Delhi University is one of the largest universities in India. It is a collegiate university which has at present 16 faculties, 86 academic departments, and a total of 77 colleges all across the city. The University of Delhi is one of the most preferred academic institutions for higher studies as it offers a diverse set of courses at Undergraduate, Postgraduate, M.Phil, and doctoral levels.
(A collegiate university is a university whose functions are divided amongst the central administration and the colleges affiliated with it)
University of Delhi Courses
Delhi University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, M Phil, PhD, and other diploma and certificate programs in a diverse range of subjects & specializations. Take a look at the list of all the DU courses is mentioned in the tables below:
List of Undergraduate Courses
Delhi University offers several courses at the undergraduate level. Take a look at the following tables for details:
List of Postgraduate courses:
The University of Delhi offers various postgraduate courses in several subjects. To know about the subjects offered at the PG level, take a look at the following tables:
List of M Phil and Doctoral courses:
The University of Delhi offers various higher education courses such as M.Phil and PhD in diverse subjects. Take a look at the following table:
List of Certificate, Diploma and other courses:
The university also offers a diverse range of diploma, advanced diploma and certificate courses in various languages and disciplines. Take a look at the following table:
University of Delhi: Admission to Undergraduate courses
The DU admission process for undergraduate courses is merit-based i.e. based on class 12th score or equivalent qualifying examinations or entrance-based i.e. admission is based on a written test as per the course opted by the candidate.
Basic guidelines for DU application process
- The DU admission process for undergraduate courses will be through online mode only.
- Candidates are requested to register through the University of Delhi online admissions portal.
- The candidate must be a citizen of India. For candidates seeking admission under foreign studies must apply on a separate portal i.e. on Foreign Studies Registry website.
- Candidates must have passed class 12th examination of any board/university examination in India or any foreign country recognized as equivalent by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Candidates must have passed in all the individual subjects. Any candidate with ‘compartment’ results will not be eligible to apply for DU courses.
- Candidates with gap year(s) can also apply for undergraduate courses.
- Candidates under the unreserved/ scheduled caste/ scheduled tribe/ other backward castes/ or economically weaker sections are eligible for admission in all the colleges and university departments.
In some Minority colleges, this rule may or may not be applicable. It is requested to keep a tab on the latest notifications and announcements for the same on the official website.
DU Fees for Online Registration
- The online registration process for admission to UG courses is complete only after the payment of the registration fee.
- DU fee for registration for various categories is mentioned in the table below:
University of Delhi: Merit-Based Admission
- Candidates seeking admission to various undergraduate courses must check if they meet the necessary eligibility requirements.
- The subject-wise and category-wise merit-based list applies to all affiliated colleges to the Delhi University.
- The marks entered by the candidate will serve as the basis for computing the total marks for course-specific combinations of Best Four‖ for admission in courses through the faculties of Arts, Commerce, Mathematical Sciences, Music, Social Sciences, and Applied Social Sciences & Humanities.
- The marks entered by the candidate will serve as the basis for computing the total marks for course-specific combinations Three Subjects‖ for admission in courses under faculties of Sciences and Applied Sciences.
- Candidates are requested to visit the admission portal of the colleges/departments for subject and marks related updates.
- Check out the ‘List A & List B’ of language subjects and electives for more details. (table “2.1.2 List of Subjects”)
University of Delhi: Merit-based Eligibility criteria
To understand the merit-based eligibility criteria & subject combinations for undergraduate DU courses, look at the following tables:
Undergraduate Merit-based Admission Process
Look at the below infographics for DU admission process for merit-based courses:
University of Delhi: UG Entrance-Based Eligibility criteria
- Candidate’s admission to UG courses via entrance examinations wherein the marks scored in the entrance test and qualifying class 12th examination will be considered.
- NTA i.e. National Testing Agency conducts the University of Delhi Entrance Examination for admissions to UG and PG courses.
- Following are the list of undergraduate courses for which entrance exam is conducted:
- B.A. (Honors) Business Economics [BA(H)BE];
- Bachelor of Management Studies [BMS];
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Financial Investment Analysis) [BBA(FIA)];
- B.Tech. (Information Technology and Mathematical Innovations) [B.Tech(IT&MI)];
- B.A. (Hons.) Humanities and Social Sciences [BA(H)HSS];
- Bachelor of Elementary Education[B.El.Ed];
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Education, Health Education & Sports [BSc(PE, HE&S)];
- B.A. (Honours) Multimedia and Mass Communication [BA(H)MMC];
- Five Year Integrated Programme in Journalism [FYIPJ].
- Candidates are requested to visit the UG Admission portal for all the latest announcements and notifications regarding Entrance tests.
- Candidate’s selection/ admission will be done as per the merit list prepared on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance test.
- The entrance test consists of 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) to evaluate the aptitude of the applicants through areas as relevant to each subject. The test is of two hours.
- The information on the link to download the Admit Card will be displayed separately on the website of University of Delhi.
- Look here for more information regarding DU admission for entrance tests. (Page number 22, table 3.2)
Delhi University: Entrance Exam details
- DU admission for various Undergraduate, Postgraduate, M.Phil and PhD courses is done via Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET).
- NTA conducts DUET exam for admission to various UG, PG, M. Phil and PhD courses.
University of Delhi: Admission to Postgraduate courses
- The DU admission process for postgraduate courses will be through online mode only.
- Candidates seeking admission to postgraduate courses are requested to register online at the PG Admission portal
- All departments of the Delhi University except those which offer inter-disciplinary courses/ professional courses have two modes of admission for postgraduate courses.
- Merit-based i.e. 50% of the seats will be filled on the basis of candidates’ merit in the qualifying exam. This option is only for those candidates who have a bachelor’s degree from Delhi University.
- Entrance-based i.e. the remaining 50% seats will be filled on the basis of candidates rank scored in the Entrance Test and GDPI (Group Discussion & Personal Interview).
- Candidates have the option to apply under one of the following options:
- Merit-based only,
- Entrance Test based only,
- Both Merit and Entrance test based.
- Candidates are requested to keep a tab on the PG Admissions portal for all the latest updates and announcements.
- The PG Admissions portal is re-opened for registered candidates to update and fill the information regarding the qualifying examination. This is an important step for DU admission for Postgraduate courses.
- The departments will announce separate admission lists in both the modes as per the rules of Delhi University.
DU Fees for Online Registration
- The online registration process for admission to PG courses is complete only after the payment of the registration fee.
- DU fee for registration for various categories is mentioned in the table below:
University of Delhi: Eligibility criteria for Postgraduate courses
To know more about the Delhi University postgraduate courses and their eligibility criteria based on merit and entrance test, look at the following tables:
University of Delhi: Admission to MBA courses
- Admission to MBA (Human Resource Development) and MBA (International Business) is handled by the Department of Commerce, Faculty of Commerce and Business, Delhi School of Economics, DSE.
- Admission to MBA (Finance) and MBA (Business Economics) are handled by the Department of Financial Studies and Department of Business Economics of the University of Delhi, South Campus.
- DU Admission for MBA courses eligibility: Candidates must have passed Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from the University of Delhi or any other recognized university with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- The department uses the CAT percentile for short-listing the candidates for MBA programs.
- The admission to MBA courses is done through a three-layered process including CAT percentile, Class 10th, and class 12th marks; GD, extempore; and Interview score. The candidate has to apply separately to IIMs for CAT and to the University of Delhi.
- For more on the DU Application process for MBA, candidates are requested to visit the official website of the commerce department of Delhi University.
- Candidates are requested to visit the official website of Department of Financial Studies for more information
University of Delhi: Admission to B.Ed.
- DU admission to B.Ed. is conducted via entrance test only.
- Candidates must keep a tab on the eligibility and other admission notifications and announcements available on the official website of CIE.
- The Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) is a full time two year program , offered by the Faculty of Education, University of Delhi at four institutions:
- Department of Education (Central Institute of Education – CIE)
- Lady Irwin College ( LIC)*
- Maharshi Valmiki College of Education (MVCE)
- Shyama Prasad Mukherji College for women (SPMC)*
*LIC and SPMC colleges are exclusively for women candidates only.
- Visit the official website of Department of Education for more information.
Delhi University: Admission through Extra-Curricular Activities (ECA)
- Candidates must know that the reservation under ECA and sports categories is not available in courses where admission is done through entrance tests.
- Candidates can register only for a maximum of 3 ECA categories
- DU admission under ECA category is only allowed if candidates are eligible for course-specific criteria.
- ECA trials will be held at two levels: (I) Preliminary trials; (ii) Final trials. The trials for admission under the ECA category shall be conducted by an ECA Committee (Admissions) appointed by the University Admission Committee
- Candidates are required to visit the official website for dates and venues displayed for the preliminary and final trials.
- Evaluation of Certificates by the ECA Admission Committee will be done only for those applicants who qualify for the final trials. They must secure at least 50% marks to be eligible for inclusion in the final merit list.
- Candidates are required to register in the colleges of their choice according to the schedule notified by the colleges on their official websites.
Delhi University: Admission through Sports Quota
- Respective colleges display and notify candidates for the number of seats available under the Sports Quota (Supernumerary) along with the requirement of Position / Event / Weight Category in different Game/ Sport to the University.
- Candidates are requested to keep a tab on Bulletin of Information for UG courses and notifications issued on the website of Colleges/University of Delhi.
- Candidates can apply in a maximum of 3 games/sports*
- DU Admissions for Sports Quota is based on two categories:
- Super Category: Direct admission without Sports Trial, and
- Admission on the basis of Sports Trial
*Find out all about the list of games/ sports available in the constituent Colleges is given in Annexure VI.B, as well as the list of Position/Event/Weight Category of Game/Sport at the constituent Colleges is given in Annexure VI.C.
DU Placements & other details
- The Central Placement Cell (CPC) in Delhi University’s placement cell and is dedicated to providing students of DU, placements with top multinational corporations, government organizations, and NGOs.
- All the students who wish to get assistance, as well as counseling for getting started in the professional world, can apply for online registration at the DU Placements official website.
- To enable students and make them future-ready DU placements cell acts as an interface between the industry and students. The interested candidates must attend various seminars and DU placement drives.
- DU placements cell also invites applications for students interested in work from home internship opportunities. Students must keep a tab on the official website of CPC for the latest notifications and placement opportunities.
Admission to Delhi University is a dream come true to many students and there are reasons more than one to be happy about it! But if you happen to be confused about which career route should you go for; what course or college should you choose or which career field is the best as per your capabilities, then you must talk to expert career counselors. Find out which career pathway is right for you, and start chasing your dreams!
Other Resources You’ll Love to Read:
Shruti Verma is a researcher and analyst in the areas of careers, industries, and education. She has completed her Masters in English Literature and is an alumnus of Delhi University and IP University. She interned during her masters at iDreamCareer and later joined iDC full-time as a Content Analyst. She is determined to secure an expert position in content space with the guidance of experienced mentors within the iDC team.