Estonia, a small country in Northern Europe, has become an increasingly popular destination for international students seeking high-quality education at affordable prices. Students want to study in Estonia because of many reasons. With its excellent universities and diverse academic programs taught in English, studying in Estonia provides a unique opportunity for students to immerse themselves in a dynamic and innovative learning environment. The country’s commitment to innovation and technology has helped it become a leader in digital advancement, with a thriving start-up scene and world-renowned e-government services.
Students who choose to study in Estonia gain access to top-notch education and have the chance to explore a beautiful and culturally rich country with a fascinating history. Whether you are interested in pursuing a degree in engineering, business, arts, or technology, Estonia offers a wide range of programs to suit your interests and career aspirations. This blog will delve deeper into what makes studying in Estonia such a compelling option for international students.
Study in Estonia for Indian Students
Indian students seeking a unique and innovative study abroad experience may find Estonia to be an excellent destination. Estonia boasts advanced technological infrastructure, a vibrant startup culture, and a commitment to academic excellence. With world-class universities and a supportive academic community, Indian students can gain valuable skills and knowledge in a dynamic and exciting environment.
Why study in Estonia?
There are several reasons why studying in Estonia can be a great choice for students seeking a high-quality education. Here are some of the key benefits of studying abroad in Estonia:
- World-class universities: Estonia has several top-ranked universities, including the University of Tartu and Tallinn University of Technology, which offer a wide range of degree programs and research opportunities.
- Affordable tuition fees: Compared to many other European countries, Estonia offers affordable tuition fees, making it an attractive option for students seeking a high-quality education at a reasonable cost.
- Supportive academic community: Estonia’s academic community is known for its welcoming and supportive environment, with professors and students alike working collaboratively to achieve academic excellence.
- Vibrant startup culture: Estonia has a thriving startup culture, with many successful companies and entrepreneurs originating from the country. Students can gain valuable experience and connections in this exciting and dynamic field.
Study in Estonia: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for studying in Estonia may vary depending on the level of study and the specific university or program you are applying to. However, some general eligibility criteria that most universities in Estonia require for international students are:
- Academic qualifications: Students must have completed their secondary education and obtained a recognized certificate, such as the Indian School Certificate (ISC) or Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) certificate, with good grades.
- Language proficiency: International students are required to demonstrate their proficiency in the language of instruction, which is usually Estonian or English. Applicants must meet the minimum language requirements set by the university, which may include taking language proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS.
- Visa requirements: Students from some countries, including India, need to apply for a student visa to study in Estonia. The visa requirements may include providing proof of acceptance at a recognized educational institution, financial support, and medical insurance.
- Financial Aid: International students are required to provide evidence of their financial support to cover their tuition fees, living expenses, and other related costs while studying in Estonia.
- Age limit: Applicants must be at least 18 years old at the start of their program.
If you’re interested in studying in Estonia after completing your 12th class, here are the general steps to follow:
- Research programs and universities
- Check the eligibility criteria
- Apply to the university
- Secure funding
- Obtain a student visa
- Prepare for departure
Let’s understand each step in detail below:
Research programs and universities
Look for universities and programs that match your interests and qualifications. You can check the university websites and admission requirements to determine the programs that are available for international students.
Check the eligibility criteria
Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria for the program and university you’re interested in. This can include academic qualifications, language proficiency, and other requirements.
Apply to the university
Once you’ve identified the university and program you’re interested in, you can apply online through the university’s admission portal. The application process may require submitting academic transcripts, language test scores, and other documents.
Determine the costs of tuition, living expenses, and other expenses related to studying in Estonia. You can explore scholarship options and other funding opportunities to help finance your education.
Obtain a student visa
After you’ve been accepted to a university in Estonia, you’ll need to apply for a student visa. You can do this through the Estonian embassy or consulate in your home country. Make sure to check the visa requirements and application process in advance.
Prepare for departure
Once you’ve obtained your student visa, you can start preparing for your move to Estonia. This can include arranging for accommodation, purchasing flight tickets, and familiarizing yourself with the local culture and customs.
List of Top Colleges to Study in Estonia
In this section, we will have a look at the list of the top colleges in Estonia for international students. These colleges offer several programs in undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses. The list of the top colleges in Estonia is mentioned below:
- University of Tartu
- Tallinn University of Technology
- Tallinn University
- Estonian Academy of Arts
- Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
- Estonian University of Life Sciences
- Baltic Film, Media, Arts and Communication School
- Estonian Business School
- Estonian IT College
The study cost in Estonia for international students can vary depending on the level of study, type of program, and the university. Here are some general pointers regarding the study cost in Estonia for international students:
- Tuition fees: The tuition fees for international students can range from EUR 1,000 to EUR 10,000 per year, depending on the program and the university. For example, the tuition fees for a bachelor’s degree program at the University of Tartu can range from EUR 2,200 to EUR 8,800 per year.
- Living expenses: The cost of living in Estonia can vary depending on the city and lifestyle. On average, international students need to budget around EUR 500 to EUR 800 per month for accommodation, food, transportation, and other expenses. However, this can vary depending on the individual student’s preferences and lifestyle.
- Health insurance: International students are required to have health insurance coverage while studying in Estonia. The cost of health insurance can vary depending on the type of coverage and the insurance provider.
- Visa fees: International students may need to pay a fee to apply for a student visa to study in Estonia. The visa fees can vary depending on the country of origin and the type of visa.
(Note: It’s important to note that these figures are only estimates and can vary depending on various factors. It’s recommended that students research the costs involved and budget accordingly before applying to study in Estonia)
Scholarships to Study in Estonia for Indian Students
There are several scholarships available for Indian students who wish to study in Estonia. Here are some of the scholarships you can explore:
- Estonian Government Scholarship: The Estonian Government offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in Estonia. These scholarships offer a monthly stipend to help with living expenses in addition to paying for tuition. Indian university students may apply for this scholarship.
- Erasmus+ Scholarship: Erasmus+ is a European Union program that provides scholarships to international students who wish to study in European universities. Indian students who are enrolled in a program in Estonia may be eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- University-Specific Scholarships: Many universities in Estonia offer scholarships and financial aid to international students. For example, the University of Tartu provides scholarships for international students that pay for tuition as well as a monthly living stipend.
- Estonian National Scholarship Program: The Estonian National Scholarship Program offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in Estonia. These scholarships pay for tuition as well as offer a monthly stipend for living costs. Indian university students may apply for this scholarship.
- DAAD Scholarship: International students who want to study in Germany can apply for scholarships through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). This scholarship may be open to Indian students who are enrolled in a course in Estonia.
It’s a Wrap!
Studying in Estonia can be a great option for international students who are looking for high-quality education, a multicultural environment, and affordable living expenses. Estonia has a range of universities and programs that cater to a diverse set of academic interests and career goals. And then, the country’s innovative technology sector, vibrant startup ecosystem, and strategic location within Europe make it an attractive destination for students seeking new opportunities and experiences.
With a variety of scholarships available to support international students, Estonia can be an accessible and rewarding option for those looking to pursue their academic and professional goals. Whether you’re interested in a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree program, studying in Estonia can offer a unique and enriching experience that can help set you on a path toward success.
iDreamCareer is on a mission to reach every state and every child in order to ensure that talent is appropriately delivered to the industry. Talk to our study abroad experts to know yourself in and out! We have helped several brilliant but confused minds with the aim of selecting their most-suited career choices.
We have helped many students like Anjana Prasanna who was not very confident about her capabilities. Later with the help of career guidance and moral support from our study abroad experts, she got an offer from King’s College London! We have also helped several brilliant but confused minds like Aayush, and Tapan with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
The language of instruction for most programs in Estonia is Estonian or English. Therefore, students are required to demonstrate proficiency in either language through standardized language tests like TOEFL or IELTS.
The cost of living in Estonia is relatively affordable compared to other European countries. The estimated monthly living expenses for international students range from EUR 300-500, depending on factors like accommodation, transportation, and food.
Yes, there are several scholarships available for international students who wish to study in Estonia. These scholarships are offered by the Estonian government, universities, and other organizations and foundations.
The duration of study programs in Estonia varies depending on the level of the program and the field of study. Bachelor’s programs typically last for three to four years, while master’s programs usually take one to two years to complete. Doctoral programs can last for up to four years.
Yes, international students can work in Estonia while studying, but there are restrictions on the number of hours they can work. Non-EU students can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during the summer break.
The application process for studying in Estonia typically involves filling out an online application form, submitting academic transcripts and language test scores, and paying an application fee. The application deadlines vary depending on the program and the university, so it’s important to check the university website for specific information.
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.