What are your options if you are looking for the best universities in India? How many can even match up to the top and popular universities? Who are the other close contenders?
The list is wide! Looking for a definitive list of the best universities in India? Yes? No doubt this is a massively debatable topic and you’ll find multiple answers everywhere. To cut down your wide list of universities and to make your choice easier we have put together several lists according to common questions that students have.
Do You Know?
As of now, India has more than 1,000 universities, including 54 central universities, 416 state universities, 125 recognized universities, 361 private universities, and 159 institutes of national importance, including AIIMS, IIMs, IIITs, IISERs, IITs, NITs, and others.
All set to know about the best universities in India? Come along!
Factors to Consider While Selecting the Best University in India:
Here are some of the factors you should consider while selecting the best university in India:
- Course offerings
- Faculty qualifications
- Placements and internships
- Research opportunities
- Alumni network
- Financial Considerations
Let’s understand each factor in detail below:
Ensure that the university is recognized and accredited by the appropriate educational authorities. This guarantees the quality of education and ensures that your degree will hold value.
Consider the university’s reputation in terms of academic excellence, faculty qualifications, research output, and industry connections. Look for rankings and reviews from reliable sources.
Evaluate the range and depth of courses offered by the university. Determine if the institution provides the program and specialization you are interested in pursuing.
Assess the university’s infrastructure, including libraries, laboratories, classrooms, and campus facilities. Adequate resources and modern infrastructure enhance the learning experience.
Research the qualifications and experience of the department. Experienced and knowledgeable professors can significantly impact the quality of education.
Placements and internships
Consider the university’s track record in terms of placements and internships. Look for statistics on the percentage of students placed, the average salary offered, and the companies that recruit from the university.
If you are inclined towards research, explore the university’s research facilities, grants, and ongoing projects. A strong research environment can provide valuable opportunities for academic growth.
Examine the strength and engagement of the university’s alumni network. A robust alumni community can offer mentorship, networking opportunities, and potential career connections.
Consider the location of the university and its proximity to industry hubs, job opportunities, and quality of life. Evaluate the availability of accommodation, transportation, and extracurricular activities.
Assess the cost of education, including tuition fees, accommodation, and living expenses. Also, explore scholarships, grants, and financial aid options available at the university.
Remember, choosing the right university is a personal decision that should align with your academic goals, career aspirations, and individual preferences. It is crucial to thoroughly research and visit the universities you are considering to make an informed choice.
How Does NIRF Ranking Work?
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) is a methodology adopted by the Government of India to rank educational institutions in the country. It aims to provide a comprehensive and transparent framework for evaluating and ranking institutions across various disciplines such as engineering, management, pharmacy, universities, colleges, and overall institutions.
The ranking parameters used by NIRF are divided into five broad categories, each carrying a specific weightage in the overall ranking process. These parameters are:
- Teaching, Learning, and Resources (TLR) – 30%
- Research and Professional Practice (RP) – 30%
- School Leaving Certificate (GO) – 15%
- Outreach and Inclusivity (OI) – 15%
- Peer Perception (PR) – 10%
Let’s have an in-depth info about the above
Teaching, Learning, and Resources (TLR) – 30%
This parameter assesses the quality of teaching, the effectiveness of the learning process, and the availability of resources at the institution. It considers factors such as student-teacher ratio, faculty qualification and experience, faculty-student ratio, student support services, and availability of modern infrastructure and facilities.
Research and Professional Practice (RP) – 30%
This parameter evaluates the research output and the extent of professional practice carried out by the institution. It takes into account factors such as research publications, patents filed, funded projects, collaborations with industries, and the involvement of faculty and students in professional activities and consultancy.
Graduation Outcomes (GO) – 15%
This parameter focuses on the outcomes of the educational process and assesses the success of an institution in terms of student progression and employability. It considers factors such as the number of students graduating, their employability, median salary, higher studies pursued by graduates, and the percentage of students securing jobs through campus placements.
Outreach and Inclusivity (OI) – 15%
This parameter evaluates an institution’s efforts in reaching out to society, promoting inclusivity, and fostering diversity. It considers factors such as the percentage of students from different social and economic backgrounds, representation of women and differently-abled individuals, student support systems, and community engagement activities.
Peer Perception (PR) – 10%
This parameter involves subjective assessment and gathers the perception of academic peers, including reputed institutions, faculty, and employers. It considers factors such as the reputation of an institution, the perception of the quality of education and research, and the employability of graduates.
List of best universities in India
Below is the list of best universities in India by NIRF Ranking 2023:
|Indian Institute of Science||Bengaluru||83.16||1|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University||New Delhi||68.92||2|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi||67.73||3|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||65.85||5|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education-Manipal||Manipal||64.98||6|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Coimbatore||64.67||7|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||Vellore||64.33||8|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||63.88||9|
|University of Hyderabad||Hyderabad||62.09||10|
About the best universities in India
In this section, we will introduce you to the explanation of the above-mentioned list of best universities in India:
Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is a premier public institution located in Bangalore, India. It was established in 1909 and is recognized as one of the top research universities in India. IISc offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in various fields of science, engineering, and design.
Highlights of the university:
- It has a reputation for its world-class faculty, state-of-the-art facilities, and research contributions.
- It has been accredited by NAAC with an A grade.
- IISc has excellent placement opportunities, with top companies recruiting students from its various departments.
- Top recruiters include Amazon, Flipkart, Oracle, Myntra, Microsoft, Infosys, IBM, etc.
- The average annual fees at IISc vary based on the program and are approximately INR 25,000-50,000.
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) is a renowned central university located in New Delhi, India. Established in 1969, it is known for its academic excellence and vibrant intellectual atmosphere. JNU offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in disciplines like social sciences, arts, sciences, engineering, and languages.
Highlights of the university:
- JNU has a strong reputation for its research output and progressive academic environment.
- The NAAC has officially recognized the institution and awarded it a Grade Point of 3.91 out of 4, reflecting its exceptional performance.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) consists of a total of 13 schools, 55 centers, and seven special centers.
- It provides excellent placement opportunities to its students, with many prestigious organizations and institutions participating in its placement drives. Top recruiters include Amazon, Adobe, Google, Wipro, Samsung, TCS, Flipkart, Oracle, Myntra, Microsoft, Infosys, IBM, etc.
- The average annual fees at JNU are approximately INR 10,000-25,000.
Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) is a renowned central university located in New Delhi, India. Established in 1920, it has a rich history and is known for its inclusive educational environment. Jamia Millia Islamia provides a wide range of courses to students in Chemistry, Computer Science, and other fields at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. They also offer distance learning programs and courses through their various departments and centers.
Key highlights of the university:
- JMI has a good reputation for its academic quality and research contributions.
- Jamia Millia Islamia University has been awarded an exceptional A ++ Grade accreditation by NAAC, ensuring originality and authenticity in the content.
- It is also recognized by UGC, NCTE, & AICTE.
- It provides decent placement opportunities, with reputed companies and organizations visiting the campus for recruitment.
- As per recent media coverage, Jamia Millia Islamia witnessed a successful phase 1 placement for the year 2023, with an impressive number of over 350 students being successfully placed. Top recruiters include KPMG, DLF, Wipro, Amazon, etc.
- The average annual fees at JMI range from INR 15,000-35,000, depending on the program.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Jadavpur University is a renowned public university located in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Established in 1955, it is known for its focus on interdisciplinary studies and research. Jadavpur University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in various fields, including engineering, arts, science, and social sciences.
Potential highlights of the university
- The university has several top colleges affiliated with it, such as the Institute of Business Management, Kolkata; J D Birla Institute, Kolkata; Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta; Bengal Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kalyani; etc.
- Jadavpur University is affiliated with the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and has been granted a Grade ‘A’ accreditation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- Jadavpur University offers over 130 UGC-approved courses in Arts, Science, Engineering & Technology, and Interdisciplinary Studies at UG, PG, and doctoral levels.
- The university also provides distance education courses recognized by Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- Jadavpur University has a strong reputation for its academic rigor and research output.
- It provides decent placement opportunities, with both national and international companies participating in its placement drives. Top recruiters include Livpure, Jio Platforms Limited, Embibe, etc.
- The average annual fees at Jadavpur University are approximately INR 5,000-25,000.
Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
Banaras Hindu University (BHU) is a renowned central university located in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India. Established in 1916, it is one of the largest residential universities in Asia.
Overview of the university
- BHU offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in various fields, including arts, sciences, engineering, medicine, and management.
- The university consists of 6 Institutes, 14 Faculties, and 144 Departments, providing a diverse range of courses in Humanities, Social Science, Technology, Medicine, Science, Fine Arts, and Performing Arts.
- Some of the top colleges under this university are the Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi; Institute of Management Studies, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi; Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi; Mahila Maha Vidyalaya, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi; and Vasanta College for Women, Varanasi. Arya Mahila PG College, Varanasi.
- BHU has a strong reputation for its academic excellence and research activities.
- It provides excellent placement opportunities to its students, with reputed companies visiting the campus for recruitment. Some of the top recruiters are Pragya, Make Me Builder, Chegg, BHU, Bisleri International, etc.
- The average annual fees at BHU vary based on the program and are approximately INR 10,000-50,000.
Learning about the best universities in India is only one of the important steps to preparing for your transition from school to college. But which university you should choose or rather which course you should study depends upon a lot of factors. Understanding those are critical. Making an informed choice of your education and career is very important. Talk to an expert counselor today.
- Top Engineering Colleges in India
- Top Scholarships for Indian Students
- Top 10 Universities in India
- Best Universities in Canada
- Best MBA Colleges in Delhi
- Best Law Colleges in India
- Top 9 Upbeat Universities
The NIRF ranking is calculated based on five parameters – research and professional practice, teaching, learning and resources, graduation outcomes, peer perception, outreach, and inclusiveness.
In recent years, we have seen the growth of liberal arts universities in the private sector. Some of the top liberal universities are Ashoka University, FLAME University, KREA University, and Azim Premji University.
Some of the best universities that offer psychology programs are the University of Delhi, the University of Mumbai, Jawaharlal Nehru University, and Banaras Hindu University.
There are around 54 central universities in India.
Discover More by accessing the Free Career Dashboard
This will help us share relevant information with you.
Anushree has 4+ years of experience in the career counseling industry as a Senior Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Master’s in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion for writing.