How are guidance and counselling helpful? What is career guidance and counselling? Is career guidance really important? Who needs a career guidance expert? These are persisting questions in numerous minds. Yours included, maybe. Well, here we give the answers.
Career Guidance and Counselling refers to a comprehensive & developmental approach.
This assists individuals in making & implementing informed educational and occupational choices. It is an established scientific practice. It is based on making well-informed choices with respect to a student’s transition. That may be from school to higher education and then from higher education to occupations.
What all is covered in this post?
To make it easier for you, we have created a quick guide to everything you need to know about guidance and counselling.
But before moving further let’s first understand…
What is the definition of guidance and counselling?
The guidance refers to advice or relevant information provided by a superior to solve a problem or overcome a difficulty.
“To guide means to indicate, to point out, to show the way. It means more than to assist.”
According to Jones
Counseling is professional advice given by a counselor to help a person overcome personal or psychological problems.
“Counselling means consultation, mutual interchange of opinion, deliberating together.”
According to Webster’s Dictionary
Difference between guidance and counselling
The essential differences between guidance and counseling are given in the following points:
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
What is career guidance and counselling?
Career guidance and Counselling involve long-term methodical self-assessments. Also, unbiased expert assistance. It helps in developing an individual’s abilities in self-exploration. As well as, exploration of educational and occupational choices. And in making decisions about his or her career.
…this was thought to be a practice targeted at higher education & employed individuals. But there are rapidly changing scenarios in the world of work and education. So, the need for counselling and guidance has become critically important for school students too. This is because career guidance and counselling build lifelong skills in making well-informed educational and occupational choices.
Need for Counseling and Need of Guidance Even at kindergarten levels. Yes! Counseling and guidance of young students are considered to be crucial aspects. This involves highlighting a student’s interest areas. Addressing the need for guidance & clarity helps to build competencies in making choices early in a student’s life.
Purpose of guidance and counselling in education
Following are some of the purposes of guidance and counselling:
- Contribute to Society
- Decision Taking Ability
- Inclusion of Real-Life Experiences
- Overcome Difficulties
- Personal Development
- Realistic World View
What is the aim of guidance in education?
Here is the list of objectives/aims of guidance in education:
- Give the person information about their potential.
- Help a person gain experience that will help them make a free and wise choice.
- Helping a person in self-management, that is, developing the person’s abilities and skills to solve a problem.
- Help a person understand, accept and use their talent.
- Help a person develop a sense of worth and recognize their aspirations in the light of reality, taking into account their strengths and weaknesses.
- Help a person choose the educational programs that are most suitable for them.
Importance of Career Guidance and Counselling
- The overall development of a student comes about by allowing her to achieve and perform to her best. This is what every academic establishment should aim for.
- Young minds need to be trained to fill out positions in society. It is extremely crucial to allow the right window of time for efficiently bringing about optimum development.
- Far too many people are dissatisfied with what they do for a living. Job stress may lead to anxiety, depression, or other mental trauma that may be debilitating. So, building a fulfilling career is considered to be crucial for long-term mental health too.
Career guidance and Counselling are, however, not the sole responsibilities of schools or the formal education system. It may be imparted, just as well by competent teachers, parents, counselors, or Counselling bureaus.
Dos and Don’ts in career guidance and Counselling
We must remember, that the sole purpose of the whole attempt of career guidance and Counselling of students is to impact society at large to bring about empowered individuals who end up being efficient lifelong learners! Here’s a small list of what we must do and don’t.
- Make students aware of their traits, strengths, weaknesses to work at, and their overall potential – about their own positive points and pain points with clear guidance as to how to work upon the pain points to improve or whether to concentrate just on the strengths.
- Suggest effective, meaningful, and significant information as a partial solution to their problems – but they must be able to figure out the rest of the story, voluntarily and spontaneously.
- Ultimately, assist them in making appropriate, satisfying, and interesting educational/ occupational choices regarding the selection of a career.
The importance of the need for counseling and the need for guidance when a student is in school or when she is in college cannot be ignored. Career Guidance and Counselling in education have to be approached as a continuous incremental activity that is aimed at creating a dialogue between the students the counselors and facilitating teachers.
Students face tremendous pressure (both from peers and parents) while making life-changing decisions. Career counselling is a supremely essential exercise & the need for guidance & Counselling is increasingly being felt in all spheres of the industry today.
Career guidance and Counselling can be used to bring about changes to attitudes and thoughts in time as the students get to trust the teaching and Counselling staff as well as those involved in the running of the institutions.
The need for career guidance and Counselling is also escalating these days with respect to the rise in the number of new-age career fields that are emerging. With little or no awareness about these futuristic careers, students are in critical need of Counselling and professional advice.
Reach out for unbiased career Counselling for your students or if you aim to train yourself into a facilitator & help students.
- Career Guidance – myth buster guide
- School Toppers realize what later?
- How to choose the best guidance expert?
- How To Choose The Finest Career Aptitude Test
- Why do students need CEIAG?
- Be the torchbearer
- School vs Coaching Institutes
- Career Guidance for 9th& 10th
- Career Guidance for 11th& 12th
- Career Guidance After Graduation
- How to make right career choices?
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you
- August 12, 20226 Comments|
- August 27, 202249 Comments|
- March 27, 202053 Comments|
- March 30, 20209 Comments|
- March 30, 202013 Comments|
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.