Supply Chain Management
- Cross Cultural Human Resource Management
- Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
Skills of a BMS Graduate
- Disciplinary Knowledge – Academic excellence and sound knowledge
- Communication Skills – enhanced through presentations, group discussions, role plays and class room discussions
- Critical Thinking – actively and skilfully conceptualizing, applying, analysing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information
- Problem Solving – solution-based thinking and application of theoretical concepts to real life case studies
- Analytical Reasoning – systematic and methodical step-by- step approach to thinking
- Research-Related Skills – built through research projects of current relevance and critical outcome
- Cooperation/Team Work – through group projects and presentations and case studies
- Scientific Reasoning – logical thinking and reasoning for arriving at conclusions and analytical outcomes
- Reflective Thinking – use of analytical thinking and critical evaluation
- Information/Digital Literacy – use of online databases and research of website and organizations’ literature
- Self-Directed Learning – general knowledge and explore information to make better decisions
- Multicultural Competence – Environmental care, social issues, national issues
- Moral and Ethical Awareness/Reasoning – adopting ethical practices in pursuit of business profits
- Leadership Readiness/Qualities – delivery of a business vision, accepting team spirit and participate in healthy competition
- Lifelong Learning – remain updated on a daily basis and keep aware of changing environment
What can you do with a BMS degree?
Apart from jobs, in a more skilled way, you will be able to:
(i) Analytical and managerial skills in planning business strategies and decisions
(ii) A clear understanding of business management and operations
(iii) Higher order skills in your chosen area of specialization, (Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, or Management of Global Business)
2. Use your knowledge and your skills in understanding quantitative and/or qualitative data drawn form a wide range of sources for identifying problems and issues in a business and design solutions to them
3. Develop innovative thinking and entrepreneurial skills
4. Leverage your transferable subject-related skills relevant for entry level management positions in diverse industries;
5. Create a sound foundation to pursue higher level studies and research in areas of management.
Source: Delhi University BMS Prospectus 2020
BMS Course Fees
Your yearly (annual) expenses for a BMS course would be anywhere between Rs 20000 to 150000, depending on type of college and location.
After BMS Course
You can choose from the following obvious options:
- Masters of Business Administration
- Masters of Management Administration or Masters in Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- Masters of Computer Application
What do you think? Do these subjects interest you? Will you be able to make the most use of the lessons learnt in a BMS course? Or would you like to pursue something else? No matter what your troubles are, we are just a minute away. You may want to talk to industry experts. iDreamCareer is always ready to help young minds from 9th class, 10th class, class 11, class 12 with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
Pages you’d need:
- Vancouver Community College: Your Master Guide
- Top Universities in USA: The World’s Precious
- Best Universities in California: The Golden State of US
- MBA in UK: The No-nonsense Guide
- Study in Europe: Crucial Details You Shall Need
- Jobs in UAE: Trending Jobs in the Gulf Tiger and around
Currently associated with iDreamCareer (India) as the Principal Analyst.