If you’re considering pursuing higher education abroad, you might want to consider studying in Lithuania. Located in Northern Europe, Lithuania is a beautiful country with a rich history and a modern, innovative economy. With a strong focus on education, the Lithuanian government has invested heavily in higher education, making it one of the most attractive destinations for international students. In recent years, Lithuania has become increasingly popular among students from all over the world, thanks to its high-quality education system, affordable tuition fees, and diverse range of academic programs. There are several benefits for students if they want to study in Lithuania.
Whether you’re interested in studying engineering, business, or the arts, you’re sure to find a program that suits your needs in Lithuania. Additionally, Lithuania offers a welcoming and multicultural environment that makes it easy for international students to adapt and make new friends. In this blog post, we’ll explore the reasons why you should consider studying in Lithuania. So, if you’re looking for a unique and rewarding educational experience, keep reading to learn more about studying in Lithuania.
Study in Lithuania for Indian Students
Lithuania is an attractive study destination for Indian students due to its affordable tuition fees, high-quality education system, and multicultural environment. Indian students can choose from a variety of academic programs ranging from engineering to business and the arts. Lithuania also offers opportunities for internships and employment after graduation, making it an excellent choice for those seeking to enhance their career prospects.
Why study in Lithuania?
There are several benefits of studying in Lithuania, some of them are:
- High-quality education: Lithuania’s higher education system is known for its academic excellence and innovative approach to teaching and research.
- Affordable tuition fees: Compared to other European countries, Lithuania offers affordable tuition fees, making it an attractive option for international students.
- Diverse academic programs: Lithuanian universities offer a wide range of academic programs, including engineering, business, the arts, and many more.
- Multicultural environment: Lithuania is a welcoming and multicultural country, making it easy for international students to adapt and make new friends.
- Internship and employment opportunities: The Lithuanian economy is growing rapidly, and the country offers excellent opportunities for internships and employment after graduation.
- Safe and peaceful country: Lithuania is one of the safest and most peaceful countries in Europe, providing a secure environment for students to live and study in.
The eligibility criteria for studying in Lithuania vary depending on the level of study, program, and university. However, here are some general requirements that international students should meet to study in Lithuania:
- Academic Requirements: International students should have completed their secondary education and obtained a high school diploma or equivalent. For undergraduate programs, students should have good academic records in relevant subjects. For postgraduate programs, students should have completed a relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Language Proficiency: International students should demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction. For most programs, the language of instruction is Lithuanian or English. Students may be required to provide proof of their language proficiency by submitting scores from language proficiency tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, or other equivalent tests.
- Visa and Immigration Requirements: International students should obtain a valid student visa to study in Lithuania. Students should also obtain health insurance, provide proof of financial support, and meet other immigration requirements.
- Application Requirements: International students should complete the application process and provide all required documents such as academic transcripts, language proficiency test scores, passports, and other supporting documents.
List of the Top Colleges to Study in Lithuania
In this section, we will have a look at the list of the top colleges in Lithuania for international students. These colleges offer several programs in undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses. The list of the top colleges in Lithuania is mentioned below:
|Name of the Institution||QS Global Rankings|
|Vilinius Gediminas Technical University||701-750|
|Kaunas Universiity of Technology||801-1000|
|Vytautas Magnus University||801-1000|
|Mykolas Romeris University||1001-1200|
|Lithuanian University of Health Sciences||NA|
|ISM University of Management and Studies||NA|
Study Cost in Lithuania for International Students
The study cost in Lithuania for international students can vary depending on the university, program, and city they choose to study in. However, here is a rough estimate of the various fees that international students can expect to pay in Lithuania:
- Tuition fees: The tuition fees for international students in Lithuania can range from 1,500 to 5,000 euros per year, depending on the program and university. In INR, this translates to approximately 43,000 to 1,44,000 INR per year.
- Living expenses: The cost of living in Lithuania can vary depending on the city and lifestyle. On average, international students can expect to spend around 500 to 800 euros per month on accommodation, 200 to 300 points per month on food, and around 100 to 200 euros per month on transportation. In INR, this translates to approximately 14,000 to 23,000 INR per month for accommodation, 5,700 to 8,500 INR per month for food, and 2,900 to 5,800 INR per month for transportation.
- Health insurance: International students in Lithuania are required to have health insurance. The cost of health insurance can range from 500 to 1,000 euros per year. In INR, this translates to approximately 14,000 to 28,000 INR per year.
(Note: It’s important to note that these figures are only estimates and can vary depending on various factors. It’s recommended that students research the costs involved and budget accordingly before applying to study in Lithuania)
Scholarships to Study in Lithuania for International Students
There are several scholarships available in Lithuania for international students to help cover tuition and living expenses. Here are some of the scholarships that international students can consider:
- Lithuanian Government Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to international students who wish to pursue full-time Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programs in Lithuanian higher education institutions. The scholarships cover tuition fees, accommodation, and a monthly stipend.
- Erasmus+ Program: This program provides funding for international students to study in Lithuania for a semester or an academic year. The scholarship covers travel costs, tuition fees, and living expenses.
- Vilnius University Scholarships: Vilnius University offers several scholarships for international students, including the VU Fellowship Program, which covers tuition fees and provides a monthly stipend for Masters and Ph.D. students.
- KTU International Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to international students who wish to pursue Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programs at Kaunas University of Technology. The scholarship covers tuition fees for the first year of study.
- ISM University of Management and Economics Scholarships: ISM University offers several scholarships for international students, including the ISM Tuition Fee Waiver, which covers up to 100% of tuition fees for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs.
- Vytautas Magnus University Scholarships: Vytautas Magnus University offers several scholarships for international students, including the VMU Scholarship, which covers tuition fees and provides a monthly stipend for Masters and Ph.D. students.
How to get PR in Lithuania after studying?
International students who wish to stay in Lithuania after completing their studies can apply for a temporary residence permit or a permanent residence permit. Here are the steps to get PR in Lithuania after studying:
Apply for a temporary residence permit
International students can apply for a temporary residence permit before the expiration of their student visa. The temporary residence permit is valid for up to 1 year and can be renewed annually. The application can be submitted to the Migration Department of Lithuania along with the required documents such as a valid passport, health insurance, proof of financial means, and other supporting documents.
Fulfill the residency requirements
To be eligible for a permanent residence permit, international students should have resided in Lithuania continuously for at least 5 years under a temporary residence permit. During this period, they should not have left the country for more than 6 months at a time.
Pass the language proficiency test
To apply for a permanent residence permit, international students should pass the Lithuanian language proficiency test at level A2. The test can be taken at any language center authorized by the Lithuanian Ministry of Education and Science.
Apply for a permanent residence permit
Once the residency and language proficiency requirements are met, international students can apply for a permanent residence permit. The application should be submitted to the Migration Department of Lithuania along with the required documents such as a valid passport, health insurance, proof of financial means, and other supporting documents.
(It is important to note that the application process and requirements for a temporary or permanent residence permit may vary depending on the individual circumstances and immigration policies at the time of application.)
Wait for the decision
The application for a permanent residence permit is processed within 4 months. If approved, the international student will be granted a permanent residence permit, which allows them to reside and work in Lithuania indefinitely.
Lithuania offers a great opportunity for international students to pursue their education in a dynamic and affordable environment. With its high-quality education system, diverse academic programs, and welcoming culture, Lithuania provides a unique experience for students looking to study abroad. The top-ranked universities in Lithuania offer world-class facilities and experienced faculty, along with a wide range of academic disciplines.
Additionally, the low cost of living and studying in Lithuania, as well as the availability of scholarships, make it an attractive destination for international students. Furthermore, with the possibility of obtaining a temporary or permanent residence permit after completing their studies, Lithuania offers an opportunity for students to pursue their career goals and build their future in the country. Studying in Lithuania is truly a rewarding experience that offers a mix of academic excellence, cultural exposure, and personal growth.
iDreamCareer is on a mission to reach every state and every child in order to ensure that talent is appropriately delivered to the industry. Talk to our study abroad experts to know yourself in and out! We have helped several brilliant but confused minds with the aim of selecting their most-suited career choices.
We have helped many students like Anjana Prasanna who was not very confident about her capabilities. Later with the help of career guidance and moral support from our study abroad experts, she got an offer from King’s College London! We have also helped several brilliant but confused minds like Aayush, and Tapan with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
Most universities in Lithuania offer programs in Lithuanian and English, so proficiency in one of these languages is required. International students may need to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent test scores to demonstrate their English language proficiency.
The cost of studying in Lithuania varies depending on the university and program. On average, international students can expect to pay around €2,500 to €5,000 per year for undergraduate programs, and €4,000 to €8,000 per year for postgraduate programs.
Yes, there are scholarships available for international students studying in Lithuania. The Lithuanian government, as well as many universities, offer various scholarships to help cover tuition fees and living expenses.
Yes, international students can work up to 20 hours per week while studying in Lithuania. However, they may need to obtain a work permit before they can start working.
The duration of study programs in Lithuania varies depending on the level of study and program. Undergraduate programs typically take three to four years to complete, while postgraduate programs can take one to two years.
Popular courses for international students in Lithuania include Business and Economics, Engineering, IT, Social Sciences, and Medicine. However, there is a wide range of programs available in different fields of study.
Sushant has been writing since his early days of childhood and currently, he’s serving as a Content Writer with iDreamCareer. Sushant has two start-ups of his own and he has been writing content for them since their inception. Apart from that he is passionate about writing which is why he is following his passion for writing with iDreamCareer.