Applying for a university abroad requires extensive documentation to support your application. Another important document is the academic transcripts. It is an important document, especially if you are planning to study abroad or apply for higher education in India or applying for a job/internship.
To determine the quality and academic performance of the student at their former institution, all Universities requests candidate to provide their academic transcripts. It is a detailed division of your academic performance done throughout your bachelor or masters.
In this post, we have answered some of the most common questions among international students related to academic texts. You will also find information on the meaning of the academic text, how academic texts differ from academic qualifications, and specific samples of academic texts.
What are academic transcripts – Meaning?
In your academic journey, you must have heard of marks, report cards, certificates, achievement certificates, etc. if not, The academic transcripts are similar to.
Academic transcripts are official educational evidence that includes the subjects studied and the grades/marks obtained by the student. The educational institution or board provides students with academic transcripts while applying for admission to a foreign educational institution or university.
Types of academic transcripts
- Official Transcripts: Official transcripts usually include your exam credits, transfer work, and degrees you have gained over the years. These documents are mailed by the institution and have the university’s seal and the signature of the registrar. These are sent only at the request of the student and require the signature of the student.
- Unofficial Transcripts: This transcript is not as reliable as the official transcript. These transcripts need not bear a university stamp or a formal signature.
What information is covered in academic transcripts?
Following is some of the useful information that should be in an academic transcript:
- Most importantly, it has an official college or university seal. A transcript is considered official, as it comes from the registry office and is not manipulated by any other party.
- A transcript contains all dates and major information. Entire information about the dates you attended the college and complete data about the majors and minors that you have opted for would be listed.
- The transcript has a calculated grade point average listed on it which is for the most recent semester.
- This piece of the document also shows all the educational degrees like- bachelor, associate, masters or doctorate.
- It also contains personal information like your name, marital status, any name change after marriage, student identification no. or social security no., address and date of birth to authenticate your identity.
- It includes your enrollment history, grades that you got, credits earned and attempted and the average of grade-point.
Why are academic transcriptions needed?
The reason why academic transcriptions are needed:
- Pursuing higher studies
- Applying visa applications
- The employment purpose
- Getting the college transfer done smoothly
From where to get an academic transcript?
The academic transcript is produced by an educational board and can be obtained from the educational institution from where you have completed your education. These can be purchased by visiting the center physically or by contacting the authorities and asking them to post these transcripts to you. Official transcripts are always accepted with a sealed envelope stamped and signed by the issuing authority and the reader can receive as many copies as required of the same.
Academic Transcript vs Academic Degree
There is a certain difference between academic transcripts and degrees. A transcript is not the same as an academic degree. The degree announces the successful completion of your program while the academic transcript provides detailed information about the courses you have taken during your journey. Many foreign universities expect their students to produce these original documents at the time of admission; so, make sure you have your academic transcripts in place.
Academic transcript sample
You may check this sample academic transcript before submitting it to the officials.
Note: This is a format used at the University of Vaasa, Finland. The format may differ for various universities or colleges.
Does that put some of your doubts to rest? If you still have some, why not ask professional experts? iDreamCareer is on a mission to reach every state and every child in order to ensure that talent is appropriately delivered into the industry. Talk to our industry experts and know yourself in and out! We try to help young confused minds from 9th class, 10th class, class 11, class 12 with an aim to select their most-suited career choices.
Anushree has 6+ years of experience and currently she is associated with idreamcareer.com as a Content Writer. She has also worked as a Social Media Marketing Expert for a startup and Content Quality Analyst for Publishing and E-learning Industry. She has done her Masters in Commerce and PGDM in Finance & Trade and Marketing & HR, but she is currently following her passion towards writing.