Have you seen “Jaadu” display his jaadu in the recent hit film Koi Mil Gaya? Or the strange characters in Lord of the Rings? Or the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? Films such as these have made use of vivid imagery to have the desired impact on the audience.
Multimedia is an integration of Information Technology, Design, Visuals and Communication. It is a tool which gives various communications media their cutting edge making possible the creation of graphics, animations, text, sound and other special effects. Thus the content we see, in the forms of films, commercials, radio and television programmes becomes much more colourful and effective.
You should have a flair for expressing your ideas through sound, colour and animation. Multimedia can offer an exciting and rewarding career and its related industries have grown exponentially. Market estimates suggest that though the Indian export market of animation in the past two years was worth $ 5 million, it could touch $ 50 million this year itself. Its application across business, education, entertainment, information, etc. makes daily routines and work processes much more lively and welcoming than before.
The creative multimedia applications use technology to communicate information effectively through the imaginative use of digital video, interactive programs, Internet content, graphics, audio, 3-D animation, 2-D illustration and any other computer-delivered media. Specialised classes help you fine tune your skills with computer graphics, digital video, and multimedia programming.
The basic elements of multimedia on a computer are:
- Still images
- Special Effects
Professional multimedia people work in many different fields, such as video and audio production, journalism, advertising, scriptwriting, computer animation and public relations etc. You can also provide technical support to companies by developing slides and setting up presentations.
The basic qualification required by most multimedia developer is that you should have passed your Plus Two or an equivalent course. Proficiency in basic computing skills and multimedia packages is an added advantage.
The course includes graphics, animation, website designing, digital art, multimedia programming, interactive multimedia, working with illustrations and visuals etc. The course is as technical as is it is creative.
- Multimedia developers work with computer information systems, graphics and delivery protocols for software. They design web portals for online learning programs, video games and high-end interactive websites.
- Multimedia developers must design, coordinate and deliver fully functioning products that incorporate sound, full-motion video, text and graphics into one application that is interactive for the end user. This may include web portals for human resource departments, online university classrooms or video games. The developers track all changes with the multimedia project and are responsible for all changes, upgrades and post-delivery patch solutions. They must design, create and test complete and fully working prototypes for the management team. The developer must have the ability to communicate and direct all of the development staff included in producing the finished product. They must have programming skills. The multimedia developer is responsible for communicating with management in response to any inquiries on the project.
- The multimedia developer must train, mentor and develop new staff. They must form and manage the production and design teams. The developer is responsible for keeping up to date on industry and technology changes, and they are required to ensure their team members do the same.
- The ICE careers are among the top ten careers of the new millennium. Some of the coolest jobs are in media (entertainment and the entertainment industry in India itself is worth Rs 16,000 crore and employs 5 million people). Multimedia technology is growing by leaps and bounds in response to the needs of creators and consumers.
- There are career options in the field of advertising, television, film making, printing and publishing, fashion design, web designing etc. There’s a lot of scope for free lancing. Companies like Software Solutions, Image Infotainment and Interactive Multimedia Technologies Pvt. Ltd, engaged in animation and special effects, website development, design etc. are enjoying lucrative businesses around the world.
- Now, websites can be interactive, animated and contain movies, sound and video. They also have to be designed so they can be accessed from many different devices including mobile phones, PDAs and digital TVs. There are also opportunities in research, teaching or in producing e-learning materials. In all of these fields, you will have to get used to working to tight deadlines, and with very creative people who can are often quite demanding. You will need to be able to work in a team, give attention to detail, have an enthusiasm to learn new things and an aptitude for putting new learning into practice, work with people from other creative disciplines and translate their ideas into the chosen medium Moreover, you should be a good communicator and listener.
- Since this is a very technical position, multimedia developer need experience with a number of design and technology programs. Typically, on the coding side, the specialist will need experience with CSS and HTML design. On the production side, one of the design standards in interactive production is the suite of Adobe products. For video production, multimedia developers will need to be skilled in video editing using either Adobe or Apple programs.
- In addition to the high level of technical expertise required in this position, the multimedia developer also needs a high degree of soft skills to work with all the team members it takes to make a successful interactive project. From writers to artists, video producers to coders, it takes a team to make everything come together, and the multimedia developer is responsible for ensuring that everyone involved is working toward the same vision.
The IDC Suggested Colleges
- National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad
- IIT Guwahati (Communication Design)
- Srishti School of Art, Design and Technology
Address: Yelahanka New Town, Bangalore – 560064
- Apeejay Institute of Design
Address: 54, Tughlakabad Institutional Area, New Delhi 110062
- Centre for Development of Imaging Technology
Address: Thiruvallam, P.O., Thiruvananthapuram – 695027
- Arena Multimedia (Branches all over the country)
Website: www.arena - multimedia.com
- Indian Institute of Technology, Powai, Mumbai
- National Multimedia Resource Centre, C-DAC
Address: Pune University Campus, Ganesh Khind, Pune – 411 007
- APTECH Computers (Branches all over the country).
Website: www.aptech - education.com
- Sikkim Manipal University (Launched through Arena Multimedia)
Address: Lady Irwin College, Sikandra Road, New Delhi 110001
- Delhi School of Fashion Designing
Address: Lajpatnagar II, New Delhi 110024
- International Institute of Fashion Technology,
Address: H-12 South Extension, Part I, New Delhi - 49