Apart from Christiano Ronaldo and soccer, Portugal is also famous among students for their higher education. If you’re considering studying abroad, Portugal is a fantastic destination to add to your list. This European country’s rich history, breathtaking scenery, and vibrant culture are well-known. Portugal offers a unique combination of old-world charm and modern innovation. This makes it an ideal location for international students seeking a truly immersive experience. The Portuguese higher education system is well-regarded. It provides a diverse range of programs in a variety of fields, including engineering, science, medicine, humanities, and the arts. There are many possible reasons for the students to study in Portugal.
Portugal offers a plethora of educational options to choose from, whether you are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree or seeking advanced study opportunities. In addition to its top-notch academics, Portugal is also home to some of the most welcoming and friendly people in Europe. From the bustling streets of Lisbon to the tranquil beaches of the Algarve, Portugal offers something for everyone. Studying in Portugal offers an opportunity not to be missed, with its affordable cost of living, stunning natural beauty, and rich cultural heritage. Let’s find out some more reasons to study in Portugal in this blog.
Study in Portugal for Indian Students
Portugal is becoming an increasingly popular study-abroad destination for Indian students. The Portuguese higher education system is highly respected. It offers a wide range of programs in various fields, including engineering, business, medicine, and social sciences, among others. Portuguese universities are also known for their modern facilities, innovative teaching methods, and emphasis on practical, hands-on learning.
Why study in Portugal?
Let’s now have a look at some of the potential benefits for Indian students to study in Portugal.
- High-quality education in various fields, including science, technology, engineering, and business
- Range of English-taught programs available, making it easier for non-Portuguese speaking students to study in the country
- A safe and welcoming environment for international students with a low crime rate and a friendly local population
- Affordable cost of living compared to other European countries, making it an attractive option for students on a tight budget
- Location in the heart of Europe, providing easy access to travel and explore other parts of the continent
- The rich history and culture of Portugal provide the opportunity for students to immerse themselves in a new and exciting culture.
Study in Portugal After 12th
After completing 12th grade, Indian students have several options for pursuing higher education in Portugal. Here are some of the courses and details for studying in Portugal after the 12th:
- Bachelor’s Degree Programs: Portugal offers a range of bachelor’s degree programs in various fields, including business, engineering, science, and arts. The duration of these programs is typically three to four years. Some popular bachelor’s programs for Indian students include Business Administration, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, and International Relations.
- Foundation Programs: If you have not met the entry requirements for bachelor’s degree programs! Don’t worry in Portugal, there are foundation programs available. They are designed to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in their chosen field of study. The duration of foundation programs can vary, but it’s generally one year.
- Language Courses: Portugal is a Portuguese-speaking country, and many courses are taught in English. Thus, it’s always a good idea for Indian students to learn Portuguese. Several language courses are available in Portugal, ranging from beginner to advanced levels.
- Preparatory Courses: You can also choose these courses if you haven’t met the entry requirements for the chosen program. These courses are designed to help students meet the entry requirements for their chosen program.
In this section, we will have a look at the list of the top colleges in Portugal for international students. These colleges offer several programs in undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses. The list of the top colleges in Portugal is mentioned below:
|Name of the Institution||QS Global Rankings 2023|
|University of Porto||274|
|University of Lisbon||=335|
|University Nova de Lisboa||=369|
|University of Coimbra||=438|
|University of Averio||501-510|
|University of Minho||591-600|
|Universidade Catolica Portuguesa – UCP||801-1000|
The study cost in Portugal for international students can vary depending on the university, program, and city they choose to study in. However, here is a rough estimate of the various fees that international students can expect to pay in Portugal:
- Tuition fees: The tuition fees for undergraduate programs in Portugal can range from €1,000 to €8,000 per year, which is approximately INR 87,000 to INR 7,00,000. For master’s programs, the fees can range from €1,500 to €12,000 per year, which is approximately INR 1,30,000 to INR 10,50,000.
- Accommodation fees: The cost of accommodation can vary depending on the type of accommodation and the city. On average, students can expect to pay between €200 to €500 per month for accommodation, which is approximately INR 17,000 to INR 43,000 per month.
- Health insurance fees: International students are required to have health insurance during their stay in Portugal. The cost of health insurance can range from €50 to €200 per year, which is approximately INR 4,000 to INR 17,000 per year.
- Visa fees: International students from outside the EU/EEA are required to have a student visa to study in Portugal. The visa fee is €90, which is approximately INR 7,800.
(Note: It’s important to note that these figures are only estimates and can vary depending on various factors. Before applying to study in Portugal, it is recommended that students research the costs involved and budget accordingly.)
There are several scholarships available for Indian students who wish to study in Portugal. Here are some of the scholarships that Indian students can apply for:
- Erasmus+ Programme
- Fulbright-Nehru Fellowship
- Camoes Institute Scholarship
- Banco Santander Scholarship
- Gulbenkian Foundation Scholarship
Let’s know each scholarship in detail.
It is a renowned initiative established by the European Union (EU) to offer scholarships and opportunities for students to pursue higher education in various European countries, including Portugal. This program is open to Indian students who can apply for Erasmus+ scholarships to cover essential expenses such as tuition fees, living costs, travel expenditures, and insurance. By participating in the Erasmus+ Programme, Indian students can broaden their academic horizons, experience diverse cultures, and enhance their educational and personal growth.
Known as one of the prestigious scholarship program that provides financial support to Indian students seeking to pursue a master’s degree or doctoral research in the United States or Portugal. The fellowship aims to promote academic exchange and cultural understanding between India and the chosen host country. The Fulbright-Nehru Fellowship covers a range of expenses, including tuition fees, living costs, and travel expenses, allowing Indian students to focus on their studies and research while immersing themselves in a vibrant academic environment.
Camoes Institute Scholarship
The Portuguese government offers an esteemed program to attract international students who aspire to study in Portugal. This scholarship provides financial assistance to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs, enabling students from diverse backgrounds to pursue their academic goals in Portugal. The Camoes Institute Scholarship emphasizes the Portuguese language and culture, encouraging recipients to engage with the country’s rich heritage while gaining a high-quality education.
Banco Santander Scholarship
The Banco Santander Foundation provides a scholarship program designed to support undergraduate and postgraduate students who aspire to study abroad. This scholarship offers comprehensive funding, including coverage for tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs. By facilitating international education opportunities, the Banco Santander Scholarship aims to foster global citizenship and empower students to broaden their perspectives through academic pursuits in Portugal or other countries.
Gulbenkian Foundation Scholarship
A distinguished scholarship program established by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation to assist students interested in studying in Portugal. This scholarship encompasses various expenses, such as tuition fees, living costs, and travel expenditures, allowing students to fully immerse themselves in their educational journey. The Gulbenkian Foundation Scholarship recognizes the importance of education in promoting cultural exchange and knowledge dissemination, providing recipients with the means to pursue their academic ambitions in Portugal with financial support.
To study in Portugal as an Indian student, you will typically need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Academic Qualifications: You should have completed your 12th standard education or equivalent from a recognized board or university in India.
- Language proficiency: Portuguese is the primary language of instruction in most universities in Portugal, but many universities also offer courses in English. You will need to demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction, either Portuguese or English, by submitting the required language proficiency test scores, such as the TOEFL or IELTS.
- Visa: Indian students will require a student visa to study in Portugal. To apply for a student visa, you must have an admission offer from a recognized Portuguese university and proof of financial means to support your stay in Portugal.
- Financial Support: You must demonstrate proof of financial support to cover your tuition fees and living expenses during your stay in Portugal.
Studying in Portugal is an excellent opportunity for Indian students to experience a unique culture and gain a high-quality education in a beautiful and diverse country. Portugal’s universities offer a range of academic programs taught in Portuguese and English, providing students with the opportunity to learn from expert faculty and collaborate with peers from all over the world.
With a relatively low cost of living and excellent quality of life, Portugal is an attractive destination for those seeking to pursue higher education abroad. With its welcoming and friendly atmosphere, rich history, and beautiful scenery, Portugal is a top choice for students looking for a rewarding and memorable study abroad experience.
iDreamCareer is on a mission to reach every state and every child in order to ensure that talent is appropriately delivered to the industry. Talk to our study abroad experts to know yourself in and out! We have helped several brilliant but confused minds with the aim of selecting their most-suited career choices. We have helped many students like Anjana Prasanna who was not very confident about her capabilities.
Later with the help of career guidance and moral support from our study abroad experts, she got an offer from King’s College London! We have also helped several brilliant but confused minds like Aayush, and Tapan with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
Some of the most popular universities in Portugal for international students include the University of Lisbon, the University of Porto, and the University of Coimbra.
Most universities in Portugal teach in Portuguese, but many also offer courses in English. International students may need to demonstrate proficiency in either Portuguese or English, depending on the language of instruction for their chosen program.
Tuition fees for international students in Portugal vary depending on the university and program. On average, tuition fees can range from €1,000 to €7,000 per year. Living expenses also depend on factors such as accommodation, transportation, and personal expenses.
International students in Portugal can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during academic breaks. However, non-EU students must have a work permit to work in Portugal.
International students from outside the European Union (EU) must obtain a student visa to study in Portugal. The visa application process requires proof of admission to a Portuguese university, proof of financial means, and health insurance.
Portugal has excellent study programs in a variety of fields, including engineering, business, and humanities. Some of the top programs in Portugal include Computer Science, Business Administration, Architecture, and Economics.
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.